~One~

one

Kol was a bit shell shocked after his quick brush with death.

The baby Gilbert had only just missed his heart with the white oak stake, but his poor aim had given the Reckless Original enough time to snatch the cursed wood from his chest then run to Klaus, who had taken him tightly into his arms and vamp sped the two of them back to the Mikaelson Mansion.

So yeah, Kol was shell shocked.

:3

"I'm going to visit a friend."

Elijah and Rebekah had been sitting with a frozen Kol for about three hours before he spoke.

His sister had that look of horrified realization when she found out how close she was to losing another brother.

His eldest living brother wore a serene, calm facade that barely hid the murderous hate and thirst for revenge on the Gilbert boy.

Klaus hadn't bothered with hiding it and was, as of right now, hunting him down.

When Kol finally said something, his two siblings turned to look at him, confused and curious to who this friend might be.

"Who, brother?" Rebekah asked softly, feeling the need to be quiet, like she was speaking to a small, startled child.

"As a teenage girl would say, 'my bestest friend in the whole wide world,' dear sister. Me almost dying tonight... I haven't seen her since I was daggered. I just want to see her again."

"Her?" Eljiah inquired, an eyebrow raised. "A past lover? Kol, I hardly think that in your current condition-"

"She's not!" The youngest Mikaelson brother cleared his throat, "Gracelyn is not a past lover. She was there for me when you lot practically abandoned me."

Both of them had the decency to look ashamed.

Up until the moment Niklaus had daggered, the trio of siblings believed that Kol would draw Mikael to them. They had no idea that he would instead befriend someone on his path of blood and gore.

Elijah, unwilling to let his brother sink back into a catatonic state, asked, and not because he was curious and just wanted to know, "How did you meet?"

A faint smile graced Kol's lips, "I was initially going to slaughter the small town to get your attention. I decided to go to the bar first, just to get a drink. And as I walk into the small establishment, I hear the most beautiful voice I have ever heard. Like an angel."

Rebekah smiled at the look on his face. She hadn't seen him like that since they were human.

"I had the first moment of clarity since forever. The way she sang, with all her heart and soul and if it's even possible, with her body. No one could take their eyes off her. I was too enraptured to even think about killing anyone or even her for that matter."

Elijah too, seemed shocked that the mere song of a woman could make the Mikaelson that was known to be Reckless pause and think before acting. Something must've been special about her.

"I had to meet her face to face. Seeing her on stage wasn't enough, I needed it to be just us. And there was something about her that I... She smelled irresistible mind you, but I felt like I'd be ridding the world of one of it's most precious gifts. Because that's what Gracie was to me, a gift. Someone who wanted to know me and wanted to know how I was, if I was okay."

His siblings exchanged a glanced.

"I couldn't believe I blurted everything out to her. And Gracie..." Kol looked at Elijah then at Rebekah, "She asked me for nothing. Didn't ask me once to change her or do anything for her."

"Yet you still did, didn't you?" The blonde said hesitantly, to which he nodded.

"We were going to catch dinner together and when I came around the back of the bar to get her, there were four huge men surrounding my bloody and unconscious Angel. I can't even imagine what they would have done had I not shown up."

Expressions of disgust and rage flickered over all three of their faces.

"That was the night she died... and them?"

Kol smirked darkly, "More than dead." It startled the two, when the Reckless Original stood straight up and turned towards the door, his stride quick and confident.

Elijah looked at Rebekah, their eyes wide, but she made a quick gesture for him follow their brother.

:3

Kol had planned to run the whole way to New York City, to not even bother to stop. He just needed Gracie. She was that shining light in his darkness. She was the guiding hand that a mother or older sister should be. He needed her desperately.

There was a jingle of metal behind him, making Kol look over his shoulder with a raised eyebrow.

Elijah stood there behind him, with his keys in his hand.

"You know I can't drive, right, brother?"

The suited Original rolled his eyes, "Of course I do, Kol. I'm offering to drive you to wherever she is. I, personally, would love to meet her."

Their identical brown eyes met, one pair were narrowed and suspicious, the other, wide and honest.

"Why?"

"I want to see the woman who changed my brother. Made him feel human again."

Kol pursed his lips, eyes narrowing even further, "Alright. But fair warning, she's a classy lady who likes to be treated right. Gracie's a dam good friend. I will not lose her because of you, Klaus or Bekah. She's my family away from family."

Elijah nodded, "So where are we going?"