10. Of Wisdom and Kindness

The rain had stopped overnight, and the sun was breaking through the remaining tatters of clouds on the eastern horizon when early on Wednesday morning, the horses drew the carriage out of Stony Stratford. The road was still wet, and though it had many puddles, the surface was rather firm. Again, Judith chose to sit atop with Wilson.

Inside, Elizabeth lay on the after seat with her head in Aldrick's lap, remaining silent and enjoying their closeness and the gentle sway of the carriage as she thought. Then after a long while, she said, "Seventeen voyages. He would have needed to buy a new ship for the first search and surely others over the years. And all the provisions and the pay for the crew. That must have greatly diminished the family fortune."

Aldrick shook his head. "No, it increased it."

"What? How?"

"It makes no sense to sail a ship empty. In fact, she is more stable and comfortable when laden. There was, and still is, a growing demand for manufactured goods in the colonies. Initially, basic items such as nails, hinges, hammers, saws, glass and so on to build houses. Pots, kettles, crockery, and all manner of common things unavailable there."

"And then peddle them."

"Yes, at first to agents and jobbers, but then Grandpa set up a mercantile warehouse in Kingston as the area rebuilt from the earthquake and the fire. As prosperity in the colonies increased, on his outward voyages, he called at Bordeaux, Oporto and Madeira to load casks of wine."

"But he sailed empty on the return trip, hoping to find the treasure."

"No, loaded with sugar and cacao beans. Remember, ships are more stable and sail better when laden. The routine had become to search until the end of May when the threat of violent summer storms increased."

Elizabeth nodded. "And if the treasure were found, he would discharge the lower valued commodities to make room. Clever."

"Exactly! When Father took over, he of habit stopped in Virginia to sell some of the sugar and replace it with tobacco, which was favoured over Cuban and brought a higher profit. After paying the crew and accounting for the provisions, there remained many thousands of pounds each trip."

She pursed her lips. "My mother has often warned me it is improper to ask about money, but I am curious. What will our new ship cost?"

"I see none of your questions as improper. The records at the Admiralty show the three ships built at Deptford each cost a few pounds either side of three thousand. Mister Stacey has assured me that with a hundred for himself, my cost for Elizabeth will not exceed three thousand and —"

"Elizabeth?"

"Our ship."

She lay staring up into his eyes, her mouth agape and tears pooling. Then with no pretence to regain composure, she sat and pulled him into an embrace and a kiss — a long and deeply passionate one.

He trembled as their lips parted. "I sense you approve the name."

Still panting, she asked, "Why had you not told me until now?"

"I had wanted it as a surprise when you saw it carved into her transom. It is to begin this week when her stern has been completed."

"And now you have ruined your surprise."

"I find no need to keep secrets from you, and this seemed an appropriate moment." He brushed his lips across hers. "Besides, I prefer to feel your response in this setting."

She nibbled his lips. "When had you decided on the name?"

"When the idea of the new ship came to mind." 

Elizabeth hummed a moan as she lay back on the seat, lifting her skirts. "Come. Together we shall bless her christening."

<><><>

The sun had nearly crested by the time Wilson stopped in a ford to allow the horses to drink. It had been a slow eleven miles, particularly the last seven with the deeper ruts. The wheels of the town carriage were not as widely set as those on the freight waggons and post coaches which had established the way through the frequent wallows. The slick from the intermittent rain showers caused the wheels to slide into one rut or another in an unpredictable manner, and their progress had been at half a walking pace. 

At the stop, Elizabeth pulled the curtains aside to identify the place; then she spoke up through the hatch as Aldrick opened it. "This is the River Tove, Wilson, and the village is Towcester with several inns along the Wattling. Choose one which is busy, and we will pause for luncheon."

"Aye, m'Lady."

Aldrick bore a puzzled look as he closed the hatch and turned back to Elizabeth. "Why not a quiet one where we will enjoy attentive service?"

She shrugged. "They are quiet because their fare attracts few of the townspeople, and the aware travellers and coachmen do not give them much custom. Father prefers to stop where the waggon drovers choose."

Inside the inn, while they awaited their food, Wilson spoke with a small group of coachmen who were discussing the conditions of the road in both directions. He returned to the table with news of the way onward, concluding with, "Only light showers last night to the north, and the gap was dry this morning."

Elizabeth nodded. "Only seven miles remain to Daventry, and it is just noon. With the gap dry, we could press on through and down to Rugby. There are two inns there."

Wilson nodded. "What distance is that?"

"I think no more than ten beyond Daventry." She motioned toward the table of coachmen. "They will know."

While Wilson was away to inquire, Elizabeth asked Judith, "Does he appear sufficiently fresh for another four or five hours? Or should we stop as planned in Daventry?"

"I am honoured you seek my opinion and that you show concern for him." She blushed. "In the time I have known him, I have yet to see him tire."

Aldrick chuckled. "I think it is you who gives him the energy."

"M'Lord!" She blushed deeper, then smiled. "And him to me."

Wilson returned and sat. "I am told the worst of the road is behind us, and what time it took us to here from Stony will take us through the gap to Rugby. So, another four hours and a bit." 

Following a short discussion, the group decided to pause in Daventry to assess the condition of the horses and their own wills at that time. Then they could better determine whether they should continue to Rugby. 

After their hearty fare, they recommenced their journey. The roadway remained fine all the way, and they arrived in Daventry in high spirits from the speed they had made. Once the horses had been rested, fed and watered, they pressed on toward Watford Gap, then passed through it and down into Rugby, arriving in the courtyard of the Swan Inn as dark clouds rolled in from the west and thunder rumbled closer.

They were soon in their rooms, Elizabeth and Aldrick with a fire lit in the hearth when boys and maids arrived with a large copper tub and many kettles of hot water and ewers of cold. When the last of the staff had withdrawn, Aldrick prepared a bath for Elizabeth as she undressed.

While he was washing her, he said, "I enjoyed your kind manner with the servants now, and earlier with Wilson and Judith. This is much like Grandpa has shown us in the ship. From where does yours come?" 

"It is the way we work with those who plant, tend and harvest our crops, and those who do all else on the estate. They know better the nature of the tasks than do we, and it would be folly to tell them how to do. It is better to guide, praise and reward them than it is to prod. Their pride and satisfaction become their prods." 

"Your family comes from the same mould as mine."

"I am sure it must."

He guided her to her feet so he could continue rinsing her. "May I again wash you here? I think I will never cease being delighted with exploring its complexity."

"Oh, please do."