48. Complications

Wednesday, 9th September 1733

Early on Wednesday afternoon, the final crates of copper and tinware had been winched from Elizabeth's forward hold, slung onto carts on the wharf and hauled into the warehouse. When a waggon laden with squared logs stopped alongside, the Officer of the Watch removed the cover from the voice tube to the great cabin and blew the whistle.

A few seconds later, Aldrick replied, "Captain."

"Sir, as requested, informing you that the first load of mahogany has arrived."

"Thank you, Charles. I shall be up."

As Aldrick led Elizabeth up the ladder to the quarterdeck, he explained, "I have ordered two thousand cubic feet, and we will load it into the main hold."

"Above the treasure." She laughed. "We can now stop worrying about straying into Spanish waters and being boarded."

"I had not thought of that. The main reason is because of its light weight per volume — one-twentieth that of silver and about a fortieth that of gold — so it will fill the hold without adding too much weight."

"So many details required."

Charles greeted them as they emerged on deck through the coaming. "And another waggon behind it, Sir."

They all turned to examine the two waggons, then Elizabeth said, "I was not aware mahogany trees grow square."

Aldrick chuckled. "No, not square. This is how timber is prepared for shipping. If left round, we would be loading bark, cull slabs and air, besides the useful wood. Also, securing round logs is too difficult." He pointed to the bins of wooden wedges, shakes and splinters sitting atop the loads. "We use those to shiver the timbers, ensuring they are firmly packed and stable in the hold. Each timber weighs many hundreds of pounds, and if even one breaks free in a storm, it might cause the ship to wreck."

Elizabeth nodded. "So much detail. So many things to consider."

"Some of the reasons I love it." He turned to Charles. "It is now safe to unbatten and remove the main hatch cover. The work below has been completed."

"Aye, Sir."

While Charles descended to the main deck, Elizabeth asked, "And the forward hold? Will we leave it empty?"

"No, the weight in the main hold must be balanced, so we will load cases of sugar loaves there to keep her on an even keel." He shrugged. "I know not how many we will need, nor will we know until it is done."

"And from where do you get those?"

"Like the mahogany and most other high-value commodities, from our warehouses. We buy when prices are good and store them until we find a strong market here, or ship them to Britain and —"

Elizabeth interrupted and pointed over Aldrick's shoulder along the wharf. "The past while. Two suspicious men approaching. They run then dodge behind crates. Then run again and dodge."

He turned to join her in watching. "Appears they fear being followed."

"This is what I had thought. Not sneaking toward us, but hiding from someone ashore."

"I wonder what mischief they fell into. Hope they are not some of ours." They watched a while longer, then Aldrick said. "Two of the Davis brothers. Mick and Tim."

Elizabeth nodded as she watched them take another dash from cover toward the second of the timber waggons then stop in front of the horses. She looked along the wharf to see who was chasing them, but saw no movement. "Have you seen a pursuer?" 

"None, and I have maintained a steady watch."

The two men scooted to the next waggon, paused to look back, then they scampered up the gangplank and aboard. Tim rushed across the deck and stopped beneath the quarterdeck rail and looked up, panting. "Jimmy's been nabbed, Sir." He paused to catch his breath. "Avenger's crew, Sir."

"When? Where?"

"Ten, fifteen minutes, Sir. A publick house, tween two and three streets up. Got a red lion on its sign." 

"Who were you with? Where are they now?"

The Shipwright Mate, Sir. And the other shipwrights. When we finished the work in the hold, we went to get some ale and whatever."

"Where are the others?"

He shrugged. "Don't know. Maybe still in there. It was crowded, and as we spread through the room searching for a table, we was recognised by the Avenger crew and they grabbed us. But they was weak, and we broke free and ran. But Jimmy was still weak from his leg, so he dint make it out of there. We waited, and when he dint show, we came back here for help."

"Were you followed?"

Tim shook his head. "Don't think we was. We ran across town, then through the mews, not toward the water. Ended up over on the east side, but we kept checking afore we headed down to the waterfront. Then back along to this here wharf."

"How many are they?"

"I recognised Peters and a bunch of others of them. I don't know how many there were. The publick room was crowded with men eating."

Mick finally caught his breath. "Funny thing. As we headed ashore, we was talking about what to do if we saw any from Avenger, and we invented a story about fearing they all perished in the storm. To save ourselves, we built a sailing raft, and we got picked up by a ship and brought here." He huffed. "Alls the good that did. As soon as we was seen, they grabbed us. Then when we fought them off, stead of staying to splain, we took affright and fled."

Aldrick nodded. "Do you think Jimmy will tell this story?"

"Likely will, Sir. We was ombellshing it just afore we seen them, and the others was helping us with it."

"Did the Avenger crew relate you to the other shipwrights?"

Tim shook his head. "They dint run. They had no reason to. But I's sure they realised why we did and what we's about now." 

Aldrick pursed his lips. "Let us hope the lads pretend they do not know Jimmy. They only watch and wait."

"And that Jimmy has the sense to feign not knowing them." Elizabeth shrugged. "That is the best we can hope for."

Mick winced. "We really botched this, dint we? Because we bolted, they think somewhat is afoot. They think we are trying to find a way to take the treasure for our own selfs."

"And we need to find a plausible reason to for you to return to the... What was the name of the house?

"No name painted, Sir. Just a big red lion on the sign."

Aldrick nodded. "Yes, for those who cannot read. But whatever its name, we must find a way to explain your bolting and —"

"Ghosts," Elizabeth interrupted. "Dead spirits. You were set trembling in fear at seeing them, believing them dead from the storm."

Aldrick pursed his lips, slowly bobbing his head. "Yes! That might be plausible."

Tim sighed. "But we'll be nabbed too. What good is that?"

"We will fill the room with our own, and we will watch and assess them before you enter." Aldrick pointed below to the entry to the great cabin flats from the main deck. "In a minute or so, knock on that door, and James will invite you in. We will see you down there to sit and discuss this."