62. Homeward

Aldrick stood with Captain Peters at the starboard rail of Elizabeth's quarterdeck as they slowly sailed southward two cables off the chain of islets, rocks and reefs. "It is steep-to all along here," Aldrick said. "We many times searched for a way between the islets to find an anchorage."

"The one we used is entered from the southwest. A narrow passage in the shoals." Peters pointed. "It was there, between the two hills, safe except in a hurricane from the southeast."

He shook his head and grimaced. "The encampment is at the head of a narrow inlet at the base of the southerly hill, and its approach is easiest through the shallows between those rocks."

"Is there one you would recommend to guide the boat?"

"Wilfred knows the area well. He and Thomas were forever exploring when not diving."

"They could both go."

Peters closed his eyes and breathed a loud sigh. "That was Thomas we brought aboard wrapped in the blanket. Doc says there is a strong chance he will survive."

Aldrick nodded. "Yes, he expressed great confidence to me. Then we shall send Wilfred to guide. Call him, and we will give instructions."

Half an hour later, shortly after four bells of the forenoon watch had been sounded, Roberts and the three cooks were brought aboard and led to the foremast. While they were being chained, Aldrick ordered the ladder unrigged and the longboat recovered and secured for sea. Then he turned to the Master. "Set sail for home, Mister Moore."

"Aye, Sir. With great pleasure."

As the ship gained way, Aldrick called for a course of northeast half east, then he turned to the Officer of the Watch. "This should allow us to clear the south point of Long Island and the north cape of Crooked Island with little or no alteration and nothing but open ocean beyond. Your ship now, Mister Franklin."

"Aye, Sir. I have the watch."

Aldrick walked aft to join Elizabeth on the taffrail seats, and as they watched the islets recede in their stern, he pointed toward the rocks through a broad passage. "The wrecks lie there, and Grandfather has often mentioned that the area is crawling with lobsters, and the rocks are covered with oysters."

"And the Avenger crew starved." Elizabeth shook her head. "This shows well their lack of knowledge. Even Peters with his brightness and his diverse awareness."

"But from their appearance, few would think lobsters are edible." He shrugged. "And oysters appear as white encrustations on the rocks, not at all like food."

"True, but I would have tried everything, rather than starve."

"But that is your nature, your curiosity, your inquisitiveness."

"And yours." She placed a hand on her belly. "We must instil this in our children." 

"We shall, Beth. And if you wish, we can return here and teach them to dive for lobsters and for Spanish treasure."

Elizabeth pulled Aldrick into an embrace and hummed a deep sigh as she looked back at the wild beauty of the islets "I would love that."