29. Dawn Ashore

Aldrick welcomed the Coxswain and Seaman Ferguson into the great cabin and showed them to chairs beneath the stern windows, then before he seated himself, he asked the hand, "Do you wish to tell me in private, or is it something you can share with us all?"

The young lad paused a moment, then he said, "Tis something you all should know, now seeing what is. Roberts got hisself an old navergator. Name's Peters, I heered. Another said 'twas Potters. Does'na matter, Sir. Story goes he sailed the seas in Queen Anne's days as a mate up on the poop, and he can read a map and find the way as good as any. But that's just what I heered. No telling what truth there be in it, Sir."

"Did you tell anyone you were sailing south?"

"Oh, no, Sir." He tapped his head. "Like we was warned. Loose talk and boasting 'n all that. Nones I were with peeped a word about the south septing to agree tis the horrorcane season now. That's where the talk started; it did. An old salt talking bout Roberts and his riffraff crew aboard Avenger down there now with the summer storms, and another tar bringing up Peters or Potters inta the story and all his skill and all."

"Thank you, Lad. What of else did you hear?"

"From then, the talk went to Peters, though it could be Potters, and him been set ashore for letting his ship drag with the ebb broadsides onto London Bridge. Too far into his rum, they said. Too little care. None would have him afore Roberts took him."

Aldrick nodded. "This is most valuable, Lad. It explains how Roberts might have found his way into here. And it argues stronger that the wreck is his and that it is him and his crew ashore."

"Aye, Sir. And this is why I wanted to tell you. From what you said up the mast, it could help the ship."

"It does, Lad. Very much. We are now dealing with less unknown, and the more we know, the better the decisions we make, and the safer we..." Aldrick paused as the steward and two cabin boys entered, each carrying a large wooden box.

As he entered the cabin, the steward asked, "Shall I serve the wine now, Sir?"

"We shall pass on the wine this evening, James. Too much happening, and we all need clear heads."

"Aye, Sir."

The group discussed ideas on the best way to proceed, and by the time the table had been laid and they moved to supper, the decision was to launch the longboats tonight, so they are ready. Before sitting, Aldrick crossed to the chart table, uncovered the speaking horn and blew the whistle.

A short while later, Franklin replied from the quarterdeck, "Officer of the Watch, Sir."

"Rig the starboard boat boom and launch both longboats onto it."

"Aye, Sir. Longboats to the starboard boom."

Aldrick returned to the table, the discussion continuing while they ate.

Monday, 31st August 1733

As five bells of the morning watch pealed, hands climbed down into the boats while those on deck lowered bundles of muskets and canvas sacks filled with pistols and cartridges. The sun had not yet lightened the eastern sky when Aldrick followed Wilson down into the boats.

"Let us away. Godspeed, Mister Wilson."

"Thank you, Sir. And Godspeed to you." At this, Wilson ordered the men on the sweeps to pull gently with as little sound as possible toward the beached ship.

Aldrick directed his boat in the same quiet manner toward the south end of the eastern islet. The breeze was more gentle than on the previous days, and the water in the protected anchorage was rather flat. What little swell remained from the storm was broken by the exposed reef running from the point, making their landing easy.