Chapter 22

Julian's POV

Julian's Office, Tree Hill

A week had passed since we returned from L.A. We had visited the lawyer again, who had told us that Markham had gotten in touch with him and had consented to the custody process. Inconceivable for Brooke and me he actually had applied to get custody of Justin. A devastating information for both of us, though Brooke had suffered even more. She'd broken down crying in the law firm and her fragile state hadn't improved since then. She slept badly, ate little and suffered from nausea. I was starting to really worry about her health. In the presence of Justin, she tried not to show her sorrow. She laughed and played with him and often went to Haley in the afternoon so the boys could play together.

"You get wrinkles early if you continue to frown."

I looked up and wiped my eyes. "Hi, Dad. What's up?" I asked indifferently.

"I've been thinking of how to save the movie," he said, sitting down on a chair.

"Do you have an idea?"

"What would you think if we were going to alter it in a series?" He asked. "The book is so complex that you could easily make a multi-parter of it. And TV series are very popular these days."

I frowned at him. What he just suggested had also crossed my mind before we started shooting the movie. "Sounds interesting," I agreed.

"We could start from scratch and also cast new actors for the roles." He gestured with his hands. "We can ask those we already have under contract, if they would be willing to play in a series. We would have to renew the contracts. But if we could find a new 'Brooke' it would save us a lot of trouble."

"Yes, I know." I sighed and brushed a strand of hair from my forehead. "Today is Chelsea's funeral," I said in a low voice.

"How is Brooke?"

I looked at him in surprise. It was the first time he asked for her. She hadn't really been his first choice of a daughter-in-law, but gradually he seemed to have accepted that we were married.

"I saw her the other day. She looked awful." He frowned. "She worries about the little boy, doesn't she?"

I nodded. "I have never seen her like this before. She walks around like a zombie."

"Your mother wants to move to Tree Hill," he suddenly changed the subject.

I jerked my head and stared at him bewildered. "What?"

"I told her about your situation and now she wants to come to Tree Hill to support you," he said, smiling wryly. "She called me earlier that she's already on her way here. I'll pick her up later from the airport."

"What has gotten into you to tell her about it?" I gasped. "Brooke and Mom under one roof that's like... pouring oil into a fire!"

"Don't overreact, Julian." He frowned.

"I'm not overreacting. You don't know how bad Mom had treated Brooke back then. She called her a slut." I rolled my eyes. "Mom hates Brooke. And in Brooke's fragile state, I won't let her near her."

"Your mother is coming to help, not to insult your wife," he said. "Besides, that happened years ago. After her withdrawal treatment and months in the clinic for drug addicts, your mother has become a new person. Just give her a chance. "

"'Where will she live?" I asked warily.

"I thought she could live with you and Brooke. The house is big enough."