Back to Back

"Haruki! Get back to the village!"

Haruki gritted her teeth as her kunai came into contact with an enemy Kumogakure ninja's katana, prompting her to shove the offender away and leap to safety in the trees above the battleground.

As Haruki shot up into the air, she saw Shisui as he was surrounded by three other enemy shinobi, and almost immediately redirected herself towards him. The shinobi had been watching the pair since they left Konoha, choosing to jump out and take them by surprise when they were too far away from the village to call for help.

"Haruki!" exclaimed Shisui as the Hyūga stood back to back with him, nodding at him over her shoulder. The veins by Haruki's eyes were visible as she fought with her Byakugan activated, grimacing at her partner.

"You didn't think I was going to abandon you, did you?!"

"Well, I was kind of hoping you would!" retorted Shisui as he returned his attention back to the two Kumo shinobi who were now standing before him, leering as they threatened the pair's safety.

"Isn't this sweet," drawled one of the Kumo kunoichi, whose bright red hair was tied back in a high ponytail, while a fringe completely obscured one of her eyes. "We had a feeling you Konoha folk would be nosy and try to come see us. Maybe your village will get the hint if we take some prisoners."

"I would rather die!" spat Haruki venomously, glaring intensely at the woman.

"That works too!"

The four shinobi simultaneously launched themselves at Haruki and Shisui, who instinctively pulled up into their defence stances and returned the fight with equal passion and vigour.

Time passed, and soon, three out of four of the Kumo shinobi had been successfully subdued.

As Shisui disposed of his second assailant, he turned his attention back to Haruki, who found herself slowly tiring against the redheaded woman's tirades as she clutched onto her bloodied arm. The sun had set a long time ago, and Haruki felt her body weakening the longer she fought against the Kumo shinobi. While Haruki had easily taken care of the redhead's companion a long time ago, the redhead herself seemed to be a bigger problem than her three comrades combined, inflicting several small injuries on the Hyūga, which eventually culminated into an amount that was enough to affect Haruki's performance.

"HARUKI!"

It was only a split second later that Haruki realised that the enemy kunoichi had moved, but before she could react, she heard the clashing sound of metal as she felt Shisui brush against her back in her defence.

To avoid being a hindrance to the Uchiha, Haruki lurched forward and threw herself down onto the ground, watching Shisui's battle with her Byakugan activated as she lay face down in the dirt, grimacing to herself as she clutched at the gaping wound on her arm which absolutely refused to stop bleeding.

She watched as Shisui swiftly dealt to the redhead, sending her to meet her comrades' fate, before he returned to her side and picked her up off of the ground.

"Haru-chan, are you okay?!" exclaimed Shisui in worry, eyes skimming over the Hyūga's state as he pinpointed where exactly her most critical injuries were.

"I'm fine," insisted the Hyūga through gritted teeth, gently pushing Shisui aside and wincing as she sat up.

"No, you're not. Let me heal you up first!"

"... alright. And then we'll keep going."

"Haru-chan, you're in no state to be going anywhere," scoffed Shisui, sitting with his legs crossed before his partner. "Besides, we should inform the Hokage that the Kumo shinobi are aware that we know they're here. We can't take them all on by ourselves."

"Okay."