8. Into the Midlands

Aldrick pulled aside a corner of a window curtain when the carriage stopped. Seeing they were in a stream, not at another turnpike, he turned to open the hatch and speak up through it. "What place is this, Wilson?"

"A ford, Sir. I know not what name it has, but it runs fresh, and I have paused to allow the horses to drink. We have now passed the seventh milestone, and fourteen remain before St Albans."

"Find a place in an hour or two where we might stop to eat in comfort."

"Aye, Sir."

Elizabeth rose and pulled the curtain wider to examine the place; then she spoke up through the hatch. "This is the Silkstream ford, Wilson. Another hour and a half, just beyond the village of Elstree, is the Tykes ford where you will find a pleasant stop beneath huge oaks."

"Yes, m'Lady. Would that be fine, Sir?"

"If she says it is; it is."

"Aye, Sir."

Aldrick closed the hatch and turned to Elizabeth. "How do you know this road so well?"

"Many times we accompanied Father to London when he sat with the Lords. Later, we travelled for the season when Mother became obsessed with finding me a suitable husband." She grimaced. "What dreadful affairs those parties and balls, and what foppish sophists, the men."

"I missed that entire scene. I was either reading at Cambridge or away on sea voyages." He sighed. "Besides, when I came of age, Mother was no longer with us to press me into it."

"You would have found it as vapid as did I."

"From the tales I have heard, I am sure." At Elizabeth's invitation, Aldrick resumed his position atop her on the seat. "Why had you not informed me of your familiarity with the roads?"

"I tried, but you allowed Wilson's voice to prevail above mine." She shrugged. "A woman's opinion is not valued."

"But I took your advice about the broader wheels."

"You did because Wilson admits to having some occasional experience beyond the last of the turnpikes, and he supported my idea." 

"It does come to that. And to your being seen as of no consequence." Aldrick remained silent as he reconnected and began gently moving, then having found his rhythm, he said, "That reminds me of an attitude in one of Shakespeare's plays. Do you know his works?" 

She sighed a moan as she enjoyed the renewed sensations. "He was born down the River Avon from Stoneleigh, and Mother instructed me with readings from his plays until I was able to read them on my own." 

"The scene I see is from the final act in Measure for Measure, the Duke Vincencio and the veiled Mariana."

"I know it well — Pardon, my lord, I will not show my face until my husband bid me."

Aldrick chuckled. "Yes, that is the one — What, are you married?"

"No, my lord."

"Are you a maiden?"

"No, my lord." Elizabeth giggled as she churned her hips.

"A widow, then?"

"Neither, my lord."

"Why, you are nothing then. Neither maiden, widow, nor wife?" Aldrick shook his head. "Men deny the free spirit of women with attitudes such as these, and they are so imbued, I often follow, unthinking."

"Most men do."

"Remind me of this if ever I forget."

"I will remind you often, then. It is the normal thinking of men."

They continued their pleasant intercourse while the carriage rolled slowly onward, the gentle movement complementing their own. They were again proper and seated with the curtains tied open when, shortly past noon, they arrived at the ford of the Tykes.

Within a few minutes, the four were sitting on blankets spread beneath the oaks with ham, bread and cheese on a board between them. As they ate, Elizabeth described the onward route to Wilson, and when she had finished, she turned to Judith. "Has Wilson mentioned he is going to sea in August?"

"He has." She sighed. "And it pains us both. I have asked if I might go with him, but he tells me women are not allowed in the ship."

"But if women were allowed, would you want to go with him?"

She looked into Wilson's eyes, then back to Elizabeth's. "Yes, if it were permitted, but the ship's captain has a strict rule — no women, neither in port nor at sea. I have thought of dressing as a man, but he says I would soon be found out and put ashore."

Wilson blushed as he lowered his eyes and took Judith's hand, then without looking at Aldrick, he said, "I am considering not going on this voyage, Sir."

Aldrick nodded. "I have seen the growing affinity. Would you welcome her to sail with you if I were to allow it?"

"I would, Sir. But she has no experience at sea."

"Nor had you or I on our first voyages."

"True. But she cannot be a cabin boy. What would she —"

"You can continue as my lady's maid," Elizabeth interrupted, delighted at seeing Judith's dawning realisation. "But we must keep this only among ourselves until after the ceremony. I fear Father will deny his permission for us to wed if he learns of it."

Judith pressed her crossed forefingers to her lips as a smile grew. "I shall breathe not a word of it."

The four discussed details as they continued eating. Among the topics was the need to wear loose-fitting men's clothing, both for comfort and for safety, but also to not so easily remind the crew of the pleasures they miss.

When Elizabeth asked about the comforts aboard, Aldrick replied, "I am to meet with Mister Stacey and his architect the first week of June to establish the layout of her interior. We four can sit together and sketch ideas for our cabins and the —"

"Cabins?" Elizabeth grimaced. "Surely we can do better than hovels." 

Aldrick laughed. "No, not a cabin in the sense of an animal shelter. The spaces for officers aboard ships are called cabins and the wardroom. Below them, the gunroom accommodates midshipmen and mates, and the hands live in messes forward." 

"Oh, dear! More new names to learn. And in our cabin, will we have sufficient space to relax?"

"Our great cabin will be over twenty feet broad, and it will extend from the stern windows to just abaft the mizzenmast, twenty feet or more. And directly above it, on the quarterdeck, our space will stretch to every horizon and to the heavens above."

Elizabeth drew a deep breath and eased a long sigh. "And I would think the air will be as fresh there as it is here. I do hate the stench of the city where I dare not breathe deeply."

"You will enjoy the sea air. It has a slight salt tang, which adds to its freshness. I miss it." He lifted her hand to his lips and lingered as his mind drifted.