Part 39 - Rose

Written by ehux02

I am fuming. Did he really just say that to me and walk away? The tears running down my cheeks are tears of pure anger.  Choose him over my family!? I should not have to choose.

I've never seen that side of Marshall. He went from sweet and caring to a major ass hat in 0 seconds.

I couldn't go back in the room with my parents. I know they heard. The whole damn hospital probably heard him yell at me. I decide to go get some air. The whole walk I am fuming. He'll send the jet? Fuck him. Like hell am I getting on his jet.  Seriously, I'm done.  First, he ghosts me for over a week because of something my parents said. Now, he is mad because I want to help my dad recover! I just asked for 2 months. What is 2 months compared to the 7 or so months we've known each other. Why am I moving to Detroit after only 7 months anyway? I've walked a path into the sidewalk in front of the hospital. He said he loved me. He said he would be patient with me. Just this morning he said he wouldn’t let me go.  Again, FUCK HIM!

I see a bench and go to sit on it. I have to calm down before I go back in there.

Sometime later, I make my way back toward my dad’s room. When I go in he is asleep, and my mom is watching the tv. I don’t immediately see Tristan, but then he walks in the room behind me. I walk over to sit next to my mom and she just looks at me with her eyes full of pity, “Is everything okay?”  I nod my head, but my mom isn’t accepting that, “We heard him raise his voice to you. What’s going on?”

I can’t let my mom know the specifics. I haven’t even told her my plans to stay yet.
“Nothing mom. Just a disagreement. We are both tired so our tempers ran high. He left to cool off.” She seems to accept that answer and she leans over to lay her head next to my dad.

“Mom, go home and get some rest. We’ll call you if you are needed. Dad is probably going to sleep most of the day anyway.”

She let out a deep sigh, “I guess I’ll go home for awhile” About that time my brother Dane enters the room. “Dane, will you drive me home? I think I’m too tired for driving right now.”  Dane agrees and shortly after they leave.

Tristan and I decide to go to the cafeteria to eat. While we are sitting, he starts to grill me.

“So that wasn’t a small disagreement. He left didn’t he?”

“I assume so. He didn’t really say.”

“What happened?”

“He issued me an ultimatum.”

Tristan looked at me like I'd grown 2 heads.

I rolled my eyes, “It was either you all or him. He said he would send his jet in 2 weeks and if I didn’t get on it he'd know I chose y’all.”

“HE WHAT!?”

“Shhh.. people are looking!”

I could see Tristan was angry and he didn’t speak for several minutes. I sat thinking about Marshall. Wondering what he was doing. If he was kicking his ass right about now. But then I remembered the look in his eyes. He looked at me as if I was beneath him and I was pissed all over again.

“Do you think he meant it?” Tristan asked me very quietly.

“It doesn’t really matter now does it? He can’t just issue ultimatums and treat me like dirt every time I do something he doesn’t like.’

“I can take care of them so you can move. I know you want to.”

“Absolutely not, Tris. For one, you, mom and especially dad held me down for over a year. You are so close to making your dreams come true. You can help take care of them for the next month, but then you're going to college. No exceptions,”

“Rose—“

“No, I don’t want to hear it. You are going to college.”

“What about Marshall?”

“What about him? The second he asked me to choose, our fate was sealed.”

“You don’t mean that.”

“At this moment, I do.”

“What if he calls you tomorrow and regrets everything?”

“We’ll see when it happens. If he were to call now, he wouldn’t like me very much at all.”

“Fair enough. I still can’t believe he did this. He’s crazy about you.”

“Or so I thought. I love him. I do. But I can’t be with someone who doesn’t understand how much you guys mean to me. I didn’t say I was never moving. I just asked for time.”
Now, I’m just starting to hurt. I feel betrayed. I can feel the tears on my cheeks.

“Don’t cry, sis. Please. I like Marshall.  I don’t wanna have to kick his ass.” His comment makes me giggle. “Lets just go see if dad’s awake.”

We make it back to my dad’s room and see that he’s awake. I rush over to his bedside and he just pulls me down to hug him. “Are you okay, Rosie?”

“Yes, daddy. I’m fine.”

“I heard your little spat earlier. Did he leave?”

“Yeah, he left to cool off for a bit. We’ll be fine.” I’m afraid I can’t quiet my dad as easily as I can my mom. He gives me a look that says he isn’t letting this go. That and he can see the tears brimming my eyes again. Damn, it.

“Now, Rosie. Tell me what happened.”

So I tell him the entire story. I expected him to be angry and try to tell me to move to Detroit, but all he says is, “I guess I know what you chose.”

“Dad, there is no choice. Anyone that asks me to choose doesn’t get to stick around.”

My dad just laughed and I could tell he was sleepy again so I stopped talking. Tomorrow, when he isn’t as sedated, he may have stronger feelings about my argument with Marshall, but for now I’m just glad he didn’t get worked up.

I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket and I pull it out just in time to see the missed call icon pop up. 1 missed call from Marshall…