55. An Evening Ashore

The sun had dipped to near the hills at the western end of Kingston Harbour, and the heat of the day had eased when a carriage emblazoned with King George's Royal arms was reined to a stop on the wharf alongside Elizabeth. Its approach had been announced to Aldrick, so he and Elizabeth were at the companionway as it arrived and turned around.

While Aldrick escorted her down the gangplank, Elizabeth gathered her skirts in her white-gloved hands so as to not snag or stumble, and she muttered, "Why do women submit to such an awkward manner of dressing? Little wonder we are seen as weak and incapable, hampered in our movements by all of this."

"You look beautiful."

"I feel awkward."

"You disguise it well."

"Thinking of what Mother often said: Picture a swan gliding gracefully across the water's surface, paddling a frantic frenzy beneath."

Aldrick chuckled. "I must remember that."

A footman greeted them as they stepped onto the wharf, and he bowed, then escorted them to the door held open by the other footman. Aldrick waited as Elizabeth was assisted up the step and into the carriage, then he followed. Once they had settled, he said, "Peters, Andrews and others are watching."

"From Avenger?"

"From the bulwarks of whatever their new ship is called." He pointed to the curtains. "Should I open these and wave as the carriage passes them?"

Elizabeth tilted her head. "Would that be wise? It might be best that they not know we have recognised them, even though they have surely recognised you."

"Why would you think they have? I took only a fleeting glance toward their ship, and I turned away immediately I spotted them. Dressed as I am is so different from what I wore yesterday."

"But your tall stature, your broad shoulders, the graceful way you move; clothes do not disguise these."

"Then, it might be best if I acknowledge them that they know we know. Dissuade them if they are thinking of trying anything with Elizabeth." He peeked between the curtains, then opened the hatch and called to the coachman, "Stop beside the men at the rail of this ship."

When the carriage had been reined to a stop, Aldrick pulled back the curtains and opened the window. "Good evening, Captain Peters. We were told of your arrival, and I am pleased you have found a ship, but I have been too occupied with business to find any moment to greet you. Will you join me for coffee aboard mid-morning on the morrow?"

"And a good evening to you, Sir Aldrick. I would enjoy that, but the crew is anxious to sail at first light."

"Very well. Another time, perhaps." Aldrick saluted, then he bade the coachman continue.

Elizabeth nodded as they resumed their way. "He called you Sir Aldrick. As you said he might, he has learned who you are, and I now see your acknowledgement of them as a sly use of tactics. They know we are aware of their behaviour and their attitude, and that we would view them with suspicion. They will now assume we are prepared should they attempt anything."

"My thoughts, exactly." He pointed back toward the schooner. "I am pleased to see they are replacing the shrouds. Mister Boyle told me the owner had lost faith in them should the ship face a strong blow."

"What purpose do the shrouds serve?" She tilted her head. "Other than carrying the rattlings so we can climb aloft."

"They hold the masts upright, and they transfer the load of the sails to the hull. Without them, the masts would quickly collapse."