First Steps

"Hanabi, make sure he doesn't-"

"Nee-chan! Look, he's walking!"

The air was filled with cheers as the Hyūga and Uchiha families enjoyed a picnic together one day at Senju Park, watching Masumi take his first steps as he played with Hanabi on the grass at the edge of their picnic mat.

Haruki, Shisui, and Masumi were joined by Namiko, Hiashi, Hanabi, and Hinata for the occasion, having thought it better to have more family meet ups since tensions had relaxed between Haruki and her father. They made sure to have a family excursion at least once every month; it had almost been a year since Masumi had been born, and there was no doubt in anyone's mind that he was one of the most loved little boys in the entire village. 

"AHH! HARU-CHAN, HIS FIRST STEPS!"

Haruki sweatdropped as Shisui violently grabbed her by the arm and began shaking her in excitement, hearts in his eyes as he watched Hanabi hold her arms out just in case her nephew came toppling down during his unsure steps.

"AHH, HE'S WALKING!" shrieked Hiashi, his own movements mimicking those of Shisui's as he joined the Uchiha's excited frenzy.

"Not you too, otou-san!" cried out Haruki as her father began shaking her from the other side, leaving her a dizzy mess as she was pushed back and forth by the overly excited males. Beside Hanabi, Namiko chuckled as she sat with her legs out and crossed, leaning back as she smiled at her grandson.

"Nee-nee, look!" called out Hanabi to Hinata, who was returning to the family after briefly going off to the bathroom. After a few seconds of teetering precariously, Masumi let out a little whine and fell onto his butt, having found walking to be too tiring for him and choosing to continue the rest of his journey with a crawl.

"Masumi!" whined Hanabi, crawling after her nephew and tugging at the hem of his pants. "Come on, show nee-nee your walking!"

Hinata quietly joined Namiko's side, reaching into the picnic basket beside her and picking up an onigiri.

"You alright, Hina-chan?" asked Namiko kindly, patting the new Hyūga heiress on the head as she timidly began to unwrap her rice ball.

"Y-Yes, obaa-san."

Hinata was quiet as she watched Hanabi and Masumi crawl over to her older sister, feeling a dull aching in her chest.

Yes, she was absolutely overjoyed for Haruki. She was happy, she was healthy, and she had a family of her own now. Shisui was a loving partner, and they made a picture perfect family together with Masumi.

But at the same time, Hinata couldn't help but feel a slight bit of resentment towards her older sister. Ever since Hiashi had made Hinata the new clan heiress, she couldn't remember the last time she'd gotten a good night's rest, or had genuine peace of mind, or went without his endless comparisons between her and Haruki's performance when Haruki had been Hinata's age.

Hinata knew that Haruki had been strong enough to endure her father's strict training and conditioning- Haruki was far more than capable of handling the duties expected of her as heiress. She had been born for the role of heiress.

But Hinata?

She wasn't sure if she could ever measure up to the standards Haruki had set.

No matter how hard she tried, she had a feeling that her father felt the same way.