46. Toward Jamaica

The island of Inagua had nearly sunk beneath the horizon in Elizabeth's stern when Judith shot the azimuth of the setting sun. Wilson guided her through correcting the compass bearing using the day's declination in the solar tables, then the junior officers, midshipmen and the ladies went below to clean for supper, leaving Aldrick and Wilson on the quarterdeck.

At twilight, a quarter-hour later, with their latitude confirmed by a sight on the Pole Star, and their longitude a short DR from their last visual fix on Inagua, Aldrick told Wilson to steer due south. "This will put us about twenty-five miles off the eastern tip of Cuba an hour or so before midnight."

"Aye, Sir. South." Wilson passed the order to the helmsman; then he examined the chart. "We are headed toward the rocks off Cape Saint Nicolas."

"Indeed, but once abeam Cuba's Cape Mayze by DR, we will come to southwest half west to middle the passage

"Indeed, but once abeam Cuba's Cape Mayze by DR, we will come to southwest half west to middle the passage."

Wilson returned to the chart. "And also to clear Cape Dona Maria and Navaza. A single course from the alteration all the way to Jamaica."

"Exactly! And remain at the least twenty miles from any land until we approach Jamaica. This was Grandf... Baron Montford's standard route, and its simplicity allows us to sail with confidence through the night."

"Aye, Sir. I shall inform Mister Franklin about the alteration when he relieves me."

"Have him call me when our DR places us due east of Cape Maize."

"Aye, Sir." Wilson hesitated, then he said, "Sir. Both Judith and I are so very thankful that you have allowed her to practice the navigation I have been teaching her."

"I should have thought of doing it earlier. But please, do continue. It was utterly thoughtless of me to assume she would not be interested."

"She tells me you and Lady Elizabeth are also trying to begin a family."

"We are, and I must congratulate you on your apparent success."

"Thank you, Sir. She has had miscarriages in the past, and she tells me we must not get our hopes up. She has spoken with Doc Haines to learn what are the best ways to ensure a successful carriage."

"And what has he told her?"

"To remain active, strong and hale. He thinks it is misguided to have women withdraw and to refrain from physical exertion."

"This is also the advice of Elizabeth's mother. There is no need to stop any but the most strenuous of activity." Aldrick chuckled. "Which is good, because I cannot imagine Beth in anything approaching quietude."

"Nor can I imagine an inactive Judith."

"Do you sense a change in the attitude of the crew toward them?"

"I am unaware of any further grumbling among them. And if any arises, I think it unlikely it would find support."

"My thoughts, as well." He tilted his head toward the ladder coaming. "I must go below; they are waiting supper for me."

<><><>

Elizabeth made good speed through the night, her log line regularly counting above eight knots, and the morning sighting of Polaris showed her latitude as 19º22'09" north of the Equator, and by DR, her longitude about 74º50' west of London.

Aldrick plotted the estimated position on the chart; then he measured the remaining distance to Port Royal. "If we maintain our course and speed, we will arrive after dark in the confined and rock-strewn waters of the approaches." He looked up at Elizabeth and Judith. "I want you each to quietly determine our best way to handle this. Then we will discuss a variety of options."

A while later, when both women appeared ready, Aldrick said, "The most obvious route is to make best speed to Point Morant, the eastern tip of Jamaica, to take a visual fix before dark and then sail a pattern in open water until daylight. What do you think of this?"

Elizabeth shrugged. "A fine idea to establish our position visually. But with the distance involved and the speed we have been making, we will not raise the point until after dark."

Aldrick smiled then pointed to the chart. "What about coming east and sailing to the longitude of Point Morant before coming south? This would add about fifty miles to the route, and we would raise the point shortly after daybreak."

Judith shook her head. "This would take us along the coast of Cuba and arouse Spanish suspicions. Also, we would have no visual fix and an increasingly doubtful longitude as we approached the north coast of Jamaica in the dark." She pointed to the chart. "I would think it unwise to approach these offshore shoals and the Formiga reef without daylight and an accurate knowledge of latitude." 

"Excellent, the both of you. What would you suggest?"

Elizabeth motioned to Judith. "You go first. From the measurements you made, it appears we have the same idea."

"I thought if we alter south now, across the wind, we can take fixes on both Cape Dona Maria and Navaza as we sail between them. I had measured sixty miles to Dona Maria, so we should raise it in the early afternoon."

Elizabeth nodded. "And we will have merpass as we approach, confirming our latitude before raising land."

Judith tapped the chart. "Then we continue south to the latitude of the harbour approaches before turning west."

"And we will have evening azimuth and Polaris to confirm our latitude and the compass variation so we can adjust the westward course using the new information." Elizabeth nodded to Judith.

"And if the winds remain steady as they have thus far, we will arrive in the approaches during the forenoon." Judith looked up to see Aldrick's beaming smile before she continued, "I like navigation. It allows me to think."

Aldrick nodded. "I wish all were as quick to learn as you two."

"I wish all women were given the opportunity to show how capable they are. I am certain you have noticed the improvement in George's use of the King's English. Judith has been tutoring him the past few months."

Judith blushed. "And we wonder, Sir, whether it would be fitting if we were to offer grammar and elocution lessons for those in the crew who wish to improve theirs."

"Yes, certainly, it would be fitting. And I would think welcomed by many." He glanced across to the Officer of the Watch. "We will discuss this further, but first, I must tell Mister Franklin to come port to steer south, as has been recommended by the navigators."