Part 47 -Rose

Written by ehux02

I cannot even believe it has already been a year since our trip to the Maldives and my move to Detroit. Time flies when you’re having this much fun. I love every second of my life here and, while I miss my family in Tennessee, Detroit is home now. Living my life with Marshall is the most exhilarating thing I’ve ever done. 
Officially, I work for The Marshall Mathers foundation as Paul and Marshall’s fill in. Unofficially, the job title was created to help free up Paul and Marshall’s time spent with the foundation.  In reality, I don't do that much. The foundation practically runs itself and the full time employees have things managed without Marshall and Paul. The two of them have assembled a great team that needs little to no help. I attend a few meetings a week, monitor emails, and answer their phone calls. When I am deeply involved in situations at the foundation, I love it. It is truly amazing to see the things that are accomplished and the public doesn’t know much about it. How anyone ever questions Marshall’s character, is beyond me.  Actions speak louder than words, but people tend to forget that when they listen to his albums.

Other than that, I spend most of my days in Marshall’s (now mine) home office helping with some of the accounting for the foundation. Their only vacancy is in accounting. They have two people doing the job of three people. I brought it up to Paul, but it seems that his plan all along was to use me for that role as needed. I can’t commit to it too much because I am expected to travel when Marshall does, but I try to ease the burden as much as possible.  At first, I really hated this arrangement, I wanted to earn my keep and maintain my independence. I wanted to find a job on my own without Paul and Marshall’s help. However, within two months of living in Detroit, I understood why Marshall asked Paul to make sure my job was flexible. On more than one occasion, Marshall would get a call that he needed to be in New York or LA the next day, and he would have to leave immediately. If I didn’t work for the foundation, I wouldn’t be able to just leave with him and that was something we both wanted.

To date, he has only made one trip without me and that was last week. He flew to LA to meet with Dre, but Paul asked me to stay to help him with some things and get him caught up at the foundation. Much to my surprise, Marshall didn't object to my staying behind.  Marshall was only gone for one night, which was also odd. Dre usually keeps him a day or two longer than expected, but Marshall just told me it was a quick trip and he, “got what he needed.” 

Other than my part time work at the foundation, I spent a lot of time with Hailie while Marshall is working. At first, I thought it was strange she was coming around so much. It was almost as if she was babysitting me, maybe she was early on, but we quickly became friends. We are so close in age that we have a lot in common. I spend a considerable amount of time with Whitney and Alaina as well, but they are busy with their own lives and careers. Hailie is a successful Influencer, mostly Instagram some YouTube, so she makes her own schedule and lives by her own rules.

The past few days leading up to my birthday, I reflected on the past two years. In the midst of the trials and heartaches I faced, I found strength I never thought I had. I spent a lot of time angry, hurt, and questioning my own existence, but I have come to realize I am still here for a reason. They say hindsight is 20/20 and I believe that wholeheartedly now. Because in hindsight, I can see that my true pain was the loneliness I felt.  It was bitter, cold, and dark. I spent almost a year wishing I were dead. My happiness was gone and I was certain I would never feel good again.  Sure, I had my parents and my brother doing their best to help me, but they were hurting too. Then along came Marshall, I wasn’t supposed to be in Nashville, let alone in a bar. He wasn’t meant to be in that bar either, but by chance we were there at the same time. From the moment, he said, “Hey, I’m Ryan,” he slowly filled the void and ache of loneliness in my heart.

His smart-ass attitude would have turned others away, but it drew me in.  He was persistent too. What he kept calling friendship, I now realize was his way of saying he was taking things slow. He never expected anything of me. He never asked me to be something I wasn’t. He never assumed my grief would just vanish because of him. He never asked to take anyone’s place. From our first lunch, he was exactly what I needed him to be the entire time. He was my best friend when I needed a friend and then we fell in love. A few times, I found myself questioning it all and came so close to losing him, but the universe had other plans for us. He is my soul mate and I will forever be thankful for that Smokey costume and the man inside of it who refused to give up on me.

When the loneliness subsided, the rest of the grief eased too. I still have days that I miss my son and his father, but I have come to terms with it. They were not meant for this world.

