Chapter 27

Brooke's POV

In the hospital

I was sleeping when suddenly the door to my hospital room opened and I heard a soft voice speaking to me.

"Hey Brooke, sweetheart! Are you awake?"

I wiped my eyes drowsily and then blinked. "Hales!" I exclaimed with pleasure and smiled. "Nice that you come to see me. How is Justin?"

"Very good." She nodded. "But the better question is, how are you?"

"According to circumstances, as the saying goes." I rolled my eyes. "Haven't Julian told you about it?"

"He told me, but I wanted to hear it from you." She smiled broadly. "I couldn't believe it when he told me you were expecting twins. My God, Brooke, twins! Do you know how rarely that happens? And in particular that you've been told that you would never have children of your own."

I smiled sadly. "They are not yet born or fully developed. It's still a long way to go. Has Julian told you about the procedure the doctors are going to perform?"

Haley nodded. "Yes, and I was really surprised that I had never heard of it before."

"You had Jamie the normal way," I said. "You didn't have to deal with alternative methods."

"When do they want to perform the procedure?"

"Probably tomorrow," I answered. "They don't want to wait so long because I had the miscarriage in the third month. Now I'm almost there again and they don't want to take any chances. That's why they do it sooner than usual."

"Julian told me that you have to stay on bed rest afterwards."

"Yes, unfortunately," I sighed. "And I don't know how this will work."

"Of course we all help," Haley said firmly. "I've already talked to Peyton. We simply take turns with the care. And then there's your mother-in-law, who can take care of you, too. "

"What?" I looked at her as if she had suddenly said something in Chinese.

"Your mother-in-law, Sylvia Baker," Haley pointed out, frowning confused.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I shook my head in confusion. "Julian's mother lives in L.A., not in Tree Hill."

"Um... not anymore," Haley admitted, grinning sheepishly. "Haven't Julian told you?"

"What should he have told me?" I asked frowning.

Haley took a deep breath. "Well, I visited Julian at home, and it looks like your mother-in-law has moved in with you," she said quickly.

"Excuse me?" I exclaimed stunned.

"Your mother-in-law lives with you now," Haley repeated again. "She lives in the guest room."

I let myself sink back and closed my eyes annoyed. What was wrong with Julian that he had allowed his mother to stay at my house without asking me? Sylvia Baker, of all people, who hated me like the plague! "I think I should have a serious talk with Julian," I said, rolling my eyes. "Do you remember how she treated me back then?" I shook my head. "And I should live with such a person under one roof?"

"Don't get upset, Brooke!" Haley said, putting her hand on my arm soothingly. "That's not good for the babies."

I placed my hand on my belly. "Yeah, you're right," I said softly. "She's not worth getting upset."

"Julian certainly meant well," Haley said to his defense. "He wouldn't do anything that would hurt you... or the babies."

"I don't understand," I sighed. "He knows what she thinks of me. How can he then assume that we could live together peacefully?"

"Maybe she changed her mind about you," Haley said hesitantly.

"And pigs might fly!" I rolled my eyes. "When Julian told her that we got married, her reaction was totally odd." I looked at Haley with a serious face. "She called me a slut from the beginning, and for her it was the end of the world that her beloved son had married a person like me."

"Oh Brooke, I'm so sorry!" Haley gently touched my arm. "You should talk to Julian about your doubts. She's already trying to take over your household. When I stopped by earlier, she was cooking a meal for him."

I looked at her in horror and then put my hands over my face. "Oh no!" I groaned. "He probably had told her what a horrible cook I am!"

"You're a fantastic cook!" Haley countered "Don't make yourself small, Brooke. I'm sure Julian wouldn't tell her something negative about you."

"Yes, maybe not," I admitted quietly. "But I think it's rude that she cooks and bakes in my kitchen, which should be my job."

"As I said, talk openly with Julian about your concerns. That's the only advice I can give you." She shrugged helplessly. "Congratulations from Peyton, by the way. She wants to visit you tomorrow."

I had to smile involuntarily. It was nice to know my two friends close to me. Everything was so much easier then. And I would also try to bring the problem with my mother-in-law under control. Haley bent down and pulled me into a hug.

"I have to go now. Please call me after the procedure," she asked.

"Sure, right after that." I promised. "And thank you for your visit."

Haley shifted from one foot to the other. "I wouldn't have told you about your mother-in-law if I had known Julian hadn't informed you yet," she apologized.

"That's fine. She can stay in our house for the few days I'm in the hospital. But then I want her to leave," I said determinedly.

"Okay then, take care."

I could see how relieved she was to leave when she said goodbye. I knew that I had put her in a difficult position. She wanted to be loyal to both of us, Julian and me. But I wouldn't allow Sylvia Baker to get back into our lives! She was the reason why Julian and I had been separated then. She wouldn't get the chance to do that a second time. Exhausted, I rolled over on the side, closed my eyes and fell asleep only a few minutes later.