Chapter 33

Brooke's POV

Four months later

Whoever said that time was flying was really right. At the beginning of my pregnancy I had thought that I would never endure it. But thanks to Sylvia, my husband and my best friends, who had supported me in the last few months, the time had passed quickly. I was 7 months pregnant now and there had been a lot of changes in my life, mostly positive ones. Justin was in kindergarten now, as was Jamie. The two were still best friends, and Justin was more at Haley's than at home. Julian and Paul had begun filming the 'Ravens' series, and I spent my time with watching movies on DVD and drawing clothing drafts. In the meantime my mother took care of 'Clothes Over Bros' and therefore had even moved from New York to Tree Hill. She and Sylvia had become friends, and I was glad to have my family around me. This made the whole waiting a little more bearable, even though the pregnancy became more strenuous from week to week. Surprisingly, the last check-up at the doctor's office had revealed that Julian and I would become parents of sons, making the choice of clothes a little easier, or choosing the color of the nursery. But I also had to say goodbye to my dream of a daughter. After it was clear that we would get boys, Julian and I had searched for baby names and soon had found them. Actually, everything was ready for the arrival of the twins. Now it was time to wait and be patient. Sylvia had gone shopping and Julian was on the set when there was a knock on the door. Slowly I got up from the sofa, went to the door and opened it. I had thought it was my mother, or maybe Haley or the postman, but it was Tom Markham, Justin's birth father, who stood in front of me and eyed me from head to toe. Since the adoption had been finalized, we hadn't heard from him. It was a surprise to see him here now, but not a pleasant one.

"Is your husband around?"

No welcome, no friendly phrases. He came straight to the point. "No, he's at the film set," I said hesitantly, studying him more closely. He looked different. The last time we had seen each other, he had looked like a jungle man. Now he wore a modern short haircut, was shaved and casually dressed in jeans and T-shirt. I suddenly understood why Chelsea had fallen for him. Tom Markham was handsome. But his good look didn't cover up his true nature.

"Can you tell me where the film set is?" He asked.

I frowned. "Why, what do you want from my husband?"

"He called me and told me he was shooting a new TV series. They would need a cameraman. I've been out of the job for a while, but I'd like to work behind the camera again."

Julian had called him? I couldn't believe it! I cleared my throat. "What about your surfer shop?"

"I sold it," he said. "Just like my beach house. The decision wasn't easy, but I think I owe it to Chelsea that I take care of our son. I said goodbye to everything and everybody in L.A. to start a new life here."

My stomach contracted slightly. So that was why he came to Tree Hill, I thought bitterly. He wanted to take Justin away from us! "'Our son'," I mimicked him. "Until a few months ago, you didn't even know that you have a son!"

"Listen, Brooke," he began, fixing me with narrowed eyes. "I know you don't like me. No idea what Chelsea had told you about me, but I'm not the bad person you think I am. When I found out she was pregnant, I panicked. I was 22 and felt too young to become a father. I didn't want that responsibility. That's why I gave her the money. I didn't even think about it. I regret this today, and I'm glad Chelsea had the baby."

I stared at him, reluctantly admitting that his words affected me. What he said sounded honest. He really regretted what he had done. "If you accept the job as a cameraman in Tree Hill," I began reluctantly, "will you move here as well?"

"That's the plan," he said, nodding. "I had enough time to think about it. I have my job and still can be close to Justin."

A queasy feeling came over me. "You want to tell him you're his father?" I stammered, realizing what he was up to.

"He's old enough to know the truth," he said, looking at me. "One day he will have to decide where he wants to live, with you or with me, his biological father."

I looked at him with a stunned expression. He was really here to take Justin away from us! I wondered if Julian knew that when he had offered him the job. "Justin is legally Julian's and my son now," I said in a slightly trembling voice. "You gave up all rights of him."

He nodded. "Yes, and I regret that today. In fact, I was forced to do so at the time. But my life situation has changed since then. And when I have a job and an apartment, nobody can say that I'm unfit to be a father."

"You're four and a half year too late," I muttered.

"Better late than never." He grinned. "So, will you give me the address of the film set now?"

I gave him the address and then looked after him with mixed feelings. For a moment, I considered calling Julian and warning him. But I immediately rejected the idea. If I called him on the set right now, he'd probably think something was wrong with the babies. And I didn't want him to worry unnecessarily. But I had to talk to somebody now. I reached for my cell phone and dialed Haley's number.

"Brooke? Everything okay? Are you in labor?"

I smiled. Every time I called her she asked the same questions. "No, Don't worry. Everything is fine. I just need someone to talk to."

"Something happened?"

I took a deep breath. "Justin's biological father was here," I told her. "It looks like Julian offered him a job on the set."

"Is that bad?"

"I don't know yet," I admitted with a sigh. "He wants to move to Tree Hill to be closer to his son. I'm afraid he wants to take Justin away from us, Hales."

"He can't do that. The boy is legally your son. Don't worry, Brooke. Even if he tried to take Justin away from you, he wouldn't stand a chance."

"Do you think so?"

"Yes, I do. You can contact the lawyer again if you're unsure. But I don't think he has a legal handle. The adoption is finalized."

"Yes, it's probably a good idea to call the lawyer and ask him. Thanks, Hales." I smiled. "Now I'm a little calmer."

"What are the twins doing?"

I gently put a hand on my rounded belly. "I think they're sleeping right now. But the night was terrible. They were clambering about all the time, keeping me awake."

"That's normal at the end of the pregnancy. And I'm talking about how it had been with Jamie. I can't imagine what it's like to have two babies in my belly. But don't worry. It won't be long before you can hold them in your arms."

"Yeah, another 10 weeks, if everything goes smoothly until then," I sighed and petted my belly.

"You will see that time will pass very quickly. Unfortunately I have to go now. I have to pick up Jamie from kindergarten."

"Yes, Sylvia wanted to pick up Justin after her shopping trip, too. Take care, Hales."

I hung up and went back to the sofa while gently massaging my belly. For a few days I had noticed that my belly became hard when I was up too long, which was the case now. But lying was not really relaxing. There was no position that was comfortable enough to stay there for hours. How could I endure this for another 10 weeks? Sighing, I reached for the remote control and pressed 'Play' to continue with the movie I had watched before Markham had interrupted me.