Today is my 32nd birthday and I expected to spend the day being lazy, but Hailie called this morning insisting that I go shopping with her. So, we are at the mall. I am following Hailie around while we chat and joke.  We are in some store and my arms are full of shopping bags. All, but one, of the bags are Hailie’s. This is how it always is when we go shopping and I love it.

“Rose, I feel awful. It’s your birthday and we haven’t bought anything for you!”

“Not true!” I exclaim as I hold up my one and only bag, “I bought this perfume.”

“Doesn’t count. That’s the perfume you always wear so you basically completed an errand.” She rolls her eyes at me as she says the last part causing us to both laugh and draw attention from others in the store.

Hailie grabs my hand dragging me out of the store, before someone notices her, and toward the next store. We have been out many times without being noticed. Marshall and I have been too. They have this lifestyle figured out. As we walk into an H&M clothing store Hailie speaks at me with a stern tone, “Now, you have to buy something in here and hurry it up. I have somewhere to be this afternoon.”

I roll my eyes at her and walk off to spend half an hour picking through clothes that I do not want.  I eye Hailie every now and then with another armful of clothes. Silently praying she is buying those for her, and not expecting me to want them.
I am near the point of just picking something of the rack so we can leave when Hailie bounces up with the cutest red dress.  Normally, our clothing taste is not similar but this dress is gorgeous. She shoves it toward me demanding that I try it on.

Without argument, I take the dress from her and head toward the dressing room. I quickly change into it. The dress is lace from the waist up, V-neck, the sleeves are ¾ and lace, and the skirt of the dress is silk fabric that flares out and lands mid-thigh.  It is shorter than I would normally like and not normally something I would pick for myself, but I feel amazing in it.

After admiring it for a few minutes, I decide to buy it and change back into my jeans and t-shirt. I walk out and see Hailie outside the store on the phone. Her bags already in hand so she must have paid already.  After I pay for the dress and join Hailie outside, I ask if she is ready for lunch but she insists she isn’t hungry and decides it’s time for us to head home. She is in a hurry for something, I attempt to tease her about having a date, and she mumbles, “Something like that.” 

When we are in the car and situated, Hailie puts the car in gear but suddenly, stops and turns towards me.  “Happy birthday. Thank you for loving my dad…. and us…..you are the best.”

I pull her into a hug with tears filling my eyes, “No, Hailie you and your sisters are the best. Thank you for letting me love y’all.”

Silence fills the car; she is uncomfortable with expressing emotions. Wonder where she gets that?

After a few moments she breaks the silence, “You have to find an opportunity to wear that dress soon.” I nod and her face lights up, “I know! Wear it today. It’s your birthday, dress fancy.”

I laugh at her impatient pleading.

“Don’t worry. I’ll get to wear it soon. If I have to find my own reason!”

Before I know it, we are pulling up to the house. I start to say my goodbyes to Hailie and grab my things, but she turns the car off and lets me know she’s coming in. Something is up; Hailie was in a rush for the last half an hour now she’s coming in?

“Thought you had somewhere to go.”

“I do. I wanna say hi to dad real quick and make sure he hears about that dress.”

Yeah, okay. I grab my two bags from the back of Hailie’s car. As I make my way toward the house, I see she is waiting for me at the door. What the hell? “I’m sure the door is unlocked. Your dad rarely locks it during the day.” She smirks at me, looking just like Marshall, “Nope, it’s locked.”  I know she has a key. Annoyed, I pull my key from my bag and reach to unlock the door. Only to realize, it is already unlocked. Before I can open my mouth, Hailie pushes the door open. We walk in and I just lay my stuff by the door. “Want something to drink before you go, Hails?”  I stumble and nearly fall on my face as I walk into the kitchen causing Hailie to erupt into laughter. “Nothing for me, but are you sure you haven’t been drinking.”

Before I have a chance to respond, I notice the living room leading outside is decorated with purple and white streamers and a huge banner reading, ‘Happy Birthday, Rose’ is hanging just above the door. I turn to glare at Hailie. She smiles as her cheeks flush red. She knows something.  She pushes me toward the patio and I hear, “Surprise!” I feel the embarrassment wash over me as I try to turn, but Hailie pushes me out the door. My parents are here, Tristan, Nate and Ashley, Denaun and his girl of the week, and Royce with his wife.

