Chapter 8

Brooke's POV

Tree Hill High, gym

Four weeks later

I hadn't felt well all morning, when I dragged myself to the gym in the last lesson and suddenly noticed a dull pain in my stomach. A feeling as if you were about to get your period. Since I had an appointment with my gynecologist three days ago and everything had been okay, I paid no attention to it and lined up in a row like the other students.

"Go, girls, get the trampoline out. Today we want to see how good your balance is."

I groaned inwardly. Trampolining was the last thing I wanted to do now, especially since I was sure that it wasn't good for a pregnant woman to be exposed to such vibrations. But when it was my turn, I bravely walked onto the trampoline and began to jump into the canvas carefully. I suddenly heard a horrified gasp and noticed that all eyes were on me. I followed their gaze, stared down at me, and saw in my white leggings a red blood spot spreading out rapidly.

"Brooke's got her period," someone shouted.

"Let me through!"

I realized like in trance how Haley jumped on the trampoline and then pulled me down until I had solid ground under my feet again.

"Here!"

Someone held out a tampon, which I gripped mechanically.

"She's not getting her period, Peyton, she's losing her baby!" Haley hissed to her.

I raised my head and saw Peyton's eyes wide with shock. And suddenly I realized what was happening here. Haley was right. I was losing my baby!

"Are you there by car?" Haley asked Peyton.

"Yes, why?"

"We have to take her to the hospital."

I felt like a viewer in a theater play, where you could see and hear the actors but couldn't intervene in the story. Experiencing it as an outside observer was also easier for me at the moment than accepting the fact that I was losing my baby, the last link between Julian and me. I let myself be led outside and climbed into Peyton's car without resistance.

"Brooke, can you hear me?"

"She's in shock, Haley. Why didn't you tell me she was pregnant?"

"Not now, Peyton. Focus on driving. Maybe it's not too late yet."

"Oh, God, so much blood...!"

"Shut up and drive, I said!"

"I'm already driving as fast as I can. Who is the father? "

"You don't know him, and it doesn't matter anyway."

"That's not fair, Haley. I'm almost your accomplice now. Who knows about it?"

I felt myself getting more and more tired and closed my eyes.

"Brooke? Oh God, Peyton. I think she passed out."

"Brooke!"

I felt hands tugging at me, but I was too tired to even open my eyes. The next time I opened them, I lay in a bed and a face unknown to me bent over me.

"Hello Brooke, I'm Dr. Parker, your doctor. Do you know what happened to you? "

I moistened my dry lips and then nodded. "I... I lost my baby," I whispered faintly.

The doctor nodded and gave me a compassionate look. "I'm so sorry. We couldn't save the baby. The bleeding was too severe."

I closed my eyes and felt tears seeping through the lashes. So it was true. I finally lost everything that was important to me; Julian, our baby...