Chapter 24

Julian's POV

Julian's office

One day later

Only with difficulty I had dragged myself to work this time. But there were decisions to make on how to proceed with the film project. If we wanted to do a TV series from the book, then the script had to be completely rewritten. Something that would take a lot of time and would also require creativity and inventiveness. But right now, my mind was completely occupied with other things, mainly about Brooke's pregnancy and the question what we could do to save our baby this time. What happened 5 years ago couldn't happen again. For the afternoon, we had an appointment with Brooke's gynecologist, and I looked forward to it with an anxious feeling. When the door opened, I looked up. "Hi Mom! What are you doing here?"

"What's that of a greeting?" She frowned. "Don't you want to hug me?"

Slowly I got up and walked around my desk and hugged her briefly. "So, once again...What are you doing here?" I asked her again.

"Haven't your father told you that I was coming to Tree Hill?" She asked irritated.

"Yes, he told me," I said, trying not to show that her presence rather disturbed than pleased me.

"Actually, I wanted to go straight to your house, but your dad said it would be better if I go to your office first." She laughed mockingly. "That's ridiculous! As if I were some acquaintance of yours and not your mother." She looked down at her perfectly painted fingernails. "Brooke surely won't mind if I live at her place for a few days."

It was not a question but a statement, and I wondered how I could gently tell her that it wasn't the right time for a visit. But she didn't even let me finish speaking.

"When I had learned about the little boy and your plans to adopt him, I wanted to go to Tree Hill right away. You can rest assured that I will support you and Brooke in everything," she said determined. "The poor girl! I can imagine what she is going through right now. "

"Since when are you such a Brooke fan?" I blurted out without thinking and got an indignant look from her.

"What do you mean by that?" She asked, raising her eyebrows. "Didn't I accept her as a daughter-in-law when you came to us and told us about your rash wedding? Believe me, Julian, every other mother would have reacted quite differently. Especially since I've known her from before and knew what kind of lifestyle she had lived."

My patience was at an end. I clenched my fist and hit it with force on the desk, causing her to flinch. "Oh shut up!" I snapped. "Don't pretend that you did me a favor with accepting Brooke as my wife! And I don't believe a word that you feel pity for her. You don't even know what that word means!" I knew I was doing her wrong, but it was still that I just saw red when she talked bad about my wife. I had gotten so angry that I started to tremble. And when I noticed tears in my eyes I turned away from her.

"Julian..."

When she placed her hand on my shoulder, I couldn't hold back tears any longer. I knew it had nothing to do with my mother, but with Brooke's and our current situation. But she couldn't know about it, and of course she was referring it to herself.

"I'm sorry!" She said in a low voice. "I didn't know that I'm so unwelcome here. I'll just pack my things and leave."

As she turned to go, I reached for her arm. "Mom, wait!" I wiped my eyes and looked at her with a serious expression. It was time she learned the truth. "It has nothing to do with you," I said reluctantly. "Yesterday, Brooke found out that she's pregnant, and..." I couldn't finish my sentence when my mother let out a yell and hugged me.