Chapter 29

Brooke's POV

In the hospital

The argument with Julian had been on my mind even after hours. I hated it when we argued, and in that case I knew it was not his fault. I had met Sylvia Baker and knew how manipulative and dominant she was and what influence she had on him until today. But apparently he didn't want to see it or just ignored it. However, that didn't change the fact that she had to leave Tree Hill. And since Julian was too weak to say his opinion, I would have to do it. But as long as I had to stay in the hospital it wasn't feasible. I had to wait until my release. Just when I pondered how I could do it, the door opened and my eyes widened with shock as I saw who came to visit me. "Mrs. Baker!?" I exclaimed.

"Sylvia," she corrected with a smile. "We should finally stop being so formal with each other, Brooke. You're my son's wife after all and soon my grandchildren's mother as well."

I could only stare at her, wondering what she wanted here. Haven't Julian told her that I wasn't interested in her company? I cleared my throat. "Julian haven't told me that you were for a visit in Tree Hill," I lied. I saw her lower lip twitch slightly.

"Oh really? Well, he must have forgotten it," she said, forcing a smile. "Well, it's just that I didn't simply come to visit. Julian kindly invited me to spend some time here."

I clawed my fingers in the blanket and tried to stay calm. I had guessed that my husband wouldn't have the guts to kick her out. "I don't think that will be necessary," I said coolly, raising my chin a little higher. "Julian and I get along fine on our own."

"But I see it differently." She pulled up a chair and sat down. "Julian told me that you have to be on bed rest for the next few months. And he won't have time to take care of you because he has to work. And then there's the little boy you want to adopt. How do you want to deal with it on your own without any help?"

"Haley and Peyton offered to help me," I clarified.

"Oh, yes, Haley." She nodded. "She's a nice young woman. But she has a family of her own to look after."

I closed my eyes in frustration. She was right. Although Haley wanted to help me, she couldn't be with me all the time. She still had Jamie and Nathan to look after and also a job as a professional singer.

"Why are you rejecting my help? What's your problem?"

I jerked my head and stared at her. "Who says I have a problem?"

"Well, even a blind person can see that. Since I entered this room, you treat me coolly and in such a condescending manner," she said, pursing her lips. "I'm only here to help you."

"But I don't want your help!" I yelled.

"What have I done to you to deserve such a treatment?" She exclaimed in a slightly trembling voice.

"I can't believe you're asking me that!" I shook my head in disbelief. "Seriously? You don't know?" I glared at her. "You called me a slut back then and claimed I was just playing with people's feelings. And you said that I wasn't good enough for your son. Do you remember when I was standing in front of your house asking for Julian's health and you treated me like the last piece of shit? You literally said to me 'You are not welcome here' and chased me away. And then you forbade Julian to see me again." I had talked myself into rage that I couldn't stop anymore. Finally, I had the opportunity to tell her everything that had been on my mind for 5 years. "Should I continue the list? Okay, then listen carefully." I cleared my throat. "You forced him to go to L.A., although he was happy in Tree Hill. You destroyed our lives because you were unhappy with yours. Do you have any idea what you did to Julian all these years?! No? I will tell you. He still has nightmares and wakes up drenched in sweat, because he has never forgotten how he found you half-dead in the bathtub! And you're asking me why I treat you bad? Ask yourself what you did to others! Nobody wants you here. So why don't you just leave and never come back!"

Breathing heavily, I finished the sentence and waited for her reaction. I had expected everything except that she suddenly jumped up, put her hand over her mouth and ran to the door with a stifled sob. When she opened it and ran out I just stared after her in confusion. Only then I realized what I had done. With a trembling hand, I picked up the phone on the table next to my bed and started dialing. I prayed that Julian would be home. He was the only one who could stop her from doing something stupid. Luckily he answered the call on the first ring.

"Julian? I did something really bad!" I said hurriedly.

"What happened?"

"Your mother was here," I told him. "And I said pretty mean things to her. Then she ran out crying and I'm afraid she'll do something stupid!"

"What did you say to her?"

"Everything." I noticed tears running down my cheeks. "All things that have been bothering me for years I have thrown on her head," I said desperately. "I was so full of anger and hatred. I just didn't think about what that would do to her."

"Okay, keep calm! She was in the hospital?"

I nodded. "Yes, she was here to visit me. I don't even know why. She said something about wanting to help us."

"We'll clarify that later. She took my car. I'll have to borrow yours then. Is this okay?"

"Yes, sure. Just come quickly. Maybe she's just running around outside and didn't take the car," I said, hoping I would be right. When Julian hung up, I leaned back and wiped the tears from my cheeks. If Sylvia did something to herself, it was my fault alone! I remembered how Julian had told me how mentally unstable she was. An argument like that could lead in another suicide attempt. I might not like her much, but I didn't want her dead. Minutes became hours, until the door finally opened and Julian entered.

"Did you find her?" I asked him nervously.

He came closer and shook his head slowly. "No, and I'm afraid that we won't find her so soon," he said hesitantly and looked at me with a serious expression. "She didn't run out to take a walk. She took the car and drove away."