it was summer when i saw your face

Wearily, Harry quietly made his way into the mudroom where his Mum was sat pulling on her heels and straightening her blazer.

He didn't know why he was being quiet, she was eventually going to notice him anyways when he opened his mouth to speak.

His heart rate was high; he could hear it ringing in his ears. 

His palms were so sweaty; they left a mark on his shorts when he wiped them down his thighs.

"Hi Mum," he perked up, peeking his head through the threshold to see his Mum standing in the mirror, fixing her outfit.

She turned to her son, a loving smile growing on her lips. "Hi lovey," she said softly, pulling the handle up on her little carry on suitcase.

"You're coming back this weekend right?" Harry quickly asked, trying to make this conversation seem like the subject line was completely different.

"Yes, I am love. I'm sorry I can't be here for your first week of summer. I wanted to take you downtown to commemorate your graduation," 

Harry shook his head rapidly. "No worries," he breathed. "We're still going to the cottage this weekend with Zayn, yeah?"

"Of course Harry!" she spoke, sitting her purse on the top of her carry on and sliding the sling over the handle.

"Yeah," Harry nodded, blinking at his stupid question.

His Mum didn't answer, turning back to herself in the mirror, pushing her hair to the side.

Harry stood there, practically frozen as he watched his Mum. She was so busy, she didn't even notice.

"You alright love?" she finally questioned, turning her body towards his.

Harry ran his finger over his eyebrow and closed his eyes.

"Hey Mum?" he said weakly, his eyes squeezed shut.

"Yes, Harry?" she frowned, unable to read his body language.

Staying quiet for a minute, Harry ran his hand down his eyes and to his cheeks.

His Mum watched him, utterly confused with his current mannerisms. 

With an abrupt inhale, Harry sputtered the words he never heard himself say out loud. 

"I'm gay,"

A brief moment after he had said the words, he opened his eyes and looked back at his Mum who was now, fixing her hair in the mirror.

"Is that all?" she asked, beaming softly at her son before turning the doorknob and reaching for her carry on.

"That's all," Harry said through gritted teeth, completely unaware of the fact that he was barely breathing. 

"Okay," his Mum nodded, opening the door and stepping out. She then patted her front pockets, then her back pockets and finally leaned over to dig in her purse. 

"Pass me my keys love," she said, her voice the same as if Harry hadn't spoken at all. 

Harry was so puzzled.