52. Realisations

Elizabeth greeted the Cookery Mate in the great cabin, and she informed him that nearly two and a half dozen men had missed dinner while on a rescue mission ashore. Then she pointed to the long table and described the grand presentation the Earl and Countess of Burlington had offered in their in Piccadilly house.

The Mate's eyes grew quickly round as he listened, then he said, "With what we have aboard, I cannot match that splendour, but in London..." He paused. "I shall press the lads to prove us worthy, m'Lady."

"From what we have enjoyed these weeks, I am sure you will."

"I thank you, m'Lady." He bowed and strode towards the door.

While Aldrick and Elizabeth awaited three bells, James entered from the pantry with a claret jug and two glasses. "Since there remains nothing but ordinary aboard, I took the liberty to have a barrel of Count Segur's Latour wine brought to your pantry from the warehouse, Sir, and I have broached it."

"Splendid enterprise, James." Aldrick smiled. "Yes, we missed our visit to Bordeaux. What year is chalked?"

"The 1730, Sir, the vintage you had favoured for our last voyage home." The steward poured wine into the two glasses. "You will find it even better now." He smiled, then blushed. "I certainly did as I tested it for you, Sir."

When Elizabeth had savoured the aroma and the palate, she looked up at Aldrick. "This is more complex than I know from my father's wines, and even those in your cellar. From where does it come?"

"From Bordeaux, but far down the river from the city, near halfway to the ocean along the estuary. The vines are planted in low, undulating gravel ridges in a place they pronounce as Poyack, but spell so remote from that. I shall take you there; it is a splendid place to visit, and the Count and Countess Segur are fine hosts."

He turned to James. "We must load what barrels remain here of this. It is far too fine for the colonies. Is there still much?"

"Seven barrels of this vintage remain, Sir." James grinned. "I have told the warehouseman that they are committed."

"What of other years?"

"There remain many, Sir. It sells slow; the preference seems to be for simpler wines, or sweeter ones such as Port and Madeira. Or fiery rum."

Aldrick nodded. "We shall load them all into the fore hold and not take so much sugar aboard."

"Aye, Sir. I shall confirm to the warehouseman what I had told him about the rest of it. There remain also the many barrels of Count Segur's Mouton and Lafite." He grinned. "Tapping a few showed they have also matured with great grace, and I have had them all marked for us."

"I like your style, James."

"Thank you, Sir. I know your taste."

Aldrick took another sip, then he said, "We will be nearly thirty in here for dinner at three bells, and there remain too few glasses, what with the storm breakage. I wish to share this with the lads, so hasten below to the wardroom and gunroom and borrow sufficient."

"No need, Sir. I have had two cases brought aboard from the warehouse to replace the broken, and to serve if others break."

"I shall miss you, James, as you move on."

"Move on, Sir?"

"With your share of the treasure..." Aldrick paused and shrugged. "Once we return to London, you need no longer work as my butler ashore, nor as my steward here. You will be able to employ your own."

James nodded. "I have thought about this, Sir. A lot during the storm as I increasingly realised the reality of the treasure. Most of us are not ready for it. At least, I know I am not, Sir. Nor are many others with whom I have spoken."

Aldrick nodded, pausing a long while as he thought. "What may we do to assist?"

"We have been talking about your offering a similar style of training as you use to elevate all aboard to increasing skill and responsibility."

Aldrick bobbed his head again, then James shrugged and continued, "Bending a bowline, storm-lashing the sails, steering a course, plotting a position, making critical navigational decisions; these are all skills you teach and imbue. But the skills and art required for pursuing a life of independence have not been broached. We fear we will become the prey of the unscrupulous."

"Indeed, there are many who would take advantage of your naivete and your..." He paused to search for the word, then he shrugged. "Make a fine game of you."

James pursed his lips and nodded. "This is what we have thought."

"It would be best if you engage a solicitor and an accountant. Their small cost will prevent many misfortunes. On our voyage homeward, we shall conduct a series of discussions and instructions to assist." Aldrick paused to ponder before continuing, "I know not what doubts you have, what information you need, but you can help us by compiling a list. Talk with the brighter ones among those you know, and assemble topics about which you need more knowledge."

"That will be from our point of view, Sir. But you will have such a different perspective from having been raised with few if any of our cares and concerns. Your topics would be mostly foreign to us, and we would find great benefit from learning about them."

"Indeed. I shall sit and discuss this with Lady Elizabeth and Doc Haines to find topics."

"Thank you, Sir. I shall go unpack, polish and arrange the glasses."

When James had disappeared into the pantry, Elizabeth asked, "Doc Haines?"

"His family has prospered, and he is of independent means. Through his medical practice, he knows the pitfalls which await the unaware."

"If he is wealthy, why is he here?"

"For the adventure. And to get away from all the disease and death in London. He far prefers keeping healthy people healthy."

"So, is he also part of the Delfe family?"

"He is. His grandfather was a sailmaker aboard in 1678, and again in 1679. He had used his share from the earlier voyage to provide a life of ease for his family while he continued to adventure, seeking more."

Elizabeth bobbed her head. "Like you."

"And like my father, grandfather and great-grandfather."

"Are there others such as this aboard?"

"In addition to the Surgeon and me, we have three this voyage; Mister Charles, Midshipman Brady, and Briggs, the young cabin boy in the wardroom, and they all aspire to one day owning and commanding their own ships."

"We should include all of them in our discussions. They may well have insights we lack."

"Another of your fine ideas." He pulled her into an embrace, and as they kissed, three bells pealed, echoed by a knock-knock knock on the great cabin's door.