Nee-chan

"Nee-chan. Where's Hinata?"

Haruki looked up from her notebook as Hanabi stood at her bedroom door, looking tired as she rubbed one of her eyes.

"She's still out with otou-san," said Haruki, pushing her chair out and wheeling her way to Hanabi. It was four in the afternoon and she had just woken from her afternoon nap, which signalled to Haruki that it was almost time to start getting dinner ready. "Did you need something?"

"I want to play with Hinata," whined Hanabi, stomping her foot on the ground.

"Well, you can play with me!" said Haruki, throwing her hands up in the air. "What do you want to play?"

"You're too big," pouted Hanabi, making Haruki sweatdrop. "I want to play with Hinata."

"Well, I mean, I can transform into Hinata if you want..."

"Why is Hinata always gone?" asked Hanabi quietly, making Haruki frown.

"Well, because, otou-san has to train her and make sure that she's big and strong enough for the Academy!" explained Haruki, her pride wounded at the fact that Hanabi wanted Hinata rather than herself. "One day, when you're old enough, you'll be training with them as well!"

"I don't want to train. I want to play with Hinata."

Haruki sighed, knowing she wasn't going to get any work done while Hanabi was here crying out for Hinata. Although she was already a jōnin, Haruki knew the importance of keeping up her self-education, constantly expanding her literary, historical, and mathematical knowledge, as anything that wasn't relating to ninjutsu wasn't particularly focused on after she had graduated from the Academy.

"I'm sorry, Hanabi," apologised Haruki. "But, hey! Do you want to go out and grab a snack? How about some yōkan, huh? And then when we get back, we can start making dinner!"

"Yōkan? Okay!"

"Let's go!"

*

After Haruki had bought some yōkan for herself and Hanabi to eat, they decided to stop by the training grounds while they were out and about.

"Look! It's Hinata-nee-chan!"

Hanabi tugged excitedly at Haruki's sleeve as they saw Hinata facing off with their father, huffing and puffing and looking like she was on the verge of tears.

"Come on, Hinata! Again!"

Haruki brought Hanabi to a stop as she saw the concentration on Hinata's face, the veins beside her eyes prominent as she focused her Byakugan on her father.

"Huh? Nee-chan, why is Hinata crying?"

Haruki's heart softened at the sight of Hinata so distraught and anguished by her father's training regimen, but she knew that she would become a better kunoichi because of it.

"She's fine," insisted Haruki, placing a hand on Hanabi's shoulder and steering her away. "Let's go home now so we can-"

"Nee-chan! Nee-chan!"

Hanabi tore away from Haruki's side and sprinted to her other sister, waving gleefully as she came between her and Hiashi. Hinata froze, momentarily stunned at Hanabi's presence, but was knocked to the ground in an instant by her father.

"Never get distracted!" he said tautly, watching as Hanabi gasped and rushed to her sister's side. Dropping her yōkan in the process, Hanabi pushed down on Hinata and asked, "Nee-chan, are you alright?!"

Although she was far from it, Hinata managed a small smile as she took Hanabi's outstretched hand, getting to her feet.

"Yeah," said Hinata timidly, dusting herself off as she straightened up. Haruki rushed forward and grabbed Hanabi's hand, shooting a look of concern at Hinata.

"I'm so sorry, Hinata!" apologised the eldest Hyūga sister, dusting Hinata off as she grabbed Hanabi.

"Haruki. What are you and Hanabi doing here?"

"I'm sorry, otou-san. Hanabi and I were at the store, so we thought we'd stop by and say hi."

"As much as that is appreciated, Hinata and I need to get back to training. Hanabi, your sister and I will see you at home. Okay?"

"... okay."

Dejected by her father's words, Hanabi's shoulders slumped as she walked away with Haruki.

"Hey, nee-chan?"

Once they were well on their way home, Hanabi piped up once more.

"Mhm?"

"... can I have your yōkan?"