Family Gathering

"Come on, Sasuke. You did well."

Shisui lounged lazily under a tree as he watched Itachi and Sasuke sparring before him, analysing Sasuke's strengths and weaknesses as he was put up against his older brother.

For a ten year old, Sasuke had fared extremely well against his much more experienced brother. With a huff, he trudged over to Shisui's side and took a seat, followed shortly after by Itachi after he had resheathed his katana.

"Why do you think our parents suddenly wanted to have dinner together?" asked Sasuke as he leaned against the tree trunk, letting out a deep sigh.

"You heard okaa-san. It's the first time all three of us have been home at once. Her and Namiko-baa are best friends."

"But wouldn't Shisui prefer spending time with his girlfriend?"

Shisui spluttered indignantly as the two brothers looked up at him with looks of curiosity written all over their faces.

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

"Well, you'd rather be with Haruki-nee than us, wouldn't you?" asked Sasuke, earning a sigh from his older brother.

"Sasuke, you don't just ask people things like that," said Itachi grimly, bowing his head apologetically at Shisui on behalf of his younger brother. "Sorry, nii-chan."

"I like spending time with you guys too!" retorted Shisui, trying to think of the last time he had hung out with both Sasuke and Itachi. "But everyone's always so busy, it's not that easy."

"You always have time for Haruki-nee, though."

Shisui sighed, knowing that Sasuke wasn't going to let the topic go.

"What's wrong with spending time with Haruki, Sasuke?"

"I mean... you two don't even do anything," started Sasuke, a contemplative look on his face. "All you do is walk and talk."

"Hey, we train together sometimes!"

"Sasuke," said Itachi warningly, not knowing where his brother's sudden interest in Shisui's love life had come from. "Drop it."

"No, it's fine," insisted Shisui, not wanting to cause a rift. "It was a valid question."

"Shisui-nii, are you going to ask Haruki-nee to marry you one day?"

Itachi facepalmed at Sasuke's direct question.

"Why do you ask?" asked Shisui slowly, wondering where the conversation was heading.

"I've heard about her from Hinata. Hinata told me Haruki-nee is really important to her family, and she's meant to be the next leader or something. But if you marry her, doesn't she join our clan? What happens to her family afterwards if they don't have their leader?"

Shisui exchanged a look of surprise with Itachi; neither of them had been expecting Sasuke, of all people, to bring up such a fear.

"Well, we haven't thought about it," said Shisui, scratching the back of his head. "We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Is that why you're prying?"

"... I guess."

As the three Uchiha sat in silence, a voice called out for them from Sasuke and Itachi's home.

"Boys! Dinner time!"

"Coming!"