6. Of Coming Together

Five weeks later — Sunday 10th May 1733

During the following weeks, Elizabeth had accompanied Aldrick on six trips to Deptford to examine the construction's progress. On all but the first two occasions, Mistress Hodgins, the chaperon, had chosen to remain in the carriage, feigning not wanting to soil her boots and skirt hems in the mud of the shipyard. The reality was she preferred to entertain Wilson, the coachman. This allowed Aldrick and Elizabeth to relieve their own tensions in the privacy of the shipwright's office.

They had chosen to visit on Sundays when work had paused to honour the Lord's Day and the yard was empty. Not only did this make it safer to approach the work site, but it also meant there was no concern about being interrupted.

Aldrick had given his copy of The Ship-builders Assistant to Elizabeth to assist her in understanding the structure of ships. Though twenty years had passed since it was written, the basic art had not changed. The discussion and drawings centred upon a ship of five hundred tons, but he had explained that the principles and parts did not differ except in size from those employed in building their two-hundred-ton ship.

Elizabeth had studied the drawings and their explanatory text so she could understand what Aldrick meant when they discussed the ship. She also learned that the design allowed ships to flex with the seas, enabling them to withstand the forces, and that a rigid ship would soon be broken by the constant motion. She delighted in finding flexibility in all design.

So on the second Sunday in May, after Elizabeth and Aldrick had satisfied their carnal cravings, they rearranged their clothes and headed from the office to see what work had been accomplished since their previous visit. As they approached the ship, Aldrick pointed to the groove in the deadwood above the keel. "This new rabbet is to receive the garboard strakes."

"The first planks. When will they begin?"

"From this, I would expect planking the hull to start to-morrow."

When they reached the ship's stern, Elizabeth pointed to a broad, thick beam protruding from the keel as she thumbed to the book's page

When they reached the ship's stern, Elizabeth pointed to a broad, thick beam protruding from the keel as she thumbed to the book's page. "Yes, as I had thought, this is not on his drawing. What is its purpose?" 

"I anticipate being in very shallow water, so I have asked Mister Stacey to extend the keel aft as a skeg to protect the rudder." 

"For what is the rudder?"

"It will be hung here." Aldrick pointed up. "Imagine a huge and very thick door hinged on the stern post complex."

Elizabeth nodded. "Yes, I have seen that in Sutherland's drawings and read it in his text, but he has not explained its purpose." 

"It is turned from side to side, controlled by a wheel on the upper deck to assist the sails in keeping the ship on her intended course." 

They continued their tour of the ship, pausing often for explanations and to embrace, caress and kiss. After she had learned the purposes of many parts, Elizabeth nodded toward the sky and the carriage. "We should go. The sun is halfway to the horizon, and they should again be proper." 

Aldrick chuckled. "That was clever of you. How had you known?" 

"Women often see things men do not. It was apparent by the way they examined each other, and when I mentioned to her my observations, she admitted a desire. My few words with Wilson did the rest." 

"Being titled Mistress, I had thought she was married."

"She is widowed, but that does not stop her natural cravings."

"We can make other use of this. Other ways which involve my carriage."

"And your coachman." She giggled. "He is the key to this. Have you spoken with him?"

Aldrick paused to think. "It is not a topic I would discuss with him."

"And why not?"

"Because... Just because." He shrugged. "I cannot now see why not."

"Likely another aspect of being a man. We have already seen so many differences."

He glanced down to the top of her bodice, his hand following. "I love the differences."

"The differences reach far beyond the physical." She sighed a moan and pressed into his hand. "But I do love your appreciation of them."

After a prolonged kiss, they continued to the carriage where Aldrick tapped on the door and paused awhile before opening it to greet Mistress Hodgins and Wilson.

Wilson grimaced as he scrambled to disembark. "Pardon me, Sir. I have dallied too long this time. It won't happen again."

"Tut-tut, Wilson. It is more comfortable for you to wait inside than atop the carriage." He winked at Mistress Hodgins. 

After the couple had been assisted aboard and the carriage had begun its journey back to London, Elizabeth discussed the voyage to Stoneleigh for the wedding. "It requires four days, and we of habit stop at the Goat in St Albans, the Bull in Stony Stratford and the Wheatsheaf in Daventry." 

She caught Mistress Hodgins' eye. "I shall write the Goat to announce the date of our arrival. They have only eight enclosed rooms, and most travellers need be contented by sleeping with the horses. I will request two rooms, and we will occupy them as you deem fitting." 

"I am most thankful, m'Lady, Your Ladyship, Ma'am." She put a hand to her mouth and blushed. "I am still not sure what I might call you?" 

"As I have told you, your calling me Elizabeth would please."

"I still cannot do that. It is not proper."

"And is it proper what you and Wilson do away from our eyes but not our minds? Or what Sir Aldrick and I do in the same manner away from yours? Where is the edge of propriety?"

While Mistress Hodgins blushed deeper, a smile spread across Elizabeth's face. "And I would enjoy finding a more friendly name for you than Mistress Hodgins. What may I instead call you?"

"I was baptised Judith, but most call me Jude."

"And is that your preference?"

She paused, then shook her head. "No, I have always seen myself as Judith." 

"Then I shall call you Judith if you will call me Elizabeth." The two women continued their intercourse while the carriage rolled westward.

Aldrick was fascinated with the liveliness and intimacy between the women, and he was satisfied to do no more than listen and learn.