14. Of Maps and Plots

London — Thursday, 28th May 1733

On Thursday morning, Elizabeth returned from the privy closet and climbed atop Aldrick on the bed. "Such a relief to be able to settle for a while. Is it like this at the end of a sea voyage?"

"I have not before had it so delightful." He chuckled as he caressed her buttock cheeks. "But to be serious, life at sea is much less tedious. The motion is soothing, not jarring, and we take our comforts with us. No need to go from carriage to inn to carriage; all our needs are close at hand." He paused to revel in the sensations as she guided him into place. 

They remained quiet while they settled into a slow, gentle rhythm, then after a long while, Aldrick said, "Imagine this house and all its conveniences sailing across the seas. If we have stowed aboard all to satisfy our needs, we have no reason to leave the ship." He laughed. "Which is good since we cannot safely leave in the middle of an ocean." 

"True. Hmm." She trembled. "Allow me to concentrate for... Hunn."  

After she had calmed, she rose to sit astride him, resuming her gentle movements, a broad smile filling her face as she picked up imaginary reins. "We can ride to the shipyard this morning, rather than taking the carriage." 

Aldrick chuckled. "I was thinking the same. Leave Wilson to enjoy Judith's company in greater comfort. We can..." He paused as they counted the bells from St Martins. "That was nine. We should finish here and rise."

Later, in the withdrawing room, they sat at a small table enjoying fresh scones with clotted cream and smoked salmon. Elizabeth paused her coffee short of her mouth to ask, "Will you explain it now? You said you would upon our return."

"Once we have eaten, I will lay out the maps and plots to show you. As I have said, it is too complex to explain without them. But allow me to preface. Herman Moll informed me of Mark Catesby who had spent many years in the Americas observing, drawing and writing. He is back in London, and he recently published a grand illustrated work entitled, The Natural History of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama Islands."

"With a more detailed map in it?"

"No, not in it, but he has engaged Mister Moll to assist in drawing one to illustrate his next edition." Aldrick paused to sip his coffee. "I shared the plots and observations from our voyages with Moll, and he shared those of not only Catesby, but also of Jack Bolton and William Black."

"Who are they?"

"Captured pirates."

"And you accept their word?"

"It was part of their bargaining with the Justices after they had finally been captured. They were ordered to provide detailed knowledge of the Bahamas to improve the safety of navigation."

"And, what knowledge would they have to be of use to us?" 

"The Bahamas became the haven for pirates after we closed Port Royal and Kingston to them. Then the ongoing disruption to trade prompted Britain to claim the Islands and rid them of pirates. Bolton and Black were among those who had to moved to Nassau." 

Aldrick paused to enjoy a bite, then he continued. "They had found safe anchorages among the islets, rocks and shoals so they could lay in wait of laden ships heading home through Florida Passage and Windward Passage. Their charts are detailed with dozens of soundings and sights."

"Can the information they have offered be trusted?"

"If it proves false, they will be branded and transported, and until the information is verified, they wait in Newgate prison."