Crunch Time

"... the decision is entirely up to you."

Shisui frowned as he sat across from the Hokage, mere weeks after Riku and Sora were born.

While Shisui had been recuperating and recovering from his grievous bodily injuries, other shinobi- namely so, Hatake Kakashi and Sarutobi Asuma- had been tasked with locating the traitor's whereabouts, and if possible, the Uchiha's missing eye as well. While they had successfully captured and detained the traitor, the location of Shisui's eye remained a mystery.

"Where is she?" asked Shisui carefully, mulling over his options as he fidgeted with his Konoha forehead protector.

"Right now, under interrogation. With the limited information we've already extracted from her, we can safely assume that her boss operates within the Land of Fire. Like I said before, the decision is completely up to you. Should you wish to pursue this leader, I'll make sure to send you with adequate backup to confront the thief. If not, that's fine too. I understand how difficult this decision must be for you, considering you now have your family to worry about. It's up to you whether or not you'd like to go ahead with the search."

Shisui bit his lip, an ongoing debate happening in his mind.

"With all due respect, Hokage-sama... I'll have to think about it," murmured the Uchiha, his wife and children at the center of his thoughts. "Please let me talk to Haruki first. I'll be able to answer you by tonight."

"Very well. Speaking of Haruki-chan, how is she? And the twins? Has Masumi adapted to being an older brother yet?"

Shisui chuckled at Minato's words, Masumi's behaviour reminding him of how Haruki had told him she had reacted to Hinata's birth as a child.

As childish as it sounds, I was angry about Hinata being born. The same could be said for Masumi, and the birth of his twin brothers. He was anything but happy about their presence in their home.

"Actually, he hasn't," laughed Shisui, leaning back in his seat with his arms crossed. "He's as jealous as any two year old can be."

"That's understandable. Well, I won't hold you back any longer. I look forward to hearing back from you tonight."

"Understood."

***

"Otou-san!"

Shisui smiled and received Masumi with open arms as his eldest son came darting towards him, his arms outstretched as he greeted his father.

"Hey, buddy!" said Shisui as he picked up the little boy, holding him safely in his arms as he stepped ino the house. "Where's okaa-san, huh?"

Shisui walked into the living room and saw Haruki sitting with the twins' makeshift crib, breastfeeding one of them as the other slept soundly in his bed.

"How was the meeting with the Hokage?" asked Haruki in a hushed voice, looking at her husband as he sat beside her on the couch.

"It was... good."

"What did he want to see you about?"

"Otou-san," whined Masumi, slapping his hands over both of Shisui's cheeks as he thought of how to explain to Haruki what the Hokage had relayed to him.

"Um, the lady who took off with my eye," said Shisui with a weak smile, holding Masumi at bay.

"Oh? What did he say?"

As Haruki spoke, Shisui couldn't help but look at her, and each of their children as he tried to come up with the right words to say.

"Well, she's been apprehended and interrogated, for a start."

"About time! Did they find your eye?"

"... no."

"Well, I hope they do soon," frowned Haruki, detaching the twin from her breast and pulling her shirt back down. "In the wrong hands, your eye is far too powerful for its own good."

"Yeah, yeah." Shisui trailed off, a blank look on his face. "Actually, I just remembered, I forgot to tell the Hokage something. I'll be right back. Come on, Masumi, let's go!"

Masumi cheered as Shisui stood up, still holding onto his son as he leaned down and kissed Haruki on the cheek.

"We'll be back soon," he said with a nod, hoisting Masumi onto his hip as he peered into the crib in front of Haruki. "I sound like a terrible father, but who's the one sleeping?"

"That would be Riku," chuckled Haruki, who was in the process of burping Sora over her shoulder. "Their eyes were open before, and it was definitely Riku."

"The Uchiha with the Hyūga eyes," sang Shisui as he spun around with Masumi, smiling brightly at his son's laughter. Although Sora and Riku shared similar features, with matching jet black hair and fair skin, they could be told apart from their eyes. While Sora had inherited Shisui's dark eyes, Riku had inherited his mother's pale lavender ones; the only child so far. "The Uchiha with the Byakugan!"

"It doesn't necessarily mean he's inherited the Byakugan," pointed out Haruki, rubbing Sora on the back as she looked up at her husband. "We'll find out later."

"You're right, you're right. Anyway, we better head off so we can make it back in time to make dinner. Right, Masumi?"

"Right!"

"Okaa-san's got you beat, she's already headed down to the supermarket to do the shopping for tonight's dinner," chuckled Haruki, watching as Shisui made his way towards the front door with Masumi in tow. "See you two soon!"

"Come on, Masumi- grab your shoes!"

As Shisui stepped into his own sandals, he reached for Masumi's pair in the shelf and passed them down.

"No, they're on the wrong feet," pointed out Shisui, bending down and fixing his son's shoes. "There we go. Ready?"

As Shisui opened the door for Masumi, he was certain he was making the right decision.

He could live without his eye.

But his family couldn't live without him.