61. Return to Treasure Island

Sunday, 14 September 1733

Elizabeth had continued northward in brisk easterly breezes through the day on Saturday, and the evening twilight sight on Polaris had placed her at twenty-two, twenty-six, nineteen, about nine miles north of the latitude of the treasure anchorage. She came port to west and sailed through the night under only the outer jib and a deeply-reefed mizzen, making a little under five knots in the continuing brisk breeze.

Sunday morning's sight on the Pole Star placed her about six miles north of the latitude of the anchorage, and after Aldrick had plotted it, he said to the Officer of the Watch, "We will continue on this course, Mister Wilson, but with more sail."

"Aye, Sir, same course, more sail."

"Let us do it slowly without need to disturb the off-watch. Begin with the jibs and work aft. No need for the square sails in this wind."

"Aye, Sir. Fore-and-aft only and watch-on-deck."

After Wilson had sent Hudson forward to begin organising the adding of sail, he said, "Captain Peters seems a fine gentleman. Sad to see him get caught up with the likes of Roberts and Andrews. He told us some tales last night in the wardroom that cause me to wonder about the sanity of those two. I have no idea how he had managed to navigate and sail the ship with so much discord."

"The more I hear, the more I wonder, myself. He is a kind and gentle person, and it seems they took advantage of this."

"My thoughts as well, Sir." He paused and shuffled from foot to foot, his face reddening. "Judith tells me she has relieved Lady Elizabeth's concern."

"Yes, and it has relieved us both. Such complexity in being a woman. Men are so much simpler by comparison." Reminded of Elizabeth, he glanced at the coaming. "With our increased speed, we may raise the twin hills before the end of your watch. I shall be below."

"Aye, Sir."

Below, in the great cabin, Aldrick paused to plot the position and to read and record the level in the mercury glass before he undressed and joined Elizabeth in the bed. She snuggled into him and asked, "Is all well?"

He wrapped her in his arms. "It is now. But beyond here, with the daylight, we are adding more sail. We should raise land in the next hour or two."

"And when Roberts recognises you and the crew?"

"I had sent the three midshipmen to talk quietly among the crew, away from the ears of those we took aboard yesterday morning. Tell all who had been with me on the island that they shall remain out of sight as the four are brought aboard. Also, the three Davis brothers and Doc and his assistants. Anyone Roberts and his three cronies might recognise."

"That will be difficult as time passes. The men will be prevented from standing their watches lest they be seen."

"Only for a few hours. The shipwrights promise to complete by noon the conversion of a cordage bin into a gaol cage."

"Oh! Like in prison. And the cordage? Will they not foul it?"

"It will be removed to where the beams and planks for the fortification of the gaol had been stowed."

She nodded. "So, they will be free to roam until the gaol is complete?"

He ran his hands down her back and cupped her buttocks. "No, they will be chained to the base of the foremast with Andrews and his two."

"That should be a bizarre reunion." She moaned as she pressed her mound onto the expansion along his thigh. "Let us concentrate on a far more pleasant reunion."

Well over an hour later, Aldrick was wakened by the sound of the voice pipe whistle. Rising and donning his robe, he went out into the great cabin to respond, "Captain."

"Officer of the Watch, Sir. We have raised land."

"Thank you, Mister Wilson. I shall be up in a minute or two."

As Aldrick climbed through the combing, he was greeted by Hudson. "Good morning, Sir. The tops of the two hills are fine to port from the mainmast. My calculation gives twenty-one miles."

"Excellent, Hudson." He raised a finger in caution. "But remember, we must show no familiarity with the place. Captain Peters will be up here to guide us to it, and we must continue the ruse."

"Aye, Sir, but I have said nothing to show familiarity."

"How do you know the height of the hills for your calculations?"

Hudson slapped his forehead. "Stupid me! I shall be more careful, Sir."

"This has caused no problem now. But we must watch our every word when Captain Peters is within earshot."

"Thank you, Sir. I shall."

"Quietly spread the word to others. And tell them to pass it along when the watch changes."

"Aye, Sir. And I shall use this as an example of the subtlety."

Aldrick continued forward to check the DR plot, the transit board and the sandglass, then he turned to his Officer of the Watch. "Did Roberts see you when we brought him aboard?"

Wilson laughed. "He saw nothing but his own rage, and the same when he was bundled back down to the boat. I would think the only ones he might recognise are you, Doc Haines and his assistants."

"True. The rest would be background." He pointed up the mainmast. "I shall be aloft."

"Aye, Sir."

After greeting the lookout, Aldrick stood in silence on the mainsail yard, appraising the two round-top hills on the horizon and recalling details from the anchorage sketch. Then turning to the lookout, he said, "Pass along to your relief that we must not show any familiarity with these islets."

"Aye, Sir. We was told this by the Cox'n. There's some aboard who should'na know what we's been about."

"Yes, and we will rescue the last four of them in the next two hours or so."

"Why don't we just leave them there? Roberts don't seem like the type of man to save. And from what Tim and Mick says, neither are the other three."

"All people have value, Lad. We cannot with clear conscience abandon any if we have the ability and the means to save them."