Even Now

"... he's beautiful, Haruki-chan."

Later on in the morning, Namiko sat by Haruki's side as they both admired the latest addition to their family, a precious baby boy who was definitely a carbon copy of his father. He came out looking so alike to Shisui that Namiko had been awestruck for the first half hour of his life, making a mental note to show Haruki and Shisui the photos of Shisui when he had been fresh out of the womb as well.

From his hair to his eyes, and his facial features as a whole, there was no arguing that Haruki and Shisui's fourth son was a dead ringer of his father.

"He is, isn't he?" replied Haruki softly, gazing tenderly at her son as he slept soundly in his little bassinet. Namiko gave her daughter-in-law a small smile as she reached out, holding onto one of her hands.

"Miko-chan told me about the trip here," said Namiko, rubbing Haruki's hand with her thumb. "I hope you're not still worried. Shisui should be here soon."

"I'm not that worried anymore," laughed Haruki, waving away her mother-in-law's words. "Thank you for putting up with me tonight. You were more than enough."

"Even so, I know I'm not Shisui. You don't mind if we wait for him before I tell you his name, do you?"

Haruki shook her head slowly with a sleepy smile on her face. 

She was tired, but hell, she was proud. 

"Of course not."

Namiko gently squeezed Haruki's hand, before leaning over and kissing her on the forehead.

"You did a good job, Haruki-chan," congratulated Namiko, brushing strands of Haruki's hair away from her drenched in sweat face. "Thank you for your hard work."

"Thank you for being with me, okaa-san," thanked Haruki quietly, immediately choking on her words as she closed her eyes with a small sob.

Eight years had passed, but for a moment, Haruki allowed herself to believe that it was her own biological mother sitting with her, offering her the words of comfort that she so desperately needed to hear, stroking her hair with the kind of love only a mother could offer. It was foolish of her, but she couldn't help it- and she couldn't help but feel a little guilt at the same time. 

Haruki really did love Namiko. She truly did. Namiko had been nothing but supportive and loving towards Haruki, even before she and Shisui started dating. Namiko had been there for Haruki through her tumultuous pregnancy with Masumi and then the ones that followed, she'd been there for Haruki when her previous children had been born, and she had played a vital role in their upbringing ever since. Without Namiko, Haruki would be struggling to raise with her children, especially with Shisui's constant absences.

Haruki had a lot to be grateful for because of Namiko.

But deep down in her heart, a little piece of Haruki wished that Hanako was here instead for once, even if only for a moment.