Chapter 25

Julian's POV

Gynecological practice

It was like when my mother had tried to commit suicide and I had to wait outside in the waiting room until she was taken care of and I was allowed to see her. And I remembered again the feeling of helplessness and fear while I was saying prayers. Only this time it was Brooke and not my mother. But the feeling was exactly the same. Fear, helplessness, weakness, being unable to do anything for her. I would have liked to be by her side, but the doctor had made it clear that he had to do some examinations and tests first to make a more accurate diagnosis. When they finally led me into the examination room, I was completely exhausted and expected the worst. Immediately I looked at Brooke, and my heart sank as I saw tears in her eyes. Hesitantly, I walked to the examination chair where Brooke lay with her belly exposed, and sat down beside her.

"Julian..."

When she held out her hand to me, I grabbed it and noticed how clammy it was. So I wasn't the only one who was nervous, she was it too. I looked uncertainly at the doctor, who gave me an encouraging nod.

"We have completed the gynecological examinations," he explained and turned on the ultrasound device. "Now let's take a closer look at the baby."

I hadn't noticed that I had reflexively held my breath and now exhaled with relief. Tensely, I watched the doctor as he spread some gel on Brooke's belly and then placed the probe on it. I noticed Brooke's grip tightening around my hand.

"Well, that looks pretty good," said the doctor and looked at the monitor. "According to my calculations, and because the timing of conception isn't known, I would guess that you are around the 10th week of pregnancy," he informed Brooke. He switched on something on his device and then let the ultrasound probe rotate over her belly.

When you could hear the sound of a beating heart, I turned my head to Brooke and our eyes met. We both thought the same; that was the heartbeat of our baby. And it was alive. But when I turned my gaze back to the doctor and saw him staring at the monitor with a frown, I became increasingly nervous. "What is it, Doctor?" I asked, feeling my heart beating faster in fear.

"Just a minute..." He adjusted something on his device and put the ultrasound probe back on Brooke's belly. "Well, I thought I was wrong, but what I get here is clearly two heartbeats," he said with a smile.

I looked at Brooke, who looked at me wide-eyed. "Two heartbeats?" I echoed, and it took me a while to realize what the doctor had just revealed to us.

He nodded. "Usually you can't see at that early stage of pregnancy whether it's one baby or more. But in your case, it's obvious." He looked up and smiled again. "Congratulations! You're having twins."

I sat there stunned, only barely noticing that Brooke had started to sob. "Are... are you really sure, Doctor?" I stuttered.

"I've been doing this for many years, and yes, I'm sure. You're expecting twins."

I leaned down to Brooke to kiss her and suddenly felt her arms around my neck. "Hey, it's going to be okay," I said softly as I squeezed her tearful face against mine.

"I can imagine that this is a shock for you," said the doctor, clearing his throat. "Especially under these circumstances. But I can reassure you. There is a procedure that we have been using successfully for a long time to prevent premature births or even miscarriages. "

"You mean you can save our baby... I mean,... our babies this time?" I asked, looking at the doctor full of hope.

He nodded. "At least we can try. It may be easier if it would be just one baby, but we've used it on twins as well." He cleared his throat before continuing with his explanation. "The procedure is called 'Cerclage'. With a cord, the cervix will be sealed, so it can't come to an early birth or miscarriage. It used to be done under general anesthesia, but today they often use a PDA, spinal anesthesia. The procedure is gentler for both, mother and child and lasts no longer than 15-20 minutes. After the surgery, the mother has to stick strictly to bed rest. I have to emphasize this again, because for many women it isn't clear what it means to be unable to do anything for the time being. Not everyone is ready to stay in bed for several weeks or even months. And sometimes the life situation doesn't allow it either. Are you willing to make this sacrifice?"

I looked at Brooke and saw uncertainty and confusion in her eyes. She wouldn't be able to make such a serious decision now. But the way the doctor looked at us, it was clear that it was the only chance. I took a deep breath. "Yes, we're ready," I said in a slightly trembling voice as I avoided Brooke's gaze. I didn't know what to do next. I only knew that I wanted to do all that is humanly possible to save our babies.

The doctor nodded pleased and then turned to his patient. "Okay, then that's settled. I will call the hospital to make clear that you get hospitalized. There, the procedure will then be carried out in one to two days. Until then, you have time to prepare everything at home. As I said, strict bed rest is required. And you shouldn't be alone in case of complications." He smiled sympathetically. "I leave the two of you alone for a moment so you can calmly discuss everything again."

When the doctor had left, Brooke looked at me. "Bed rest?" She stammered. "For weeks and months?" She shook her head. "What about Justin? Who will take care of him? And what about my store?"

"We'll find a solution," I promised and took a cloth and wiped the gel from her stomach. "The only thing that matters is that our babies will be saved." Carefully, I placed my hand on her belly. "Our babies," I repeated and smiled. "Would you have thought that they are twins?" I looked at Brooke, who was strangely quiet.

"Julian... I... I can't do that...", she blurted out. "You heard what the doctor said. There must always be someone there. And this 'Cerclage' is no guarantee that we'll get two healthy babies."

"You don't even want to try it?" I asked, looking at her in disbelief.

"I... I'm scared," she confessed. "What if it still goes wrong?"

"It won't." I put her in my arms and held her tight. I didn't know where I suddenly got the feeling of safety. But I knew that I was serious about what I had said. "Do you trust me?" I asked, looking deep into her eyes.

"I trust you," she whispered softly.

When she reached for my hand, put it on her belly and then placed her hand over mine, I knew that we had just decided together on the fate of our twins. And I hoped my prognosis would come true and our babies would survive.