Part 38 - Marshall

Written by Lolalittlelegs

As I parked up and waited for the food I’d ordered, I took a moment to feel the relief of Rose being physically ok. When Tristan had called me earlier today, I couldn’t make out a single word he was saying he was so upset but I heard him say ‘Rose’ and that was enough to get me on the jet an hour later, my knees nearly gave way at the hospital when she answered Tristan’s phone, hearing her voice nearly sent me into a tailspin but the minute I had her in my arms I felt safe. Selfish to think of myself at such a time but I honestly didn’t have a clue what the hell was happening.

I felt bad for all of them, the room was heavy and thick with grief and worry. Liv and her husband hadn’t come to the hospital and that made me even angrier with her than I already was.
Dave was a decent man, a gentleman and in the time I’d come to know him, I’d grown really fond of him, I loved the way he referred to me as son, it made me feel like I belonged to their family and I was grateful for them letting me in when in reality my relationship with Rose had caused them worry and now sadness that she was leaving to be with me.

A knock on Rose’s car window broke my reminiscing  and I was back on my way back to the hospital within seconds and Tristan who wasn’t hungry and couldn’t eat was now tucking into some breakfast. Rose sat holding her mom’s hand and staring off into space, Christine thanked me as I handed out food and coffee to everybody, I needed to keep occupied because I could easily go into freeing too much over Rose right now and she didn’t need to deal with me on top of her dad. One thing was for certain though Rose wouldn’t be moving to Detroit this weekend, I’d waited so long for this that I could wait another week or two, I didn’t mind that so much.

‘Hey, how ya doing?” I ask Rose quietly trying not to disturb the other people in the room she sighs before leaning her head on my shoulder “Hanging in there, just about” she looks up at me with big watery eyes and I want to protect her so much from all of this and the pain and confusion she must be feeling but I can’t take it away for her, I can however hold her hand and comfort her as best that I can.

Pulling her over into my lap I wrap my arms around her tightly “Promise me, no matter what Marshall that you won’t let go of me baby” she whispers against my ear. Turning and facing her I promise her that no matter what I will always be here for her.

“Shitty things keep happening to us and I don’t understand what my family has done to deserve it, I really don’t” she cries on my shoulder while I whisper soft words of comfort until she eventually tired out from the emotions of the day falls asleep in my arms, Her older brother Dane I think comes over with his jacket and covers her over, I smile at him in appreciation.

“You’ve been so good for her Marshall, thank you for being here for her now” he’s ctually a really good guy too, reminds me of Dave quite a lot actually. “Thank you for saying that, she’s had a pretty good effect on me too, I’m glad we found each other” I kiss the top of her head as she sleeps, she’s not sleeping peacefully though, I watch  her eyelids twitching furiously as she grips and ungrips my hoodie, she’s not having a good dream.
“Marshall after she gets to see her dad could you take her and Tristan back to our house, they need to sleep” Christine asks me, she sounds exhausted herself but I agree to take them home and stay with them “You’ll call if I need to bring them back, Rose would never forgive if I dragged her away and something bad happened” I splutter out quickly suddenly conscious of that fact she would blame me if anything happened to her dad while if I was the one who insisted she go home to rest.

“Of course I will Marshall, can you give this to her to bring us some things from home tomorrow, she does not need to rush back with this stuff, tomorrow after she’s rested would be good for me” I nod understanding what she’s saying and put the note carefully in my pocket to give to Rose at her parents house.

The nurse comes in the room and says that Dave is ready for visitors, a quick visit she stresses to them all, Rose stirs in my arms and she wakes up smiling, she forgets where she is for a second but the frown soon returns to her face as she gets up from me and looks at everybody leaving the room “What’s happened ?” she cries out, suddenly panicked. “Nothing baby, you can go and visit with your dad fro a few minutes, I’ll wait here for you and then I’m taking you and Tris back to your mom’s” she frowns at my comment. “But I can’t leave my mom” she cries. “It’s your mom that insisting on it baby, don’t stress her out now just do what makes her feel better and ultimately You’ll feel better with some rest, she’ll call if we need to come back.” I can tell she wants to argue with me but she decides against it in the end and walks out to go see her dad.