After I hugged everyone and thanked Marshall for the surprise, I am caught up in conversation as I make my way toward the food. I sit next to Hailie and see she is scarfing food down too. “So this is why we couldn’t get lunch an hour ago?” She nods her head in reply and I laugh. After she swallows she replies, “I was so hungry too! I knew we were eating here, but I couldn’t tell! Oh and I told dad about that dress. Hopefully, he will take you some where nice.” I nod my head knowing that most likely the first time Marshall sees that dress will be a private showing.

After I eat, I begin looking for Marshall. He was headed toward his office a few minutes ago. Can’t Paul let him have a few hours? Just as I’m about to walk down the hallway, Alaina stops me and wishes me a happy birthday. She immediately starts making small talk and I can tell she is nervous about something, “You okay, Lainie?”

“Yeah, it’s just hot out there don’t you think.” 

“Uhh..” I stutter a bit confused by her statement, “We were just outside and it’s June. Yeah, it’s a little warm. Are you sure you’re okay? Do you need some water or something?” She shakes her head and nods toward someone behind me.

I turn and see Marshall as he pulls me out of the living room and back outside, he says something to me but I didn’t catch it.  I immediately notice the anxiety washing over him. I smile at him in an attempt to calm him and I start to speak but I am silenced as I watch him drop to one knee. I feel the tears filling my eye and I know there is not stopping them. Is he doing this or am I dreaming? The tears in his eyes are both beautiful and crushing, but the smile on his face puts me at ease. I noticed his grip tighten on my hand and I’m not sure who is shaking more him or me.

I see a box out of the corner of my eye, but I can’t take my eyes off his to look.  His voice is soft yet strong as he speaks the most beautiful words I have ever heard.

“Rose, when I look in your eyes I get a very peaceful feeling, with you everything seems beautiful. I promise that I will be by your side in any condition and that I’ll support you through any ups and downs you may face, we’ll face them together baby.
You make my life wonderful each and everyday, you make it worth living.
I love you for that Rose, forever won’t be long enough for me Rose. If I could give you one gift, it would be the ability to see you through my eyes, only then would you know how special you are to me
Will you marry me Rose?“

I can’t seem to find my voice as I choke on the words I’m trying to say. Did he just ask me to marry him? The past couple of years rush through my mind. The amazing, incredible, and sometimes painful ride I’ve been on since meeting Marshall was leading me here, to the rest of my life and I couldn’t have predicted this.  I look around the room at my family and his. Somehow, they have all become one. This is it. The family I have always wanted. 
Marshall clearing his throat pulled me from my thoughts and I realized how anxious he is looking as he waits for my answer.

“Yes, Marshall. Yes, a thousand times over. I will marry you!”

The crowd erupts in cheers as Marshall jumps up, and with tears streaming down both of our faces, he kisses me passionately. The kiss makes me feel like we are the only two in the world as I try to put all the love I have for him into it.   He pulls away from me and places the ring on my finger. It is stunning, the bands look like stems and the diamond is set into the middle of rose petals with small stones decorating them.  He smirks, “For my Rose.”

I feel a wonderful sense of peace and love

I feel a wonderful sense of peace and love. The man I love looking at me as if I'm the only woman in the world and he wants to marry me.  The pain, the hurt, the loneliness, I would feel all of that again, if it led me here.
If it led me, home.

The end.

Thank you for all the comments, votes, and love shown to Tennessee Rose.  I hope everyone enjoyed Rose as much as I enjoyed writing her. This is the first story I have ever written and I would have never gotten the courage to write the first word if it wasn’t for @lolalittlelegs. Thank you, @lolalittlelegs, for  encouragement when I didn’t think I could do it, patience when I was being hard on myself, but most of all for the friendship that has developed outside of this story! It has been so much fun!

Rose is near and dear to my heart and, as much as I hate for this is the end, it is time to let Rose have her happily ever after.