47. Port Royal and Kingston

Tuesday, 8th September 1733

On the second Tuesday in September, Elizabeth sailed westward in the gentle forenoon breeze off the southeast coast of Jamaica. From shortly after morning twilight, when Point Morant had risen above the horizon, the Officers of the Watch had ensured a fix was shot and plotted every quarter-hour, both for practice and for safety. They were about to enter waters strewn with rocks and shoals, and accurate knowledge of their position was essential to finding the entrance to the safe channel.

 They were about to enter waters strewn with rocks and shoals, and accurate knowledge of their position was essential to finding the entrance to the safe channel

As the ship approached Great Plumb Point, Aldrick again checked the harbour plan on the chart table. Then he said to the Officer of the Watch, "I will take her from here, Mister Charles."

"Thank you, Sir. I was about to request that you do." 

With canvas reduced to the jibs, the main staysail, and the mizzen, Aldrick ordered the helmsman to steer on the left edge of Fort Charles, and he conned Elizabeth between the point and the Middle Ground reefs. Past Lime Key, he ordered a new course of southwest until clear of Rackum Key, then back to west. All the while, Mister Moore called sail adjustments. 

In this manner, Aldrick brought Elizabeth past the hazards into Port Royal, and then through the narrow gut into the more open waters of Kingston Harbour. After two tacks upwind toward the town, he ordered the longboats launched, and the sails struck.

While the boats pulled them toward the wharves jutting from the shore, Aldrick snuggled into Elizabeth's back and extended his arm forward, pointing. "Those are the Montford Wharves, and the buildings are our warehouses. We will lie alongside there to discharge our cargo."

"Is this safe with what we have aboard? Would it not be safer to anchor and discharge with barges, as we saw being done in London?"

"We would arouse suspicion were we not to use our wharves. There is ample space for more ships alongside, and people would question."

Elizabeth shook her head. "How would any connect us to anything? You had previously said we would appear as any other ship in the harbour."

"We would, unless we did something unusual." Aldrick chuckled. "Such as offloading cargo by lighter to the wharf when there is obvious place for us to moor there. Those along the waterfront observe all activity, and they have little to talk about except goings-on. Word and suspicion spread quickly, and they will seek answers to any unusual activity."

She nodded. "And if Peters and his crew managed to survive the storm and make it here?"

"We would appear as any other ship. They do not know us."

"But, at the Montford wharves?"

"Hundreds of ships lie there through the year to load or discharge. These are very busy warehouses, serving many of the islands and settlements." 

"Will the treasure not be seen as the wharfmen unload the other cargo? It is bright, shiny and eye-catching." 

"I have set the shipwrights to designing and installing a false floor above it. With the density of gold and silver, it requires only about eight by ten feet and a foot deep, spread to distribute its weight." 

Half an hour later, after Elizabeth had been secured to the wharf, Aldrick and Brady went ashore and up to Port Royal Street to the Customs House to report their arrival with the Royal mail and to ask permission to land. 

When an agent had been sent to attend to the mail's offloading, Aldrick and Brady were escorted to Comptroller Radford's office, and he invited them in for tea. After introducing Brady to the portly old man, they settled into deeply cushioned chairs, and Aldrick said, "We have aboard five French shipwreck survivors, all suffering from severe starvation. Our surgeon attests they have no contagion, nor do any of our crew." 

"Where did you find them?"

"They found us as we lay at anchor in the Bahamas last week waiting for a storm to pass. They had wrecked many weeks previous, and two are now too weak walk. Because they are French, I thought you would want to know before we transport them to the Infirmary."

"Indeed, yes. I shall have someone see to having a waggon sent to your ship, and we will transport them. Save you the trouble of it."

"Thank you, Sir." 

"What interesting wines have you brought this time?" 

"Unfortunately, conditions were unsuitable for entering the Gironde to Bordeaux, so we have only hard goods to offload. And since much of it is destined for other colonies, I request you again apply tariffs only to that which remains in Jamaica. We will provide a bond." 

Radford laughed. "The usual request from your family. Is the Baron still hale?"

"He was strong and cheerful when he wished us Godspeed as we left Saviour Docks last month. He is now in his eighty-sixth year."

"And Sir Edmond?"

Aldrick grimaced. "Father was lost at sea last year. Foundered in the Thames Approaches while returning from here."

"No! Oh, no!" The elderly man shook his head. "I have not heard."

"We had decided to keep it quiet the first few months. He had been the driving strength of the companies, and I am young and rather unknown. We feared our competitors might take advantage of this by announcing our weakened state and spreading doubts about our continuance."

Radford nodded, then he pointed out the windows to the wharves and warehouses down the slope. "From what I see and hear, you remain by far the most active among all of those here."

"Yes, and from the from the reports I receive, we are." Aldrick shrugged. "And we continue to grow, both with the shipping, the warehousing, and the retailing, all providing a steady flow of tariffs for the Crown."

The three men remained silent as tea was brought in and served, and when the steward had departed, they resumed their conversation. The Comptroller expounded on the rapid expansion of the sugar plantations with the steady arrival of shiploads of workers.

At a pause, Aldrick switched to news from London, and for a long while, he answered Radford's many questions. Then he said, "We have a sea-weary crew aboard who are eager to stretch their legs ashore." He chuckled. "As the Baron would have said, both their long and short legs. Shall I assume we are cleared to allow them to do so, Sir?"

"Indeed, yes. I should not have delayed you with my thirst for gossip and news, Sir." He tilted his head. "And why do you honour me with sir, Sir? You are now a baronet and heir to a barony."

"His Majesty's appointment of you as Comptroller, Sir." Aldrick shrugged. "And respect for your knowledge, wisdom and judgement."

Radford laughed. "You mean my advanced age? Shall we see more of you this visit? Dine with the Governor one evening?"

"I have my wife aboard, so it would mean entertaining two of us."

"Then we shall include our wives as well; make it a grand feast. I will send word to your ship. What is she now? Delfe VIII, VIX?"

"When father foundered in Delfe VIII, I decided it was time for a new name. She is Elizabeth."

"A noble choice." He stood and motioned toward the door. "I shall have details sent to you aboard Elizabeth later in the day or on the morrow."