30. Roberts

Aldrick and the fourteen hands followed the young lad along the trail which curved through the trees and shrubs around the base of the low hill. When the strand of sand and the water beyond it appeared through the leaves, Aldrick said in a hushed voice, "Stop here, DeDavis. Men, gather around with your pistols at the ready."

While the men assembled, Aldrick looked into Davis' eyes; then he pointed out through the remaining trees. "Tell us where the gun is. Is one of those four Roberts? Anything else we should know so we can safely get Jimmy the care he needs?"

"Gun's over there, just afore the rise." He raised and swung his arm to the left. "Easy to find with all them broken trees round it." Then he turned and pointed. "The one facing the water, that's Roberts. You can tell by his grey hair. Jimmy's over there to the right, under the canvas just inta the trees."

"And who of else? I see only four at the fire."

"Mick was with Jimmy when I left for the water."

"Fine. Anything more we should know that would make it not safe for us to help Jimmy?"

"Nothing, Sir." The young lad paused for a short while, then he pointed. "Cept the Captain. There's no knowing what he does or when or why."

"Right. You stay out of the way. We want no harm to come to any. Go skirt around in the trees to tell Jimmy help is coming."

Aldrick stepped through the last of the copse, directing the hands to flank him, seven on each side, pistols cocked and pointing straight up. When he was satisfied with the formation, he motioned forward and began walking across the beach toward the four men, the smell of charred fish growing stronger as they approached.

Three men rose from their rocks at the fire and stepped back a few paces, leaving the old man on his own.

Aldrick stopped five yards short and signalled his men to form a shallow arc. "Good morning, John Roberts."

"Did I ask yer to talk? No? Then silent til I does." Roberts turned the stick on which was impaled a near-black piece of fish. "T'is burnt. Why din ya tell me, Willm?" He raised his head and looked to the right. "Willm? Why is yer t'there?"

"I say again, good morning, John Roberts."

The old man turned with a scowl on his face; then he looked up at Aldrick and the line of men on each side. "Who be you?"

"Captain Montford of the ship, Elizabeth."

"How dare you enter my anchorage?"

"This is my grandfather's anchorage. He was here fifty-four years ago."

"As were my father. T'is mine as much as t'is yours."

"Your father's mutiny caused the ships to wreck. He lost his right as well as yours."

"False accused, he forever said." 

"To you, he would say that, and that does not alter reality. But by justice, it was fairly handled." 

"Bah! Justice. The enemy a the poor."

"Had your father not led the mutiny, two parts in one hundred twelve of the treasure would be his. Yours. Your family's. Instead, you are born into destitution and squalor, having to thieve to survive."

"I d'na thieve."

"I know your record."

"False accused. All of 'em."

"If you will, but we have more pressing matters than debate. We are here to ensure our safety and to tend to Jimmy's wound."

"How d'you know about Jimmy?"

"Come, Roberts. Let us get some help for you as well."

"Captain Roberts, to you."

"You have no ship."

"I do." He rose and pointed. "It lies there."

"The abandoned wreck? We have boarded her and taken possession."

"Then I shall take it back." Roberts drew his sword and rushed forward, aiming it straight at Aldrick's gut.

"Fire to disarm."

The sword went flying, and Roberts fell to his knees, clutching his left hand around the tattered remnants of his right.

"Tompkins, a tourniquet. Jenkins, take six back to the boat. Go fetch the surgeon. Land over there by the gun swath. Tell him to bring his kit and assistants — he has a hand to amputate and maybe a leg."

While Tompkins and another applied a tourniquet to Robert's forearm, Aldrick beckoned the men from beyond the fire. "You three, come here. Do we have your cooperation, or do we need force?"

"You have us, Sir," replied one as they approached, the others nodding and saying, "Aye."

"Fine. Is there anyone else around here?"

"Mick and Jimmy in the shelter and Tim gone to fetch water."

"When my lads have eased the bleeding, assist him to the shelter."

"Aye, Sir. But he will not allow us to help."

"Bind and drag him if necessary. The surgeon will not work out here in this filth. Knock him on the head if needed. He is no more your captain. Treat him like a piece of meat if you must."

"With great pleasure, Sir."