Duty

"Otou-san, I've already prepared dinner for Hinata and Hanabi. All you need to do is heat it up."

On her one free day of the month, Haruki relayed the information regarding her little sisters' evening meals after she had prepared it. Her father, having only just returned from a mission, waved his eldest daughter away as he trudged past her into the kitchen.

"Thank you, Haruki," mumbled the clan leader as he sat at the dining table, where Haruki had already tenderly prepared his own meal. "For dinner. And for looking after your sisters."

"It's my duty, otou-san. Hanabi is napping right now, and Hinata should be coming home with Neji later on in the evening. Do you mind if I go and get ready for tonight?"

"Where are you going again?" asked Hiashi absentmindedly, removing his forehead protector and placing it on the table. "Dinner with friends, yes?"

"Yes, otou-san."

"Alright. Do you have enough?"

"Yes, otou-san. I still have plenty of money left over from my last mission."

Hiashi let out a loud sigh as he picked up his chopsticks, leaning back in his seat.

"Good girl," he said, hands on either side of his meal as he looked up at Haruki. "But now that you're old enough, I'm going to begin training Hinata as well. I've taught you all I know- now, I need to make sure your sisters are strong enough when they reach your age."

Haruki grimaced at the thought of her younger sister having to endure the gruelling training her father had subjected her to, but she knew that it was for the best. Being the daughters of the Hyūga clan's leader meant that there were high expectations for all of them, not just Haruki. She feared for how Hinata would fare under her father's tutelage with her meek disposition, which she had inherited from their mother.

"Thank you for teaching me, otou-san," said Haruki quietly, bowing respectfully at her father. He merely shook his head and began picking away at his bowl of rice.

"It's as you said before. It was my duty. Now go on, get ready. Have fun with your friends."

"Yes, otou-san."