Confession

"... hello, Shisui."

Haruki sat with bated breath as she led Shisui into the kitchen, where her father sat at the dining table with a stack of papers before him. Hanabi and Hinata had been put to sleep long ago, and now, Haruki decided that this would be the best time to break the news to her father.

Now nearing six months into her unplanned pregnancy, it was becoming harder for Haruki to mask her baby bump from her father's eye. While he seemed to notice her growing lethargy and increase in weight, he'd never once thought about the possibility of it being because she was with child.

"Hello, Hiashi-sama," murmured Shisui quietly, bowing deeply at the clan leader. Hiashi put down the paper he'd been reading, and looked at the couple with a stoic expression on his face.

"What brings you here at this time?" asked Hiashi, glancing at the clock. It was half past eleven.

"I asked Shisui to come here," squeaked Haruki, mentally cursing herself for sounding so weak. "Because... because we have something we need to tell you."

"... go on."

As Haruki stepped forward to answer her father, Shisui held out an arm to stop her.

"Hiashi-sama, I promise you, I love Haruki with all my heart," began the Uchiha, placing his hand on Haruki's belly as he addressed the Hyūga leader. "And I assure you, I am ready to do whatever it takes to make sure that she is secure and happy."

Hiashi's gaze travelled to Shisui's hand, and he frowned.

"Otou-san," said Haruki softly, treading carefully so as not to incur her father's full wrath and wake up her sleeping sisters. "I'm sorry. But... I'm pregnant."

Hiashi didn't even blink.

"I'm sorry too, Haruki," he said monotonously.

Haruki's eyes widened in surprise, and she stared at her father with puzzlement on her face.

"Wh-what?"

"Pack your things and go," instructed Hiashi coldly, not faltering even once. "I can't have you around giving your sisters the impression that what you are doing is something they should aspire to emulate."

"Hiashi-sama, I-"

"You butt out of this, Uchiha," snapped Hiashi, glaring furiously at Shisui. "Ever since Haruki met you, she's been distant from her training and her duties as heiress. I should've put my foot down and stopped it when I had the chance."

"Otou-san, you make it sound as if I'm a child!" argued Haruki, stunned by her father's words. "I'm perfectly capable of raising a child! It's not as bleak as you think!"

"It's not the child I'm concerned about, Haruki. Do you understand how this looks for us? The clan? The main house? Me, the leader? You, the appointed heiress?"

"Yes, otou-san, but-"

"From today," declared Hiashi, cutting off Haruki and placing a finger on the tabletop. "You are no longer the heiress of this clan. You've dishonoured me, this family, and your place as the clan's next in line. I want you out of this house immediately. Since you so obviously choose this boy over your own clan, why stop? Go, join him. It's what you wanted, isn't it?"

"Otou-san!" exclaimed Haruki through teary eyes, clutching her belly. "I'm perfectly capable of continuing my duties for the clan! This doesn't change-"

"Doesn't change? Haruki, you've only barely just exited your teenage years, yet here you are, pregnant. Out of wedlock, and to a man from another clan! What kind of example are you setting for your sisters?"

"I'm not trying to set an example!" retorted Haruki, tears stinging her eyes as her voice rose to a yell. "Hinata and Hanabi both have their own futures ahead of them- you can't continue to measure their successes against mine! They both have their own potential, in their own ways- are you going to kick me out of the family for doing one thing you don't approve of? My whole life, I've dedicated myself to reaching your expectations, and serving this clan- are you going to tell me it was all a waste? It all meant nothing?"

"Haruki, I don't have the energy to face you right now," spat Hiashi, rising to his feet. "Gather your things and leave this house immediately. Don't make any noise, and don't wake your sisters."

Without another word to Haruki or Shisui, Hiashi stormed out of the dining room and up the stairs, leaving his daughter shaking in resentment at his words.

"Haru-chan-"

Haruki threw her hand up in the air, silencing Shisui.

"Come help me take my things," she said coldly, staring hatefully at the space her father had just vacated. "Since I'm obviously no longer welcome here."

"Look, Haru-chan, maybe he just needs some-"

"Shisui. Please? Let's get packing."

"Y-yes, Haru-chan."