An hour later and I’m letting the three of us into her parents house, Tristan stumbles off to his bedroom, he’s so tired he can barely keep his eyes open. I check on him while Rose insists on having a shower. I walk back into her room and finding it empty carry on into her bathroom, I find her sat on the floor in her shower, the water must be too hot because the amount of steam in the room is unbearable, shedding my clothes quickly I walk in and join her, the water is fucking scolding hot and I turn the temperature down a couple of notches before picking her up, she’s sobbing her heart out and I can’t do anything but sit back on the floor with her under the now just hot water and hold onto her for dear life “I’m sorry the move is messed up baby” she stutters out between sobs and I shush her, It’s not important right now. “It’s OK Rose we’ll put it off for a week or two” she nods against my bare chest, fingers gripping my waist tighter.
“Let’s get out baby and go to bed” she let’s me pick her up, wrap her in a towel and lead her by the hand back out into her bedroom, I dry her body and her hair while she sits and watches my every move, I try to find something comfortable for her to sleep in “No Marshall, I want us to sleep naked, I need to feel you next to me, just our skin”  I smile and silently will my body to behave it has so far so maybe my dick understands that now is not a good time.
She crawls in under the comforter and pulls up a side for me to slide on and she crawls on me, practically laying out along the length of me, she reaches up and her fingers softly stroke my hair where it meets the back of my neck, she sighs deeply once and I know she’s gone, pure exhaustion taking over her, moving us both onto our sides I keep our bodies joined closely together and holding her tightly I fall asleep myself.

When I finally surface the next day its near midday and I’m alone, getting up and pulling on some sweat pants I head out to the kitchen to find Rose and Tristan sitting at the breakfast table moving cereals round their bowls with spoons but not actually eating anything, I move towards Rose and kiss the top of her head before moving into the kitchen to get myself some cereal to play with “any news guys?” they both shake their heads looking sullenly at their bowls “No news is good news, shall we get together the bits your mom wanted and then go to the hospital!” I make a suggestion hoping to bring them out of their current state, Rose looks over at me and half smiles “yes please Marsh” they both leave and get ready Rose spends an hour looking for the stuff for her mom and dad. “come on Rose, Tris stands by the car yelling for his sister to hurry up as she potters around looking for things.
Eventually she comes out glaring at Tristan and gets in the car, slamming the fucking door off it’s hinges. She’s got to be feeling angry at all the crappy shit they keep getting  thrown at them, I rest my hand on her thigh and she covers it with her own as I drive us to the hospital, I’m left to park while they practically sprint inside, I take a good look around before I get out of the car and pulling my hoodie up to hide my face I exit the car and enter the hospital reception and walk down to here dad’s room. I just peek in the door not wanting to disturb their family time together and step out again, But I notice Dave is awake and he sees me “Marshall get the hell in here” I hear him call weakly and I step inside “Good to see you awake, you gave us all a fright” I stand awkwardly at the end of his bed and notice Rose has her head buried on the bed beside him her shoulders are shaking, so I know she’s crying.

Christine looks absolutely wiped out “Guys did you bring the stuff I asked for?” Rose looks up quickly “Oh my god, Mom I’m so sorry I left it by the door, I’ll go home and get it right now” she cries a little harder now until her mom tells her it’s aright “I’ll go Rose, you stay with your family, I’ll be real quick”
Rose smiles gratefully at me and I kiss her quickly before returning to her Mom’s house and retrieving the forgotten bag.

Back at the hospital I find Rose alone outside her dad’s room “Hey thanks for going back and getting it Marsh” she kisses me quickly before opening the door and placing it inside. “I need to speak to you Marshall!” she’s acting kind of weird and I don’t know what to make of it, I know she’s had a massive shock but I feel like something else is wrong in that instant.
“What’s up baby?” I try to sound cheerful, cheerful to ward off anything that feels wrong.
“I love you Marshall but I’m going to have to postpone the move I’m afraid!” she sounds frightened as she tells me “It’s OK baby I thought we might have to, for a couple of weeks, it’s no problem really” I try to reassure her the best I can but she still looks scared.
“The thing is Marshall it could be a bit longer, my mom can’t work and look after my dad. So I’m going to move in with them and look after him so she can work still” my heart starts to beat faster and my palms begin to sweat, usually a sign that I’m going to hear something I don’t want to.

“How much Longer Rose” she takes my hand before she speaks again “Two maybe three months, we can still do weekends, but they might have to be here a bit more” My head starts to hurt, up to three months. I look away from her unable to meet her eyes as anger begins building in me and I snatch my hand away, she looks startled at me “Marshall” I walk away I just need a minute to think, three more months without her I don’t know if I can do it.
I begin to feel more and more irrational and stalk back towards her, she’s still outside the room “I can’t do it Rose, I can’t wait that long. I love you” she has tears in her eyes as she looks at me “it’ll fly past Marshall, I promise you.” She pleads with me and the irrational side of my brain refuses to acknowledge this is the right thing for her to do, Of course I can wait a bit longer, three months is nothing. But my fears take over and begin to speak for me.

“You're fucking kidding me!” my temper gets the better of me and I'm vaguely aware of people looking over at us,  Rose puts her hand on my arm in an attempt to calm me “No" I shake her off “you have two weeks Rose,  my jet will be here waiting in two weeks,  if you don't get on it.  I'll know you choose them over me" she can't speak, she's too stunned by my outburst.  I turn my back on her and walk out of the hospital.