Chapter 41

Brooke's POV

Brooke's and Julian's house

Six months later

It was quite different this time than the last two times when I had read the positive result on the pregnancy test. The first time I had reacted with shock, the second time with fear and despair. This time it was pure happiness that I felt. I now knew what was coming, and I had my family and friends who would support me. Also the age gap to the twins was optimal. If it was a girl now, my joy would be perfect. I put the test on the edge of the sink, washed my hands and looked in the mirror. I knew I needed to dry my eyes before I stepped out the door. Sylvia would immediately suspect that something was wrong. But unlike the last few times, it was tears of joy and not of despair. I quickly washed my face, dried it, and then pushed the latch back.

"Gosh, Brooke, what took you so long?"

I felt my cheeks begin to glow under Sylvia's scrutiny. As she came closer and looked at me even more intensely, I quickly lowered my head. But not only did she have eagle eyes, she also felt instinctively when something was wrong.

"Were you crying?"

"I... no," I stammered. "That's just... hay fever," I lied. Luckily we had spring and not winter, otherwise she never would have believed my white lie.

"Hm... okay." She pointed to the closed bathroom door. "Is the bathroom free now?"

I nodded, lost in thought, and stepped aside to let her enter. But as soon as she had closed the door, I remembered, what I had forgotten in there. But now it was too late to remove the pregnancy test unnoticed. I quickly turned to warn her when I heard the lock snap shut. Involuntarily I held my breath and listened. But as hard as I tried, I couldn't hear a sound. Carefully, I knocked as the waiting became too long for me. "Sylvia?" I called in a slightly trembling voice. "Everything okay?" It took a moment before she finally pushed the latch and stepped out of the bathroom. In her hand she held my positive pregnancy test. I wanted to apologize when she embraced me.

"Oh Brooke! Why didn't you want to tell me that you're pregnant again?" She asked softly. "I already suspected it all the time anyway."

I looked at her stunned. "You suspected it...?" I stuttered.

She nodded. "I have eyes in my head," she said with a smile. "Your dislike of certain smells, the moodiness, the constant fatigue. It was the same with the twins at the time."

Had it been that obvious? Suddenly a terrible thought crossed my mind. "What about Julian? Does he also suspect that I'm pregnant?"

She shook her head. "No, my son is blind, so to speak, when it comes to things like that," she smirked. "But we women just have a feel for it." She gave me the test back. "By the way, I also told your mom about that."

"Mom knows it?" I asked in disbelief. When she nodded, I continued to probe. "Who else knows about it?"

"Peyton and Haley," she admitted, grinning. "Oh, and the kindergarten teacher. But Haley was the first who noticed it. She said you don't like her cookies anymore."

I rolled my eyes. Those damn cookies were to blame that half of Tree Hill knew I was pregnant again! Only one person didn't know it yet. And I had to change that immediately. "Can you look after the twins?" I asked, turning to my mother-in-law.

She nodded, then frowned. "Of course. What are you going to do?" She asked curiously.

"I'm going to the movie set," I said determinedly, reaching for my car key. "If everyone already knows, it's time for Julian to know as well." I started to go to the front door when Sylvia stopped me.