13. Of Love and Marriage

Saturday, 23rd May 1733

The final notes of a Bach prelude reverberated from the harpsichord, and a hush fell over those gathered in the salon as they turned to focus on the three at the front. Bishop Smallbroke opened a leather-bound copy of the Book of Common Prayer and held it in front of Aldrick, pointing to the lines, then he looked up and said, "May God be our witness."

Aldrick faced Elizabeth and took her hands in his as he read, "I, Aldrick Bartholomew Montford, take thee, Elizabeth Anne Leigh, to be my wedded Wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us depart, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth."

Aldrick smiled at Elizabeth as the Bishop turned the book to her.

She returned the smile, then read, "I, Elizabeth Anne Leigh, take thee, Aldrick Bartholomew Montford, to be my wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, and ob..." She paused and looked up into Aldrick's smiling face, then she continued. "And respect, till death us depart, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth."

The bishop suppressed a laugh as he said, "The ring."

George stepped forward with a small red velvet pillow. Aldrick picked the ring from it, and as he slid it onto Elizabeth's finger, he read from the Book, "With this Ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

The bishop made a sign as he said, "May God bless your union."

While Mary played a quiet Handel suite on the harpsichord, the guests rose from their seats and formed a receiving line to greet the newly-wed couple. Aldrick and Elizabeth moved slowly along, pausing at each to receive their congratulations and well wishes and to share a few words.

When they reached the end of the line, Elizabeth led Aldrick to the staff gathered at the back of the room, and they continued the greetings there. The assembled nobility and gentry looked on in amusement, and some, perhaps, with disdain as they slowly filed out of the salon and into the great hallway to talk among themselves. 

Elizabeth lingered a long while with the staff, many of whom she had known for years, some of them her entire life. Finally, with a promise to return from time to time, she led Aldrick out into the hallway to see it empty, all the guests having disappeared around the corner. She squeezed Aldrick's hand and giggled as they followed. "Mother will explain that our tarrying is to allow us to make an entrance." 

"In the dining room?" 

"No, first in the ballroom for wine and more greetings while the staff arrange the food. It was the only way we could do it so all could attend the ceremony." She sighed. "You may need to prod me; I quickly tire in the company of the disingenuous."

"As do I. Did you notice the frequency of comments on the novelty of marrying for love? It seemed almost as an insult from some." 

Elizabeth shrugged. "Defending their sacrifice to continue the family lineage and fortune. They have been convinced that love leads to unwise breeding, which begets but common people."

Aldrick nodded as he guided her around the corner. "A few of them appear to have grown to love each other. Your parents certainly share a fine affection."

Elizabeth laughed. "They are like us, in love, and they have been since they met while attending a play in Coventry. Unfortunately, her hand had been arranged many years prior, so finding no permission, they slipped away on an extended tour of the continent."