Chapter 10

Brooke's POV

Brooke's house

I stood in front of the mirror, tugging at my too short and tight dress, while I wondered if it was a bit too sexy for a 'business meeting'. Tonight Julian and I wanted to meet for the first time and go through the first draft of my costumes. I had already prepared a lot and was really proud of my work. But most of all, I was looking forward to seeing him again. That's why I needed an extra long time to choose the right outfit. My hair, that I wore loose, was brushed until it fell silky and glossy over my shoulders. And I also had put a lot of effort into my make-up. Not to mention the procedure to remove all hairs from my body. And I couldn't have helped but bought new underwear. Black lingerie, matching to my skintight black and gray mini dress. Not that I intended to take it off, but you never knew what the evening would bring. I went to the fridge and looked inside. I had wine and beer, depending on how the evening would proceed. When it suddenly knocked on the door, my eyes went to the clock in alarm. He was too early! I wasn't ready yet. I straightened my top and went to the door. But it was not Julian who greeted me, but Haley.

"Wow, Brooke! Do you want to go out?"

I let her in and then quickly closed the door behind her. "No, I have my first meeting with Julian," I explained.

"In this outfit?" Haley raised her eyebrows in amusement.

"Is it too much?" I asked unsure and looked down at me.

"Depends on what you expect from the evening." She chuckled. "It definitely looks more like 'let's make out on the couch' than 'look at my draft'."

She was right. "I'm changing my clothes," I said with a sigh and was about to leave the room when she grabbed my arm.

"The question is what you really want, Brooke. Apparently it's not enough for you, to just work with him. You want more, right?"

I nodded sheepishly and lowered my head.

"That's fine."

"No, it's not," I said in frustration. "I'm not 17 anymore, Hales. If I start a relationship now, then it should be something permanent. I had enough affairs in the years before. What I'm looking for right now is the man who stays with me forever."

"Wow. Are you talking about marriage? Well, if I were in your place, Brooke, then maybe I wouldn't mention it towards Julian. I mean, there is nothing that drives men away quicker than the mention of marriage."

"You're married too," I said, frowning irritably.

"Yes, but the beginning was not so easy. And I don't know if we would have married if I hadn't been pregnant. But you're right. Meanwhile, marriage is even fun. But in the beginning it was hard work."

"I just want to do it right this time," I admitted with a sigh. "At that time we reacted on impulse. I want to create a basis for us this time."

She assessed me from top to bottom. "Yeah, you're right. You should change your clothes. Otherwise you will send out the wrong signals."

I ran to my bedroom, pulled a pair of light blue jeans and a peach top out of the closet and ran back. "Better?" I held my clothes up in the air.

"You should probably wear a loose blouse over the top. But then it's perfect," Haley said.

I looked at her thoughtfully. "Why are you here?" When she started to grin and look embarrassed on the floor, I dug deeper. "Spit it out! What's the reason you came to my place?"

"Peyton told me that you have your meeting with Julian today," she confessed. "And I just wanted to give you moral support. I think I came in time."