~Twenty One~

twenty one

Gracelyn patted down her dress and looked into the mirror. Never before had she been nervous to sing in front of people. She had sung in front of all types of people. And the songstress had sung with Kol and Hartley in the crowd. But tonight, all of the Mikaelsons and Harry were here. Elijah was here.

The door to her little dressing room opened and there stood the owner, Vyvyan Twemlow. She wasn't young, but she wasn't old either. She was beautiful and ran the Fitzroy Palace Hotel with her husband of forty years, Gary.

The short woman smiled, the curve of her lips tired but grateful, "Thank you so much for doing this, Miss Wysteria. You have no idea what this means to me."

The songstress smiled too and she shook her head slightly, "Don't thank me for something I love doing, Mrs Twemlow. It is my pleasure."

"Call me Vyvyan, please. I must say you look absolutely beautiful."

Gracie stroked the tight, sparkly dress with the slit up the side. It had been a gift and she had so few reasons to wear it. But tonight was to be a reopening for a small bar, so it was the perfect scenario.

"Your family has seated themselves in the far right corner, while everywhere is packed," Vyvyan almost cried, her voice watery and filled with disbelief, "We haven't been packed in over thirty years."

The songstress smiled when the woman took her hand, "Thank you. Thank you."

The blonde vampire laughed softly and said, "Please stop thanking me. I'm happy to be here."

Vyvyan wiped her face and took in a shuddering breath. She stood straight then noticed Gracelyn's own unease. And why, "Who is in the audience?"

A nervous smile flickered on the Dutch vampire's face, but she didn't answer.

:3

Gracelyn stepped through a door, onto the stage, waiting for the heavy red curtains to pull open. She took in a small breath and closed her eyes to soothe her nerves.

Vyvyan had been right. The only reason she was this way, was because there was a certain someone in the audience.

Again, the songstress played with her already perfect dress.

A bright spotlight then centred on her, making Gracie wince slightly.

Out of the corner of her ice blue eyes, she saw Vyvyan standing close to the curtain ropes holding up five fingers counting them down slowly.

When she got to three, Gracelyn began.

:3

"~I gotta take a little time, a little time to think things over.~"

Hartley and the Mikaelsons sat in a dark booth in the back of the bar, behind the packed tables of men and women wanting to see the famous Gracelyn Wysteria.

Their view, however, was perfect, and everyone's attention snapped to the closed curtains, all conversation silenced by her angelic voice.

"~I better read between the lines, in case I need it when I'm older.~"

Kol and Hartley watched Elijah, amused to see him absolutely entranced.