54. New Beginnings

Thursday, 10th September 1733

Mid-afternoon on the following day, James responded to a knock on the great cabin's door, then he announced, "Sir, Mister Boyle, an agent from the warehouse office. He wishes to speak with you."

Aldrick looked up from his ciphering. "Please, bring him in." He blotted the ink from his pen, then set it down and rose from the desk.

After a handshake and greetings, Boyle said, "It appears the wrecked crew have found a ship, Sir."

"This is good news. How have you learnt it?"

"From one of the men we had sent to enquire, Sir. He happened upon a rag-tag and bobtail crew which he thought could be none other than the lot you had described. He watched as they swarmed over the old schooner which has been laying to Simpson's wharf for months."

Aldrick winced. "For months? Is she derelict?"

"Her owner thought her rigging too weak to brave the return sail north, and he left her here with Simpson to sell when he took passage back to Gloucester to have a new one built."

"How do you know she has been bought?"

"Simpson brought the captain and several of his crew to our office to arrange provisioning." Boyle pointed to the stern windows. "We told them to bring the ship around and moor in the space along from Door G, and she was nearing the berth as I walked along the wharf." 

"Door G? That is immediately alongside us." Aldrick walked across the cabin to look out through the windows at the schooner being pulled into the space astern. "I hope Simpson took no advantage of their eagerness. That ship has seen far finer days." He turned from the windows to face the agent. "May I offer you tea, Mister Boyle?"

"Thank you, Sir. Perhaps a while later. First, I must go and speak with them to arrange their provisioning. They appear to be in a great hurry."

"Fine. Do that now. When you have it arranged, come back, and we can discuss this further. But I caution you in advance to be wary of them; they are an unsavoury lot with several branded felons among them. Their past aside, I had requested they be watched because yesterday they had seized a young seaman and held him as a hostage to lure and capture others they wanted."

While Boyle opened his mouth in a gasp, Aldrick continued. "He has now been released. The threat of being hung for kidnapping brought the men to reason. But I tell you this in confidence, Mister Boyle, so you know to offer them no trust. Demand payment in full before anything leaves our victualing or mercantile stores; they seem the type to load and flee. And from what I have learnt, they will want to pay in debased Peruvian doubloons."

"As I was told by Simpson. All of them over fifty-years-old and as new as the day they were struck. Seems they have found a treasure wreck."

"We shall talk about this later. Go see to their needs."

"I shall, Sir, and you have intrigued me to return for tea."

After Boyle had departed, Aldrick removed the cover on the voice pipe and blew the whistle. A short while later, a voice came down from the quarterdeck, "Officer of the Watch, Sir."

"The ship being pulled to the wharf astern of us is the Avenger crew. Send word below to have the Davis brothers remain out of sight. Also, any who were involved in the adventure at the Red Lion yesterday."

"Aye, Sir."

"Watch the ship and crew without being obvious, and if you observe any suspicious activity that might involve us, muster a guard and arm them with loaded and primed pistols."

"Aye, Sir. Do they know who we are?"

"I am uncertain, but we cannot be too careful. Immediately report any activity which seems strange."

"Aye, Sir."

When Aldrick had replaced the cover on the horn, Elizabeth emerged from the night cabin and asked, "Are we unsafe? I heard what you told that gentleman, and since it sounded so serious, I thought it unwise to interrupt. And now about the pistols; are we in danger?"

Aldrick stepped across to enfold her in his arms. "No, we are safer now that we know where they are and what they are about. Are you feeling better from your nap?"

She sighed a loud hum as she cuddled into his embrace. "Still a bit dizzy and tired, and the ache is still there. I feel wondrously superb. It seems we have succeeded."

"No, not yet. They may still surprise us with something unforeseen; they are an unpredictable lot. We must ensure the Davis brothers are not seen aboard, lest it rouses suspicion. Also, their background of crime and deceit means they are not to be —"

"No, I mean this." Elizabeth interrupted as she wiggled her belly into Aldrick's. "We have succeeded in creating a new life."

He pulled her closer and nuzzled his face in her hair. "How do you know this? Must we not wait until you do not bleed? There remain another two or three days before that."

"Mother told me the first signs are an unusual tiredness. Also, cramps such as come with bleeding, and a dizzy, nauseous feeling." She pressed her bosom into his chest. "And these have begun feeling tender."

Aldrick bent as Elizabeth rose to her toes, and their mouths merged in a deeply passionate kiss. When they parted, he asked, "How long have you known this?"

"I woke to the sound of your conversation out here, and as I lay there still nauseous, realisation dawned."

"Do you wish to cancel our dinner this evening?"

Elizabeth shook her head. "No, I am now looking more forward to it. I will have older women with whom to share, and I would think they are experienced in these matters." She tilted her head toward the stern windows. "Come, let me see what manner of ship they have chosen." 

As they stood examining it, she said, "They have much to do before she is ready to sail. The most obvious need is to add yardarms on the masts."

"No, she is a schooner, and she has no square sails, only fore-and-aft. Think of Elizabeth's sail set when we want maximum control and ease of manoeuvring. At those times, we use only the jibs, the staysails and the mizzen."

"Then why have we the square sails?"

"For running before the wind, which is necessary for sailing in the Trade Winds to here and in the Westerlies back to Britain. Our ship is designed as a combination of both sail configurations."

Elizabeth pointed out the windows. "So, is she not suitable for crossing the ocean?"

"If she were more sound, she could do it, but with less efficiency than we have. Schooners are great for trading up and down the coast of the American colonies, where sailing is mostly across the wind."

They were silent for a short while, then Aldrick turned and wrapped Elizabeth in an embrace. "I am delighted we have succeeded."

She hummed a sigh as she snuggled closer.