31. The Delfe Treasure

Several minutes after one bell of the forenoon watch had sounded in the anchorage, four men carried Jimmy from the shelter, across the strand and through the trees to the longboat, his calf swaddled in cotton, the surgeon manipulating his thigh and foot to encourage the blood. Close behind them, a large man carried the senseless Roberts draped over his shoulder like a burlap of potatoes.

A brief pull by the oarsmen through the calm water brought the longboat out to Elizabeth, and her bow was secured to the boom. Immediately her quarter had been laid alongside the accommodation ladder and steadied, Jimmy was carried up, followed by Doc Haines and Aldrick.

Elizabeth had watched the boat approach, and when Aldrick arrived on deck, she rushed to embrace him. "The gunshot. I was so concerned."

"Gunshot? You heard but one? There were fourteen. My ears ring still from them. Did not Jenkins say all is well?"

"I did not learn until after they had rushed away again."

Aldrick nodded. "In the future, I will have you immediately informed."

"I want no futures of this."

"Nor do I want. But wants have no influence over happenings."

Elizabeth grimaced. "So, what happened?"

"Roberts is demented. He drew a sword and lunged toward me. The lads stopped him."

"Was that the gunshot?"

"They were." He pulled his earlobes and flexed his jaw. "Still ringing."

She lifted a hand to her mouth. "Killed him?"

"No, they shot the sword from his hand."

"Oh! And where is he now?"

Aldrick turned and motioned toward the ladder. "He will be lugged aboard after all others have embarked."

"And his crew?"

"There remain only six, and they seem relieved to be released from his tyranny."

"Only six? Where are the others?"

"Some dead of scurvy, the others gone with Peters to purchase a ship."

"Purchase? Where?"

"I had no time to ask. Maybe Havana, maybe Kingston."

"How long would that take?"

"Grandfather said it was seven days to Port Royal, and they had fair weather all the way. Be about the same to Havana."

Elizabeth nodded. "How easy to find a ship?"

"Here, it would be very difficult. A ship can make more than she is worth in a single laden voyage back to England. An owner would be a fool to sell here. Take a load back and sell both there."

"And if offered double the ship's value? Treble?" 

"Then the buyer would be seen as the fool, but more, he would rouse suspicion. After Phips found the wreck of the Spanish treasure ship, there are many in the islands searching. Any unusual activity would be seen — think about using new, unworn gold over fifty years old. The ship would be followed, so they would not dare return here directly." 

"So, this gives us time to recover the treasure."

"That has been done for us."

Elizabeth tilted her head, a puzzled expression growing. "How so?"

"In the wreck." Aldrick nodded toward it and smiled. "They worked four months recovering it, from the end of April until the storm last week. And I am told it needs only about two weeks to get the last of it up. I had anticipated needing two months and more to..."

He paused at Roberts' cursing and complaining as he was lugged aboard then forward toward the hatch down to sick-bay. Elizabeth raised a hand to her mouth when she saw the bandaged stump.

Aldrick pulled her into a hug. "Hand was near gone, forearm shattered. Doc said it was easier to disjoint at the elbow."

"Oh! And the young lad who was carried aboard first?"

"A splinter through his calf. Doc removed it and stitched him up."

"Who is he?"

"They call him Jimmy. He had tried to stop Roberts from shooting, and he was pierced by a piece of shattering tree when we returned fire."

"Hold me tighter. Tell me this is finished."

He pulled her closer. "The violence is. The loading is about to begin. I should see to organising that."

"How do you know they recovered it?"

"The first lad we met ashore. He was desperate for help for his mate, Jimmy, and he told all. Besides, once I gave the all-clear signal, Mister Wilson came over from the wreck to report his find."

Aldrick reached into his waistcoat pockets and pulled out two gold bars

Aldrick reached into his waistcoat pockets and pulled out two gold bars. "He gave me these. They are identical to the ones Grandfather keeps as a reminder."

Elizabeth picked up one and hefted it. "Heavy. What are all the stamps?"

Aldrick pointed. "This square one is the symbol for the mint from which it comes. The M with the small o is for Mexico. The next punch tells us the reigning monarch was Carlos the Second. This is the royal stamp showing the Quinto tax had been paid, and here you see the date, 1678. The V indicates it weighs five Spanish ounces, and these last two are the impressed rim of an eight escudos piece, a doubloon."

"So much information. How do you know all this?"

"Grandfather has had decades to research these, and after he explained them for me, I took a fascinated interest. I have made a study of it — and a collection."

Elizabeth hefted the gold bar and pursed her lips. "It would take many thousands of these to make twenty-five tons."

"Grandfather says most of it is as ingots, twenty and more pounds each." He looked across at the wreck. "But enough talk for the moment. We need to begin bringing it aboard."