Chapter Six - Marshall

Written by Lolalittlelegs

Peace washes over me the minute I realise she's not at all mad at me for just turning up out of the blue, I mean she only said she couldn't come to Detroit not that I couldn't come to her. Guess I forgot to ask.

"So as surprises go Mysterious girl, is this not the best one you've had today!"

Rose scoffs loudly beside me but I see a hint of a blush there so I'll take that as a good sign "Sure Ryan" she pats my knee in a patronising gesture, her attention fixed firmly on the game, my ego takes a knock but I'm fairly sure I can come back from it

"Well they say if you can't take the mountain to Mohammed, then you should take the mountain to Tennessee!" I say it like I'm good but Rose looks at me, eyebrows knitted together in confusion and giving me a chance to give her pale face a once over for the first time today. She looks like she's had a rough week, dark circles under her eyes, her eyes look swollen like she's been crying a lot and I'm glad I came.
Rose grabs at my arm bursting out laughing really loudly, the crowd around us turning to look in our direction and I try to hide my face as Rose carries on laughing at me, eventually she stops and takes three deep breaths
"Oh god Mar.... er Ryan that's exactly what I needed! I'm fairly sure that's not how that ancient proverb goes though by the way" wiping tears of laughter from her cheeks she turns her full attention back to the game and I pout for a bit.

Childishly unhappy at being ignored.

"What's the name of this team again?" I ask my voice sounding grumpy
"Devils" she mutters engrossed again, this chick takes her football really seriously, I like that in a woman.
While she watches my eyes take in the green jersey she's wearing, it's on the small side so I get to watch her boobs jiggle craftily. Friend or not, boobs is boobs!

She makes me jump when she leaps up out of her seat and shouts obscenities at a player on the opposing team "Fuck that's quite the potty mouth you've got girl" she mutters fuck under her breath at being caught out "Football brings out the devil in me" she shrugs her shoulders, grinning at me. I lean over to her ear when she's back in the game "I wanna play with the devil" I whisper quietly and I know she hears me because she shivers and if she grits her teeth any harder they'll all break off.

"Yo! So which one is your brother?" I watch the play in front of me and actually her team are really quite good, she extends a finger towards one of the players in front of us "The running back?" I ask her, he's caught my eye a couple of times, he's good.
"Yes that's my little brother Tristan, he's great isn't he!" her pride in him is evident in the way she brightens up when I ask about him, she becomes animated as she tells me about all of the football accolades he has won and how good he is at school. I smile as I listen watching him while Rose chatters happily away next to me.

"You buying me dinner after Ryan?" she asks me, I stare ahead at the game deliberating taking my time to answer "Nah, I only came to watch the game..... I can stretch to a hot dog and a coke if you want!" I'm nonchalant as I speak, sat far back on my seat, legs spread until I feel a sharp jab to my ribs "Fuck, that hurt" I glare at Rose who giggles at me. I rub my ribs feeling slightly salty "You're a mean friend" I tell her straight.

Rose leans against my shoulder, her hair blows into my face and her scent is something that has me coming back for more, leaning my head down on hers I inhale deeply. Her arm wraps around mine a she pulls away looking up at me "I'm glad you came, I've had a really shitty week" she whispers, I nod my head in understanding, mine has been fucked up too, although I suspect hers has nothing to do with recording an album when you can't write for shit at the moment. She leans back into me and we watch the rest of the game in comfortable silence.

After the game we wait until most of the people in the stand leave "Do you want to come meet my brother?" she asks shyly "You don't have to if you don't want to, I mean he'll recognise you but my parents probably won't" she babbles away quickly not leaving any gaps in her speech for breathing and it makes me chuckle when she finally red faced shuts up "Rose! Calm down I'd love to meet him but you should probably call me Marshall otherwise it's gonna get weird" she grabs my arm and half drags me over to her family.

Her jeans are skinny and I notice Rose has the most perfect ass.

Friends Marshall.

I am but a man though and I can appreciate the tight ass and jiggling boobs.

We arrive in front of her folks, her brother is talking to her parents still dressed in his kit but he looks up and does a double take as he recognises me, he makes a face at Rose and she sticks her tongue out at him "Mom, Dad and Tristan this is my friend Marshall he's come to visit for........" she has that confused look again

"Actually how long are you here?" she directs the question to me "I fly back tomorrow morning, just a flying visit!" I smile at her parents and I finish Rose's forgotten introductions.
Her parents and brother seem like good people "Where are you staying Marshall?" her mom asks, she sounds hopeful like she thinks Rose and I might be hooking up "I'm staying at the Carnegie ma'am" I need to get us out of here before this gets awkward an idea pops into my head "You guys mind if I steal Rose for the evening" Rose balks beside me while her mother had to stop herself from jumping for joy "Not at all Marshall, you two go have a great evening" She practically pushes the pair of us away from her.

I smile as I say goodbye to her parents and address her brother "Great to meet you Tristan, you played a great game out there. I hope I get to see you play again" Tristan takes my offered hand in his gripping mine tightly, this guy could kill me he's bigger than me, he pulls me in for a hug and quietly tells me "Take good care of my sister" I pull away nodding at him.
He didn't threaten me outwardly but I felt it, I'm glad Rose has someone like him looking out for her, she kisses his cheek and I pull her away towards the car park

"You have a car here?" She pants out yes as I hurry her along, she stops dead "Where's the fire Marshall? My legs are shorter than yours so stop dragging me" I let go of her holding my hands up in front of me, she rolls her eyes and walks past me "Come on Marshall, keep up old man" She taunts me walking faster towards her car "You're pretty savage today Rose" she turns and winks at me.

She's pretty cute when she's being playful but it's like she catches herself having fun at times and stops it in its tracks. For some reason she can't let herself go and just enjoy herself. I catch her up beside her car, it's been awhile since I've been in a car this tiny but I fold myself up and manage to squeeze in the passenger seat beside her "Where too Mathers?"
I don't answer I've a question to ask myself "Why have you had such a shitty week?" Before I can stop myself I reach over and stroke her hair, it feels soft and silky between my fingers, I pull away when I realise what I'm doing.

She looks down playing with her wedding ring again "It's just been the kind of week where you take one step forward and five steps back you know, it's just a step back that's all" I'm not convinced by her answer, she's grief stricken. I've been there and I know the signs. I just wish she could open up to me but It's still early days for our fledgling friendship and hopefully one day she'll feel like she can tell me but I'm not the most patient of people

"So are you feeding me or am I dropping you off at the hotel so I can go get a big greasy burger somewhere?" I think for a moment.

"This burger you speak of, why don't you go get us some goodies and come eat it at the hotel with me" She spent as she drives out of the car park "In your room?" anxiety laces her voice as she asks me "Yes my room, we can eat crap, watch a god awful movie, your choice and that's it"

She gives me a sideways glance "Umm yeah....ok" she answers eventually.

"Rose my body isn't on offer here, I'm trusting you not to try it on with me. Can you keep your hands to yourself?" She shrieks with laughter at my words, the noise is music to me ears.

"You're such a dick Marshall."