38. Recognitions

Thursday, 3rd September 1733

The storm raged above Elizabeth all day Wednesday and into the night, with the shrieking in the shrouds a constant reminder of the violence of the winds not far away. Long, high swells refracted around the tip of the island six miles to the south, and they made their way up the bay, adding a roll to the ship's yaw and her occasional shuddering as one anchor rode or the other grew taut.

For a day and a half, the pattern of sounds and movements had become an ingrained background, and the change was the first thing Aldrick noticed when he awoke to the light of Thursday's dawn. The wailing howl had been replaced by a lower-pitched tone, and the movement was less jarring. He rolled and lifted onto his elbows to look through the windows at the continuing heavy rain.

Elizabeth rose to her forearms beside him, and said, "I sense the worst has passed."

"It appears to have. Another day and we should be able to sail."

"Or stay here and enjoy for a while. Give the crew a break. Allow them to relax. They have worked non-stop for more than three weeks."

"Four, five or six weeks is not unusual. We were often that on a passage from London to Kingston."

"Then we have one, two or three weeks in hand before we are overdue. Will any be concerned if we do not arrive next week? Or the following week?"

Aldrick shook his head. "No, they would think we have been dodging the storms."

"Let us allow them to think that. It would serve no harm, only benefit."

"True." He turned and kissed her, then he rolled her on top of him. "You seem always to have a more sensible approach."

"Not always. Most of the time your decisions are very sensible, and I question only when I think they might not be the best." She rose and grazed her nipples back and forth across his chest. "But before we act on my next idea, I must visit the closet."

After they had relieved themselves and were back on the bed, they lay as one, gently moving and sharing both sensations and thoughts. Aldrick gave a long, slow thrust, then paused. "I must address the crew. Answer their questions and correct what misinformation there may be."

Elizabeth nodded. "About Roberts. The treasure. Our destination." 

"Yes, those. And there is still discontent with some about Judith and you being aboard."

"I have not sensed much of it, nor do I think has Judith." 

"It is there. Quiet, but present, and I do not want it to spread. When the weather allows, I will address them from the quarterdeck."

"Why wait for the weather? The great cabin is sufficiently large to take all seventy of us. What of else have we to do while we wait for the storm to end?"

"Again, your wisdom." Aldrick resumed his gentle movements. "Let us enjoy here and dwell on details later."

<><><>

After he had been relieved of the morning watch and Franklin assumed the forenoon, Wilson joined Aldrick, Elizabeth and Judith in the great cabin for breakfast. As he settled in his seat at the table, he said, "Sir, Seaman Davis One wishes to speak with you."

"Who is Daviswan?"

"A shipwright, Sir. The eldest of the three brothers, the others are Davis Two and Davis Three to keep them straight."

"Three brothers? I was not aware we had three brothers aboard."

"We boarded them from the wreck. He said you spoke with Tim on the island and with Jimmy in sick-bay. This one is Mick, Davis One."

Aldrick nodded. "Do you know why he wishes to see me?"

"He recognises some in the crew from a voyage three year past, and—"

"Three years past?"

"Yes, Sir. What he says. And he says he finally added the pieces together when he realised why you look familiar."

Aldrick paused his coffee cup short of his mouth. "When was that?" 

"I think as he hunkered below through the storm and talked with others, Sir. He surged with energy when the Coxswain brought him up to the quarterdeck to ask permission to speak with you. I was preoccupied with turning over the watch to Mister Franklin, and—" 

"And what did you tell him?"

Wilson tilted his head toward the door. "To wait in the flats outside. I was certain you would want to see him immediately."

"Yes. Well done!" Aldrick signalled to the steward.

"Sir?"

"James, there is a lad out the door. Bring him in."

"Aye, Sir."

James returned half a minute later with a tall, slim young man, and Aldrick addressed him as he approached, "Have you breakfasted yet, Davis?"

"No, Sir."

"Sit and join us, then. James, another setting. Coffee? I recognise you from before."

"Three years ago, Sir. In Delfe VII. I remember this here anchorage from then and searching the islets in the boat."

"How did you end up with Roberts?"

While James set a place at the table, Davis took a seat, answering as he did, "After we got back from that voyage, I took a position at the King's Shipyard in Deptford, and then got my two brothers places when we built the three sloops for the Navy. We was idled when the ships was done building, and..." He paused when James arrived with his coffee.

"So, you signed on with Roberts."

"We did, Sir. Afore his dementia, that man could sweet-talk a nun into bed." He covered his mouth and blushed a deep red. "Pardon my tongue, m'Ladies. Lost my manners after all these months."

Elizabeth chuckled. "No offense, Mick. We have heard far worse. How is Jimmy's leg?"

Mick smiled as he nodded. "Seems like it'll be as good as new. Doc had him take a few steps to make sure all is working. Didn't need no more work on it, though he's sposed to be off it for another few days."

Aldrick pursed his lips as he assessed the young man's age and brought to mind the crew list from 1679. "Davis. Your grandfather was the Shipwright's Mate in Delfe."

"He was, Sir. And we all followed the trade." He tilted his head. "You keep track of everybody who was aboard, doesn't you?"

"We have for fifty-four years. The treasure belongs to the crew — now to their descendants."

"What my father kept telling us. But not what Captain Roberts said."

"What did he say?"

"That the treasure was took from his father and the crew by the captain, a mean-spirited, haughty lord."

"Robert's father had led a mutiny which caused the ships to wreck. At his trial back in London, the Justices of the Courts struck his shares from the Ship's Articles, as well as those of his fellow mutineers."

"What most are saying below. But there are a few who say we will see very little if any of the treasure when all is counted for."

"After the King is paid his tax of twenty parts in a hundred, all of the eighty parts remaining will be paid to families in accordance with the Ship's Articles. As a Mate, your grandfather was entitled to two shares in one hundred and twelve..."

Aldrick paused as James arrived and placed a platter of ham, cheese and biskits on the table, along with a bowl of dried apricots and plums and a large silver carafe of coffee. When James had left, he resumed, "We will assemble the entire ship's company later this morning to share all the details. But now, let us enjoy breakfast."