Chapter 21

Julian's POV

Law Firm, Los Angeles

The next day

"Does that mean we have no chance?"

"If the birth father doesn't agree, then it looks bad."

I looked at Brooke, seeing how disappointed she was about this news. Immediately after our return to L.A., we had visited a lawyer to help us with our adoption application. But the message he gave us now was devastating.

"That means the adoption agency would simply give a toddler into care of a person without checking if he fits, just because he's the biological father?" She asked incredulously.

"Of course not." The lawyer shook his head. "There are very strict conditions. The agency is checking whether someone is suitable or if the right environment is available."

"What exactly are they checking?" I asked.

"Well, first they check if a person is morally capable of raising a child. Then someone pays a visit in the house to look at the environment where the child will live in the future. And finally, they look at the person's background, if perhaps grandparents exist or other relatives of the father. And of course they also look at the finances. Children cost money." He pulled a sheet of paper out of his drawer. "Everything on this list is what is being tested to meet the requirements for obtaining legal custody."

"If I understand this correctly," I cut in," then we would have to undergo this check too?"

The lawyer nodded. "The same applies to the people who want to adopt the child."

"We have a lot of space in our house," Brooke chimed in. "Justin has his own playroom. And we have friends who have a son at Justin's age. By the way, he is there at the moment." She pointed to me. "And as for the financial part... My husband is a film producer. He lived in Hollywood for a while and made films before going to Tree Hill. And I'm a fashion designer and even own my own store."

The lawyer smiled nervously. "That's all very well and I don't doubt that you would be good parents, but the fact remains that the biological father first must give the consent to initiate the adoption process."

"Do you think it would help if we went back to see and talk to him?" I asked.

"Maybe." The lawyer shrugged. "You should take this with you then." He handed the list to us. "Then he learns what is needed to claim custody. I also give you my business card. No matter how he will decide, he should contact me."

We said goodbye and left the office. Brooke fidgeted nervously beside me and I knew what she wanted. "You want us to drive to him straight away, right?"

She nodded. "The faster we do this, the better. Before we left earlier, I had called Haley. Justin is fine, but he misses us."

"Yeah," I said with a sigh. "I miss him, too."

"See, that's why we should hurry."

I grabbed her arm. "You know that it could be that he doesn't give in, right?" I asked, giving her a serious look.

"I'm ready to fight for Justin," she said, lifting her chin determinedly. "If necessary, also in court. Chelsea wouldn't have wanted her son to be raised by this... primeval guy." She rolled her eyes.

I had to laugh. "Primeval? Well, I hope you won't hit me now, but I really think he didn't know he had a son. And if he had known before, he probably would have wanted to care for him."

"You definitely deserve to be hit for this comment!" She said outraged. "I can't believe you're stabbing me in the back, Julian! I thought you also wanted to adopt the boy."

"Of course I want to adopt him," I defended myself. "But I can understand his side as well."

"Sometimes you're too soft, Julian Baker," she said, rolling her eyes. "I can't understand why you feel sorry for him after what he did to Chelsea."

"I just have a strong sense of justice," I said with a shrug. "Can't help it."

"Let's go," she sighed.

It took us almost three hours to get to Imperial Beach. The surfer shop was open and the owner was present as well, we noticed when we opened the door and entered the store.

"I haven't thought to see you again so quickly," Markham greeted us, frowning. "That wasn't 24 hours."

"We brought something for you." Brooke ignored his objection, took out the lawyer's sheet of paper and put it on the counter.

"What's that?" He asked confused.

"This is a list of the things you have to fulfill to receive custody for Justin," I explained patiently, waiting for him to read through the list.

"Somebody comes into my house and snoops around?" He asked incredulously.

"That's the usual procedure," Brooke said, glaring at him. "Is that a problem for you? Do you have something to hide?"

"I don't live there alone." He raised his eyebrows meaningfully. "If you understand what I mean?"

"You live there with your wife or girlfriend?" I guessed.

"Not quite the term I would use." He grinned sheepishly.

"You have changing acquaintances?" I asked dryly, receiving a horrified glance from Brooke.

"You could say that." He laughed and run with his hand through his shoulder-length hair, which he wore loose this time. "Sometimes the women line up in front of my house," he said proudly.

"Oh my God!"

I glanced quickly at Brooke, who had turned pale. "Are you implying that you use your beach house to seduce women?"

"Is that forbidden?" He frowned. "I'm in the prime of life. Why should I just waste my energy on only one woman?"

"That's... gross!"

I could only agree with Brooke. We couldn't allow that Justin would grow up in an environment like that!

"I would say it's completely natural," he said casually. "Not everyone is born to marry."

"And I suppose your 'girlfriends' wouldn't be happy if a toddler would barge in during your sexual intercourse," I said dryly.

Markham frowned. "No idea. I didn't ask them. Is that important?"

I closed my eyes and tried to control myself, not to punch the guy in his face. "Yes," I said as calm as possible. "It is important." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Brooke suddenly putting her hand over her mouth and running outside. I handed Markham the lawyer's business card. "Go through the list and then call the lawyer," I said hastily before leaving the store as well. Brooke was standing behind a rock, her back to me and I could tell by the rise and fall of her shoulders that she was vomiting. I waited for her to finish and then gently put my arms around her. "Are you okay?" I asked worriedly and stroked a strand of hair from her pale face.

"I had to get out of there," she said in a stifled voice, tears running down her cheeks. "Otherwise I would have puked right in front of his feet." She looked up at me. "I can't believe anyone would ever consider to grant custody to a pervert like him!"

"No, me neither," I agreed. "We should go back and tell the lawyer what we have learned," I suggested.

"I want this nightmare to end!"

As her tears began to flow again, I pulled her tighter into my arms. "It's going to be okay," I promised and kissed her forehead. "I promise you that I will do anything to prevent that he gets custody for Justin!"

Gratefully, Brooke looked up at me. "I love you for that, Julian Baker." She stood on tiptoe and kissed my cheek. "Let's drive. I desperately need a toothbrush to get this disgusting taste out of my mouth."

I smiled at her before we went to the car and then headed back to L.A..