19. Evening Aboard

Following their private sea trials, Elizabeth and Aldrick lay in a blissful cuddle on the bed. After a long silence, he said, "We will don neither waistcoats nor frocks this evening. Instead, we will dress in the style we have adopted for the heat of the tropics and the mid-summers here, shirtsleeves with a cummerbund added to provide the formal pretence."

"What is a cummerbund?"

"A broad silk sash wrapped around the midriff to cover the juncture of the breeches and shirt. The fashion originates in India, and the silks are most often brightly coloured."

"I wish you had told me prior to leaving. What shall I use?"

"I have a large selection from which you may choose." As they rose from the bed, he stood behind her, cupping his hands beneath her breasts and hefting. "I love the way these move, but I have thought you might use bindings to steady them beneath your shirt so as not to titillate others."

"And the bulge of your manhood down the leg of your breeches does not flop about and entice?"

"That hangs there naturally."

"As do my breasts hang naturally from my chest. Shall we bind your foretail and sack?"

He shook his head, grinning at her reasoning.

A while later, after Aldrick had adjusted the cummerbund at her waist, Elizabeth draped a silk sash around her neck. Then standing in front of the mirror, she arranged it in a wide loose x across her bosom and tucked the ends into the sides of the cummerbund.

Aldrick smiled in approval, then he asked, "Does the x mean they are forbidden?"

"For others. But for you, it marks their presence lest you forget them." She gave him an impish grin, then chose a bright red silk sash, folded it and tucked it into the front of Aldrick's cummerbund, adjusting its end to fall beyond his mid-thigh bulge. "Now, we both are proper."

"And marked." He opened the door and led her out into the great cabin. "This evening we will be joined by Mister Stacey and Mister Charles, plus two hands selected by the Coxswain."

"Is this another tradition?"

"One I wish to expand. I see it as a means to become better acquainted with the entire ship's company and get to know them beyond their duty. Grandfather and Father dined with selected officers, midshipmen and mates a few times each week, but I wish to include those from before the masts."

Elizabeth nodded as Aldrick guided her into a deeply cushioned chair facing the stern windows. "Yes, the hands are part of the ship as well."

"Indeed. My thought is to entertain an officer plus a midshipman or a mate and two hands each second evening."

She nodded as she appraised the four empty chairs set with theirs in a semicircle in front of the windows. "Instil a sense of inclusion."

"Exactly. We must. The ship cannot be sailed without them, nor can..." He paused as the steward approached.

"Shall I bring wine for you now, Sir?"

"Thank you, James. We will wait for our guests to arrive."

"Very well, Sir."

After the steward had withdrawn, Elizabeth said, "I find it strange to not have a clock." She moved her hand to imitate the rhythm of the ship's movement. "But a pendulum would not work here."

"If we could find another way to make a clock regularly precise, we would surely win the longitude prize. It depends upon time."

"But here, you depend upon sandglasses. What about a sundial?"