28. Roar as a Lion

The Bahamas

Elizabeth lay to her anchor in the secluded bay, the gentle evening breeze streaming her on her rode toward the northwest. Starlight outlined the group of islets which formed the protected anchorage, the ragged line of their treetops discernible against the brighter sky. Beneath them lay rather even lines which separated the darkness of the land from the paleness of the water. 

Aldrick and Wilson stood on the quarterdeck discussing the best way to proceed, while below on the main deck, the Bosun distributed weapons and cartridges to the hands. They paused to watch as he refreshed the loading procedure, rhyming off the steps as he performed them, "Bite-prime-close, upright-pour-insert, ram-return-ready."

The two on the quarterdeck resumed their planning, and within two minutes, the Bosun reported, "Eighteen pistols and sixty-four muskets loaded and primed, Sir."

"Thank you, Mate." Aldrick stepped up to the forward rail and looked down on the assembled crew; then he indicated Wilson. "We welcome you to the Bahamas, and we regret you received a poor welcome from those already here. We know not who they might be, but there is much talk they are Roberts and his crew."

A murmur rose from the main deck, and Aldrick raised his hand. "We care not who it is. What we do care is that we show them we are amused by their impotent cannonade, and we wish to demonstrate our strength. As my wife, Elizabeth, said when she conceived this idea, we shall roar like a lion, then rest in the following calm."

Another murmur arose, louder this time, and Aldrick quelled it with a wave of his hand. "Now, here is the plan. Look across to the port side and find the notch on the left bottom of the hill. Near clear as day in the starlight without the smoke of London."

He paused until it appeared all had identified it, then he continued. "We have eighty-two loaded weapons and fifty-four hands among the three watches. You will form a line around the deck, from fore capstan to mainmast. The firing point is just forward of the port mainmast shrouds, and you will be instructed as you approach it and told when to fire. At two or three seconds between shots, you will roar for three full minutes."

A rumbling cheer arose, much like a roar, and Aldrick spoke over it. "The first half of you, after you have fired, will be given another loaded weapon to rejoin the line. Remember this. They had the ballocks to fire on us, and we wish to show them who has the bigger man parts."

A loud cheer erupted, and Aldrick quieted it with a shout, "Hoy!" When they had calmed, he said, "And all the while, maintain a sharp lookout from every quarter. Mind they do not sneak up from a quarter not watched."

He smiled as hands moved quickly to check, then he continued, "Aim below the notch, in the trees midway between the stars and the sea. Both lines are clear. Cox'n, Bosun, shall we roar?"

"Aye, Sir," came two voices.

"Fire when ready and continue until empty."

It took the mates but a minute to organise the head of the line which had formed. Then the firing began, first somewhat irregularly at two, four, and even five seconds apart. Then the shots settled into a steady rhythm with two to three seconds interval.  

While this was happening, Aldrick asked the Gunnery Mate to assemble the swivel gun crews. After the last of the small arms had discharged, the port side swivel guns, two on the quarterdeck, two amidships and two in the bows, were warned, then ordered to fire as one.

Elizabeth rocked, then a loud cheer arose from all on deck, with many attempts at lion roars, enhanced by the echoing among the hills. 

As the crew quieted, Aldrick spoke, "We should have a peaceful night, but let us not grow complacent. Do not let down our guard. Fifty-four years. We are finally here." Again, roaring cheers reverberated among the islets.

<><><>

As Aldrick approached the ladder coaming, Elizabeth stepped up to greet him with an embrace and a kiss. "Thank you for recognising me to the crew."

He shook his head. "How so?"

"Telling them it was my idea. I value that far more than your telling me you love me. This shows it; that only talks about it."

He pulled her into his chest, and their lips merged in a passionate kiss. When they separated, he said, "It is difficult. You heard the grumbling among the crew when I said it. Many of them find it strange to accept a woman as anything but a plaything or a bearer of children."

"And what of Queen Elizabeth? Queen Mary? Queen Anne?" Elizabeth shrugged. "England grew in strength under each."

"They see those as not women, but as monarchs. Not ordinary women."

"And what is an ordinary woman? An ordinary man, for that matter?"

Aldrick nodded, remaining silent as he led her down the ladder and into the great cabin. Judith greeted them as she lit gimballed sconces on the bulkheads. "The shutters are now in place, and we may see again. I have supper coming for six for when George comes off watch."

"Thank you, Judith. Six? Who will join us this evening?"

"I thought we would have the Coxman and Seaman Ferguson since they are coming already, m'Lady."

"You still have trouble calling me Elizabeth."

"I do. I tried, but it is unnatural for me."

"Do you mind my calling you Judith?"

She shook her head. "No, I find it friendly and endearing."

"And I would find it the same if you were to call me Elizabeth."

"I will try again, m'Lady — Elizabeth. It is so strange to..." Judith paused to count the eight bells. "George will soon be here."

Aldrick's face spread into a broad smile at the sound. "I have ordered them rung as loud as possible that those ashore are reminded of our presence and our constant watch. The peals will add to their pother, and they will know not when the next volley will come. Nor from where. They will neither move nor rest this night."