Level Up

"... otou-san."

As Shisui put Masumi and Mamoru to bed one night, the young Uchiha quietly called out to his father as he was tucking Mamoru in.

"Yes, Sumi?" asked Shisui softly, bending down and kissing an already sleeping Mamoru on the forehead. With that, he trudged back to his eldest son's bed and sat on the edge, placing a hand on his forehead. "What's up?"

"Can you... teach me more?"

"More what?"

"Ninjutsu?"

Shisui sighed, patting Masumi on the cheek.

"I've already risked a lot by teaching you those other things, Sumi," said Shisui apologetically. "You know your okaa-san doesn't want me teaching you too much. Isn't being able to walk on water and making clones good enough? You're only five years old. There's plenty of time for you to learn more advanced things in the future."

Masumi pouted and turned in bed, pulling the blanket over his head.

"I don't like my class," whimpered the young boy, making his father raise an eyebrow. "They're mean to me when okaa-san isn't there."

"Have you told okaa-san?"

"No. I don't want okaa-san to hurt them."

Shisui snorted at Masumi's reasoning for not informing his mother about his difficulties during class, throwing his head back as he laughed.

"Aren't you afraid of me hurting them?"

"You don't know them."

"I could ask okaa-san about who's in your class and find them myself."

"... I didn't think about that."

With a chuckle, Shisui leaned down so that he was laying beside Masumi's curled up figure, poking his arm through the sheets.

"I won't hurt anyone," reassured Shisui. "But I'm not happy hearing that your classmates are mean to you. Can I tell okaa-san about it?"

"No!" Masumi threw off his blanket and sat up, looking at Shisui with wide eyes. "They'll just get even meaner to me!"

"Okay, okay, I won't tell okaa-san," said Shisui comfortingly, urging Masumi to lie back down. "What do you want to learn?"

"Something that will let me move classes," said Masumi glumly, sliding back into bed with a forlorn look.

"Well, considering you can already do things required for genin to graduate, I'm surprised you haven't been moved to the sixth grade class already," murmured Shisui, playing with Masumi's soft, silky tresses as he mulled over his thoughts. "Hmm. Alright. I'll teach you a few more things, but you can't tell anyone about it. Okay? Okaa-san wouldn't like it if she knew you were learning things outside of school."

"I know."

"Alright. Get some sleep now, Sumi." Brushing Masumi's hair out of his face, Shisui leaned down and kissed him on the cheek. "Make sure you get up bright and early for school tomorrow, okay?"

"Yes, otou-san. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Sumi. I love you."

As Shisui stood up and got out of Masumi's bed, he gave his son a tiny wave before quietly exiting the room and heading back up to his and Haruki's room.

"Finally, some peace and quiet." Shisui groaned as he shut the door behind him, before taking a few steps forward and launching himself onto the bed beside Haruki, who was sitting upright with her back against their headboard.

"The boys went to sleep with no problems?" she asked, turning to look at her exhausted husband.

"Yup. How are you feeling, my love?"

"Tired as ever. A couple more months left- we can do it."

"You're doing amazing, Haru-chan. I love you."

Haruki smiled as Shisui pouted at her from his position below, gently poking him on the cheek.

"I love you too, Shisui."