Chapter 30

Julian's POV

Although I had been reluctant to leave Brooke alone in her condition, it had also been important to me to look for my mother. At first, I called my father's office, who had just been in a meeting and couldn't answer my call. My next stop was the airport. But she hadn't been on the airport grounds or registered as a passenger on any of the airlines. I could have reported my car as stolen or missing, but I didn't want to involve the police. But if I wouldn't find her soon, I'd have to call them whether I liked it or not. Frustrated and tired, I sat back in Brooke's car and wondered where she might have gone. Finally I started the engine and drove off. I had no particular goal in mind when I turned onto the road that led to our former home. And there I saw my car, which was parked on the street and then my mother, who sat on the steps in front of the house, with her head lowered. I steered Brooke's car to the side, turned off the engine, and jumped out. She raised her head and looked at me startled as she recognized me. I quickened my pace to be with her faster. "Thank God I found you! Are you okay?" I gasped, pulling her up and hugging her when I had reached her.

"Julian, what... what are you doing here?" She stammered in surprise.

"I was looking for you," I said, hugging her again. "Brooke told me you just ran away. I was so worried!"

She took a step back and pointed to the house. "Did you know it's for sale?"

I followed her gaze with a frown, then shook my head. "No, I didn't know that."

"Your dad told me when he picked me up from the airport," she said quietly. "I called the estate agent right away and asked him to make a reservation for me. I wanted to buy it for you, because I thought Brooke's house would soon be too small for all of you."

"You wanted to give us the house as gift?" I asked, looking at her in disbelief. "Why?"

"Because I thought I could make up for what I did to you," she confessed softly and then lowered her head. "But I didn't know at the time how much Brooke hates me."

I shook my head. "She doesn't hate you. She is just... "

"Yes, she does, Julian," she interrupted. "She made that very clear today. And you know what? I'm not even mad. She has good reasons why she feels that way. I was just too selfish to see it."

I raised my head and looked at her surprised. That my mother admitted her faults was exceptional.

"Is it true what she told me?" She asked after a few seconds of silence.

"I don't know what Brooke told you," I said, frowning questioningly.

"She told me that you still have nightmares when you remember how you found me lifeless in the bathtub."

Shocked, I held my breath. I couldn't believe Brooke had told her that! That I didn't answer right away seemed to be proof enough for her.

"So it's true." She buried her face in her hands and groaned. "She was right about everything, wasn't she?"

I could see regret, guilt, and despair in her eyes as she looked at me, and I felt a stab in my heart. I knew Brooke had a reason to be mad. But seeing my mother so desperate almost broke my heart. I put my arms around her, pulling her closer. "You were sick back then," I said softly. "You said a lot of things when you were drunk and high on pills that you didn't mean."

"Yeah, you know that, but does Brooke know that too?" She asked desperately. "Believe me, Julian, I just came to help you. But maybe it will be better if I leave and go back to L.A."

I looked at her startled. "You want to leave Tree Hill again? But what about your wish to be closer to your family again? You wanted to become a part of our lives. You can't just leave!"