First Watch

"Let's set up camp for the night."

Two weeks into their month long campaign, Haruki was growing more and more aware of the fact that she was slowly beginning to fall into the role of mission leader, something which irked her more because she knew Shisui was a far more experienced shinobi than she was.

"Alright, boss."

As Shisui made to set up their sleeping bags, Haruki began gathering the things she would need to start up a fire. Compared to her mood when they had first set off on their mission, Haruki had grown more mellow and relaxed, which Shisui perceived as a good thing.

"Tomorrow, we're going to keep following the leads we got from the last village and hope they lead us somewhere," explained Haruki as she started their fire, watching as the slowly burning embers glowed. "I feel like that's something we're going to be doing for a while."

"Understood."

Shisui dusted off Haruki's sleeping bag as he lay it on the other side of the fire, grinning at her brightly.

"You know, you make a really good leader," he said cheerfully, sitting on his sleeping bag and slipping off his shoes. "Have you considered becoming a squad leader for the genin? I think you'd be really good at it."

"Shisui, I'm not going to be a team leader for children who are only a few years younger than me," scoffed Haruki, heading towards her own sleeping bag once she was satisfied with the roaring fire. "What about you? Why don't you take up a position at the Academy, or work with the children?"

Shisui scrunched up his nose in distaste.

"I like kids, but not when I have to teach them," he laughed, laying down across his bedding. "Gross."

"You're a kid too, you know."

"You're one to talk, Miss Fourteen-Years-Old."

"I turned fifteen yesterday."

"What?!"

Haruki smirked in satisfaction as she crawled into her sleeping bag, ignoring Shisui's flabbergasted splutters.

"Why didn't you tell me?!" The Uchiha made his way to Haruki's side, poking her as he knelt next to her. "We went through that village- we could've bought something to celebrate!"

"It's no big deal. It's just another day."

"Well, now we're the same rank and the same age. Well, at least until October."

"Until then, I'll have fun doing and saying whatever I want to you," said Haruki jokingly, the reflection of the flames dancing in her eyes as she looked up at the Uchiha. "Get some rest, Shisui."

"I guess that means I'm on first watch, then," grumbled Shisui as he sat down and stretched his arms, staring at Haruki with a dumb smile on his face. When he kept staring at her for longer than necessary, Haruki raised an eyebrow and asked, "Are you okay?"

"Huh?"

"Why are you smiling at me like a creep?"

"Was I?!"

"Yes, creepy smile and all. You realise 'first watch' means watching out for enemies, right? Not watching me sleep?"

"I can't do both?"

Haruki laughed and turned over in her sleeping bag, pulling it as far up as she could to her face.

"Goodnight, Shisui," she smiled, closing her eyes. As she drifted off to sleep, she felt Shisui's gaze resting on her.