11. Stoneleigh Abbey

Thursday, 21st May 1733

The rain had stopped, but the sky was still overcast on Thursday when Elizabeth and Aldrick arose. They joined Judith and Wilson who were already at a table in the common room, breakfasting on slabs of fresh bread, black pudding and hard cheese washed down with light ale.

Wilson sat again after Elizabeth had settled, then he said, "The hostler told me the road is fine all the way into Coventry, a little more than ten miles, but he does not know the way beyond there."

"The route is direct and easy." Elizabeth pointed through the window to the street. "This road goes without change through Gofford Gate and into the centre of the city along Earle Street. After the second church spire is passed, watch for the turn left into Warwick Lane, which is well marked and leads out through Grey Fryer Gate toward Stoneleigh."

Aldrick shook his head. "I am amazed by your details. How do you know this?"

"Father often took me in the chaise into the city when I was young, and later, my brothers and I would ride our horses in."

Judith raised a hand to her mouth. "Ride? On horseback? Oh, m'Lady!"

"It gives such freedom." Elizabeth flexed her arms, clenching her fists and shifting her shoulders. "And such a feeling of power."

"But what about your..." She paused and glanced down, squirming in her seat and blushing.

Elizabeth laughed. "Balderdash! Utter nonsense. Women are as flexible and robust as men, and riding astride a horse will no more stretch ours than it will theirs, nor will it continue a split begun."

Judith clapped her hands to her cheeks, her mouth gaping and her blush deepening. "Is this a way for a lady to speak with gentlemen present?"

"And is it proper to side with myth and fable? To support those who deny our natural capabilities and desires? Wise men respect a woman's strength; weak men contrive to suppress it." Elizabeth leaned back as the board bearing their breakfast was placed on the table.

"Ale, coffee, chocolate or milk?" the serving maid asked.

Aldrick caught Elizabeth's eyes and mouthed coffee. Then seeing her nod, he replied, "Coffee for us both." 

The intercourse among them continued while they ate, Judith inquiring about the ease of learning to ride, and Elizabeth agreeing to help teach her in the coming days. "It is far easier dressed in breeches, and I have a large selection passed to me as my brothers grew." She ran her eyes over Judith's slim form. "You will find many among them to be a comfortable fit." 

After breakfast, they recommenced their journey, again with Judith atop. Inside, Elizabeth talked about many things, including more about riding. "That is how I had travelled to Cambridge. A carriage needs to go first down to London and then back up to there, but a rider can go across on smaller roads. Half the distance and two days rather than a week."

"And you rode by yourself? No one to..." Aldrick paused at the knock on the sounding box, opened the hatch and questioned, "Yes, Wilson?"

"M'Lady, we are through the Grey Fryer Gate, but I see no sign to Stoneleigh, only to Warwick."

"It is too small to have a sign. Stop here, and I shall come up to direct you."

"Aye, m'Lady."

As the carriage stopped, Aldrick said, "I shall drive so we may continue our company and our discourse."

"I would love your company, and I can drive if you are unable."

Aldrick looked at her in awe. "I am fully able. I have had Wilson teach me, and the horses now heed my will as well as they do his."

A few minutes later, Elizabeth sat with Aldrick on the coachman's seat, directing their way. "Three miles for a crow to fly, but it is complicated by the two rivers." She pointed left. "This is the Sowe, and we follow beside it past the village of Stoneleigh to where it joins the Avon."

Beyond the confluence, she guided him to a ford and through it into a small copse. When they emerged, she pointed. "We have arrived." 

"Oh, my! You had said it is big, but I had not thought this large

"Oh, my! You had said it is big, but I had not thought this large."

Elizabeth laughed. "This is only the gatehouse. Approach it, and the gatekeeper will recognise me."

Once through, Aldrick was speechless until he uttered, "All of that?"

"That is only the new wing. The main parts are behind it along the Avon."

"Oh! Why had you not told me?"

"You had not asked." She shrugged. "A Cistercian abbey was founded here during the twelfth century, and portions of the original buildings remain. I was barely walking when construction of the new wing commenced." She paused and smiled. "It took twelve years, and I delighted in watching it grow and having Father explain all its aspects as it took shape."

Aldrick laughed. "As now with the ship. I see from where your curiosity arises, and your broad knowledge comes." He flicked the reins to start the horses moving, all the while staring in awe at the scene before them. "How did this come to your family?"

"My many greats-grandfather was Lord Mayor of London at the death of Queen Mary in 1558, and he was honoured to lead Queen Elizabeth's coronation procession. She knighted him the following year, and he was given this estate two years later."

"But not still an abbey, though?"

"No, it was by then a roofless ruin, having been surrendered to the Crown when the last King Henry dissolved the monasteries."

"So, the Barony comes from Queen Elizabeth?" 

"No, only my name. That became a family tradition." She chuckled. "My great-grandfather was elevated from Baronet by the first King Charles as a reward for the hospitality he received here after the gates of Coventry had been closed to him during the war with Parliament." 

As they passed beneath the imposing façade and the river appeared, Elizabeth directed Aldrick to a road curving to the left. "Around there to the south front. The north and east wings are repairs to portions of the original abbey, and there are new buildings from the early 1600s." 

Aldrick laughed. "So different from my vision of your home."

"What had you imagined?"

He glanced over his shoulder. "Somewhat similar to the gatehouse. I know city houses in London, Bordeaux, Oporto, Funchal, Kingston..." He paused and shook his head. "It seems I do not know country homes."

"We both have much to learn."