004

s.c.; josh woodward - a thousand skins [part 1]

a.n.; gif is a spoiler alert.

-=-

february.

Two weeks. It has been two weeks since she has gone without going into work. She felt like she was going deranged being cooped up in her apartment for all this time. It felt that she was never going to get better at the rate she is going at. The thing is she never took any medication because she never got sick or ever been bedridden before. Finally having the energy and strength to get up and out of bed, she decided that nice cup of her favorite white tea would do her justice. Padding over to the kitchen in her oversized creme sweater, boy shorts, and knee socks, she got out her favorite mug and milk. Lighting up the flame on the propane stove, placing water in the kettle, setting it on the hot range and waiting for the water to come to a roiling boil. Once the water came to a boil, the steam was released creating a high pitched sound throughout the apartment.

Pouring the hot water and milk into her mug, she dipped the tea bag into the water and milk mixture, but before she was about to take a sip, she almost the sugar that created a sweeter taste to her tea, that she lived for every sip until the her sight caught the bottom of the mug. Walking over to her cupboard in search of her mason jar of sugar, she searched high and low for the jar until she came up with a mason jar but no sugar inside. She was too sick to run to the market across town, she could not drink her tea without sugar, it was like a sin to her. She thought to herself, just maybe she could ask one of the neighboring apartment owners if she could just have a cup of sugar. This was a better idea than going into the algid winter wind that is still blowing onto the panes of her apartment windows. She slipped on her cozy house slippers and dehiscented the bolt and lock of her apartment door, stepped out into the precarious hallway of the sixth floor of the apartment complex. She did not know where to start, she decided it would be best to go down a level any try there first.

Walking down the side staircase of the complex, going down the the fifth floor, and lurking into the constricted hallway of the fifth floor, she realized it was the same as the hallway a floor above her. She flattened her knuckles against the door on the apartment and waited for someone to answer the door. She waited and waited. But no one answered their door tor she either got the door slammed in her face for the first seven apartment doors she tried. But there was this one man who stood at six foot, while she stood at five foot-four she felt very browbeaten compared to his height, she mumbled a quick 'sorry' and hurried down the hallway. By the time she got to the end of the hallway, she was getting impatient and annoyed plus her tea was getting cold upstairs. She thought to herself that she would try one more door then call it a day. Her knuckles rapped against the solid wooden door once more, and again no one answered and she let our a soft and tired sigh to herself. She gave up and went back up the side staircase, back to her apartment door. While on her way back to her apartment door, she could hear the faint sound of music two doors down from her own apartment. She recognized the song instantly, A Thousand Skins by Josh Woodward. She loved that song when she was in a mood that she was rarely in since she was never sad for a very long time. She stopped in the middle of the narrow hallway and just listened to the sound of the lyrics execute from underneath the door into the hallway.

"Your face is burned into my memory,

I've traced the lines so carefully,

I've memorized the hills and valleys

And the freckles on your cheek

The way you smile in your sleep..."

She leaned again the drywall of the corridor and closed her eyes, smiling to herself as the song put a small smile on her face. The song ended within seconds and she stood straight up once again. Maybe she could ask the person living in the apartment, who had a similar taste in music as she did, for a cup of sugar. Someone had to be home since they obviously were just playing music moments ago. Once again for the ninth time today, her knuckles flattened again the solid wood and she waited. Not even a moment later, a young women appeared at the door, she looked her up and down as if judging her for disturbing her peace and quiet. She appeared to be about four inches taller than her, wavy blonde hair and stopping just below her chest. She also had striking blue eyes to complete her look, flawless. She was the one to break the quick silence that had dawn upon them in a matter of seconds.

'What can I do for you sweetheart?' She said with a genuine smile on her face. She tried to find her words but nothing came out and all she did was stare. But in a matter of seconds, she had found her courage and voice, 'Do you have any sugar that I could possible borrow?' She asked almost as a whisper, but still loud enough for her to hear. 'Ofcouse, come on in and I will get you some, how much would you like?' She gave off another small smile to her as she stood in the front of the now close door of the apartment. 'Would a cup be asking too much?' She looked up from her feet adorned in her slippers at the mystery women. She gave her a small nod and asked her to wait on the couch for her. She was sat on the plush black leather couch, she took the time that she had to look around the apartment as if she would never see it again. It was very modern with a feel of a true homey feeling to it. From the portreits hanging upon the marroon walls, too the Brazilian cherry wooden floors covered in a fuzzy white rug underneath the glass coffee table in front of her. A plazma screen tv hung on the wall right in front of her and a fan spinning on the ceiling above her.

She then heard the deep rumble of a man's voice echoing throughout the apartment, 'Gemma! Where are my boxers?!'. His footsteps shook the floorboards ever so slightly with the amount of pressure upon them. She turned around and so a boy with curly brown hair and by the looks of his back muscles, he must have a toned body. Her eyes looked at him a second too long, he then found her looking at him as he looked up from his black iPhone. He had a confused look on his face and was about to ask her, who she was and why she was here in his apartment, but then his sister revealed herself from the kitchen holding a small glass jar of what seemed to be sugar. 'Here is your sugar sweety.' Gemma smiled at her and she returned it and spoke up ever so slightly, 'Thank you so much, I will be sure to bring you back a cup, next time I go shopping.' She stood up from the couch, holding the jar of a cup of sugar in her hands. She gave her a small wave but in the back of her mind, she wondered where the mystery boy had gone.

a.n.;

hope y'all enjoyed the chapter. (:

until next time !

- M. x

twenty-seventh of august, twenty-fourteen.

half past eleven p.m.

© fxckinstyles