Chapter Seven - Rose

Written by: Ilyluna13

Marshall's smart-ass attitude will be the death of me. For some reason, at times, I find it charming. At others, I feel myself getting annoyed. It does bring the smart-ass out in me, which is how my typical non-heartbroken self always has been. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see him stealing glances from time to time. However, his playfulness quickly ended as I was driving. I'm not sure if I said or did something that made him uncomfortable, but I am too nervous to ask.
The silence in the car is deafening. I feel like I've lost the ability to talk. He's started playing with his phone, probably to distract himself from this car ride...

I decide to grab something quick for us to eat and before I know it, we are pulling into the hotel parking lot.
As I find a spot to park, Marshall snaps his head at me and says, "Go around the back and drop me out, room number 509, I'll meet you up there." His tone is authoritative, and, since I am currently unable to speak I don't say anything, I just do as he says.

After Marshall got out of the car, he practically ran inside and I found a spot, parked, and now I am just sitting here having a torturous debate with myself. How long do I stay? What will we talk about? What movie will we watch? Why am I so uncomfortable? To ease my mind and get some clarity, I decide to call my brother. After several rings, he finally picks up.

Tristan: "You know it's rude to be on your phone during a date..."

Rose: "Why am I doing this again? I should just go home right...I shoul--"

T: "Ughhhh... wait, where are you? Can he hear you?"

R: "No, I dropped him at the door and I am sitting in the car.... I'm supposed to go in with our food and watch a movie. I don't think he is looking for anything with me, but this feels wrong."

Tristan sighed and when he spoke up next; his tone was irritated at best.

T: "So what you are just going to run back to your empty house and be miserable forever. Doesn't sound like he's trying to steal you away and marry you tomorrow. Just go in and stop being so stubborn. Let your guard down."

I was silently fuming and shocked beyond words, but even I have to admit he has a point. Marshall is a much needed distraction at times, but I'm so confused.

R: "I'll call you later."

T: "Wait..."

I hang up the phone, grab the food, and run inside before I could change my mind. I make it to his room and knock. Marshall has a smug smile, " I thought you ditched me." I laugh at his comment, "Ehh I thought about, bet that's never happened to you before, Ya know there is a first time for everything...." I smirked at Marshall and turned to walk back toward the elevator.
He grabbed my arm, pulled me back into his room, and quickly shut the door. I gasped, a look of shock probably on my face, he was standing so close to me. His eyes narrowed and he softly said, "Don't you dare walk away from me."

We had such a fun night. He was so easy to talk to, and it was as if we had been friends forever.

I think we were both starting to get tired, it was 2am after all, and I made a motion to clean up a little from our dinner and go home. He stopped me and motioned for me to sit back on the couch beside of him.
After a moment he spoke, "You are such a mystery to me, Rose," his expression was soft, "Tell me somethin' else. I already know your favorite color is purple, you have a love hate relationship with your job, you are obsessed with football, your favorite season is summer, you love to eat but aren't obnoxious about it..." he trailed off and it was silent for a moment before he continued, "but I still feel like I don't anything about the real you. What are you hiding? Please let me in at least a little."
He looked so sincere in this moment. Almost like, he was begging.